What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simpson oil solvent - 190 proof alcohol?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bazarocka- those countertop distillers are notorious for having dubious plastics in the vapor path- I'd steer clear...

Good point! Especially recovering 190 proof. They are designed to extract about $8.00/liter 120 proof from a fermented sugar wash.

graywolf has constructed a unit to recover ethanol. they are pretty straight forward.

Sweet. I was thinking a one gallon copper distiller designed for that purpose and a scientific hotplate would work great.

I realized I can't buy 190 proof in my state or have it shipped here. That sucks! I did see there is a license to buy it that you can get from the state. I suppose I'll have to make a company to get the license. It's only $10 a year for the license though - not a big deal I guess.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Recovering ethanol = easy.
Distilling 190 ethanol= not easy. Simpler stills (such as a pot still) physically cannot. You need a reflux-type still.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet. I was thinking a one gallon copper distiller designed for that purpose and a scientific hotplate would work great.

I realized I can't buy 190 proof in my state or have it shipped here. That sucks! I did see there is a license to buy it that you can get from the state. I suppose I'll have to make a company to get the license. It's only $10 a year for the license though - not a big deal I guess.

As Z notes, 190 proof is easier to recover than to produce.

However, if you were to redistill the 80 proof vodka or higher available to you in a refluxing still, you can get it up to a 190 proof azeotropic mixure.

Usually that is done by installing a column packed with copper or stainless wool, specialty rings (Raching?), or even glass marbles, so that the vapors are continually refluxed as they pass up the column. At the top of the column, there are different ways to use chilled coils to condense the vapors and recycle part of them, so that the output can be tuned.

There are lots of design examples on line, if you Google whiskey making or stills.

hesaidgrow

rso and distiller

rso and distiller

Hi GW and forum. I'm late to this post though it is still relevant. I wanted to ask or mention that I have one of those countertop distillers that were designed for essential oil distilling from the factory (megahome)I am hoping to recover the 190 proof alcohol I am using to make some RSO. (making RSO using dry ice to keep everything reall really cold and avoid the chlorophyll)

MedicalMilitia

Relative to other solvents how good would 190 proof organic grape alcohol be for making Rick Simpson oil? I think it would be safer for the patient than isopropyl, but would it be as effective?

For sure! Any food grade alcohol over 70% works fine, I use 94%. Although I also use 99% Iso sometimes.

Latest posts

Latest posts