What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Turntable 2020

methias

Good morning all.

First off I wanted to thank everyone at icmag for all the support and information. My grows keep improving because of tips and advice from you all.

Let's go. I harvested my Venom OG last week https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=369434 and it's time to reload the turntable. I have a Cheese clone that I cloned in a little bottle of water on the window sill late October. By mid November she had roots but she also started to flower.
I didn't take into consideration that mom was in a box with a schedule of 18/6 and it was the end of October with diminishing sunlight. The window sill cloning was really just a quick test with an extra cutting and nowhere else to put it. But it worked.
I put her in soil and returned her to the mom / clone cabinet to revegg with 18/6 as before.
By the start of December she was back vegging and in the queue to ride the turntable once the Venom OG Judy finished her ride.

My new Judy resides in a 5 gallon fabric pot and is enjoying the turntable ride with 18 / 6 for the next 2 weeks.

The turntable,

Plywood base with a heavy duty lazy susan and a round board on top of that. You can see the metal lazy susan sandwiched between the wood.
The drive motor is a 12 volt geared motor that I attached a A/C compressor rubber foot. I made a gravity slide for the motor so the rubber foot (drive wheel) sets on the edge of the circular board and that creates enough friction to turn the turntable.
The drive wheel and motor.

Judy is not very tall yet so she is on her booster chair (cut down blue bucket) to get the best lighting till she gets taller.

More soon.

Vape on kids.

Last edited:

methias

And here she is

and and

I like to use pipe cleaners to tie down (train) my judys. They're cheap and easy to use and gentle on Judy.
The stick is for when her buds get heavy and need to be supported. A really good example of why that's needed is shown here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=369434

Trussed up she fits the turntables limited space but manages to get good light penetration to all of her.

SAFETY TIP
The ping pong ball on the top is to keep me from poking my eye out on the stick when I am inspecting her daily.

I gotta think that there are some (now) one eyed growers out there who wish they got that safety tip sooner.:watchplant:

We're about 2 weeks from Judy going to 12/12. I'll get a pic or two when I make the change over and I will do my best to provide update pics regularly. Unless I get really baked and space it out (again).

That reminds me that I gotta check the drying box to see how Judy is doing.

Vape on kids

methias

Welcome Starke,
Good to see you skulking around icmag today.
I am always looking for suggestions or recommendations on improving my grows.

Vape on

methias

Just a quick pic from above.

Pipe cleaners to train her,
Judy is a Cheese from European seeds. That's all I know.
She has 7 branches. Each branch has 2 shoots except the top which has 3. Expecting 15 cola's lollipopped.
It's early but at 9 inches I'm going 12/12. I gotta save room for a big stretch.

Vape on kids

methias

Flipping over

Flipping over

Hello and welcome all,

I'm flipping to 12 / 12 today. Judy reached the 9" target and so it's time to let the stretch begin.

I'm taking the pipe cleaners off tonight. They got Judy to spread wide and now I shouldn't have to tie her till she gets heavy buds that should need supporting.

:laughing:

Vape on kids

methias

Week 2 12/12

Week 2 12/12

Time for an update.

Today marks 2 weeks of 12/12 and I remembered to get pics.
Judy is now directly on the turntable. Booster chair is gone.
I decided to replace the center post with a slightly taller one.
The top of the ping pong ball is 21 inches now.
First two pics are on the sides. Sorry.

And

I had a cup dispenser from a 5 gallon cooler.
I drilled holes in the bottom, filled it with soil and stuck a newly cloned Alien OG sprout in. She went directly to 12/12. We shall see..

This is with most of the reds off for more true colors.
Side

And from above

The white pot in the upper right corner is wheat grass for the cat.
I made a little corner shelf to keep him in grass.

Vape on kids

Last edited:

methias

Here she is with all the lights on.

Again you can see the kitty grass growing in the right corner area. My grow hutch keeps both me and my kitty in grass all year long.:cathug: its a dual purpose hutch.

The little black & white thing on the left edge of the pic is a wifi camera so that I can see how things are doing on my phone from anywhere.
Also all the lights are on Sonoff wifi switches and I make timing changes on the fly from my phone.

So 6-7 weeks to go to harvest and things are going well. :tiphat:

Vape on kids

methias

I think the light from every angle concept coupled with the "Lydar" effect you get from quantum type lights with dozens of individual light sources marries well with a turntable. At least for me

Looking good again. You have inspired me to try my own turntable setup.

If you do, Spend the extra bit on a turntable ring rated for 1000 pounds at least.
Amazon has them for under $20.00.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ix+PNZI5L.jpg

Vape on kids...:tiphat:

methias

12/12 + 29 days.

12/12 + 29 days.

Hi all.
Just realized that I am overdue for an update on Judy on the turntable.

Well she is doing pretty good.

That large rectangular heat sink up front got harvested from an old Mars Hydro 300. I slapped two cheap 12 volt 50 watt (they claimed) $2.00 COB's on it with thermal tape, attached (sort of) a 50mm fan to blow across it and cheap quick led fixture to wire into my grids.

Just the door open. The front quantum board swings out for easier access

Starting to get a little frosty,,

Just for fun. Straight up
My HLG 65w 4k quantum
Next my violet leds
Then my deep Red cob and finally my cookie sheet QB.

Trust me when I say that you don't want to see the back and upper wiring on this.
:tiphat:
VAPE on kids

Judy spins 24 hours a day. Each spin takes about 8 minutes.

imakandi

Hi all.

That large rectangular heat sink up front got harvested from an old Mars Hydro 300. I slapped two cheap 12 volt 50 watt (they claimed) $2.00 COB's on it with thermal tape, attached (sort of) a 50mm fan to blow across it and cheap quick led fixture to wire into my grids.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82143&pictureid=2013597&thumb=3]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82143&pictureid=2013596&thumb=3]View Image[/url]

My HLG 65w 4k quantum
Next my violet leds

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82143&pictureid=2013598&thumb=3]View Image[/url]

Trust me when I say that you don't want to see the back and upper wiring on this.
VAPE on kids

WOW
this crazy !!! insane!
love it!

will follow
best luck
:huggg:

Hi all.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82143&pictureid=2013597&thumb=3]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82143&pictureid=2013596&thumb=3]View Image[/url]

My HLG 65w 4k quantum
Next my violet leds

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82143&pictureid=2013598&thumb=3]View Image[/url]

VAPE on kids

Hey bro.. everything looks really cool, but I don’t know if I could sleep at night for fear of fire.. there are soooo many loose wires/hanging electronics, then to top it off a constantly moving plant that could potentially grow into them overnight.

My only advice is to secure and streamline all of your wiring and fixtures. Be safe and grow on :peacock::tiphat:

methias

Hey bro.. everything looks really cool, but I don’t know if I could sleep at night for fear of fire.. there are soooo many loose wires/hanging electronics, then to top it off a constantly moving plant that could potentially grow into them overnight.

My only advice is to secure and streamline all of your wiring and fixtures. Be safe and grow on :peacock::tiphat:

I hear you.
But I love bailing wire.
:woohoo:

Seriously, safety first.
With that in mind the cabinet main 120 VAC power is on a really good GFCI and everything inside the box is 12 VDC. I have automotive 3, 5, and 7.5 amp fuses protecting all power cords. I did have a branch catch on a light last grow. The branch bent (almost broke off) and the light stayed where I hung it with bailing wire.:tiphat:

I've spent a lot of time making sure that my wire sizes exceed the lights need and fuses are as small as will still work without popping.
I love low volt systems.

Vape on kids

methias

It looks like a mad scientists laboratory!

So you had to throw down the gauntlet.

Mad indeed,
Who here remembers old pictures of original geeks (what the OG really means) wearing suits and ties working in a room full of boxy devices connecting hundreds and hundreds of wires creating our first computers. It took a special kind of mind to put that all together and make it work.

Now I'm not claiming to be an electrical engineer or some kind of computer genius.
But Mad?

Besides whats science got to do with it?

OK,
Enough rambling.
First shot is looking in from upper left corner of the door to far corner

Gives you a fair shot of my cookie sheet QB top center.

Next, above the grow area but still inside the box.

Everything but the exhaust exits the box through the rear of the cabinet.
This shot is with the side maintenance cover off and the rear of the cabinet is on the left.

I have to admit that it took me a while to get the wiring right, but with automotive relays, 120VAC relays, power supplies,,,, there was a lot to account for.

Scary? Possibly,
But Mad?

This is the back side of judys turntable wonderland.

They called Edison, the Wright brothers, and even Alfred E Newman mad.
But none of them did this.....

Vape on kids :tiphat: