What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Current medical situation in Canada?

VI-guy

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me clarify the current rules and any issues I may run into.

I have a fantastic doctor we have a great relationship and a mutual respect.

He was one of the first to take the initiative to get up to speed on prescription Cannabis and is happy to prescribe it to his pain patients over opiates and such if they are open to the idea.

He previously prescribed me and sent it directly to a Licenced producer. This was some time ago.
I can't smoke ingest or vape any flower that has been decarbed. THC doesn't agree with me and never has. Terrible anxiety and discomfort regardless of my mindset And setting etc. I'm just one of those unlucky people

However growing as I do. I was approached by a friend of a friend to provide her with large quantities of fresh uncured not dried product as she was jucing it.

This was the first I'd heard of it and I was fascinated.

Anyway long story short I've since tried it myself and have been blown away with the results.
The only downside is it takes a LOT of fresh herb to make much juice.

I'm using about a pound of fresh herb per day 50/50 leaves and flowers. To have a cup of juice 4 times per day. (herb is soaked in water to help make juicing easier)

It's been amazing for my back pain, anxiety, sleep. Pretty much everything. And no high. (I know this is blasphemy for a lot of people but it works for me)

My issue is this. In Canada the dr has to prescribe a quantity of dried flower per day. And the amount I can produce is based on that.

Health Canada recommends a starting point of 1-3 grams per day. This would allow me to keep 15 plants indoors. Which would maybe last 7-8 days if I was lucky, unfortunately if everything goes perfectly with 45 days of veg and another 8-10 weeks of flower. That would leave me oh... About
100+ days short...

So doing some basic math and using health Canadas authorized grams to allowable plants and storage calculator. if I wanted to grow enough to keep me in juice until next haven't I'd need to have say 220-259 plants which would mean a script for 50 grams dried cannabis. (Their system for prescribing is pretty awful)

Anyway is this even possible for my doctor to do or should I just carry on as I am. I'd really like to be legit under the medical system. As these days I'm only really producing for myself and my sister anyway.

Any info from voices of experience would be appreciated

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me clarify the current rules and any issues I may run into.

I have a fantastic doctor we have a great relationship and a mutual respect.

He was one of the first to take the initiative to get up to speed on prescription Cannabis and is happy to prescribe it to his pain patients over opiates and such if they are open to the idea.

He previously prescribed me and sent it directly to a Licenced producer. This was some time ago.
I can't smoke ingest or vape any flower that has been decarbed. THC doesn't agree with me and never has. Terrible anxiety and discomfort regardless of my mindset And setting etc. I'm just one of those unlucky people

However growing as I do. I was approached by a friend of a friend to provide her with large quantities of fresh uncured not dried product as she was jucing it.

This was the first I'd heard of it and I was fascinated.

Anyway long story short I've since tried it myself and have been blown away with the results.
The only downside is it takes a LOT of fresh herb to make much juice.

I'm using about a pound of fresh herb per day 50/50 leaves and flowers. To have a cup of juice 4 times per day. (herb is soaked in water to help make juicing easier)

It's been amazing for my back pain, anxiety, sleep. Pretty much everything. And no high. (I know this is blasphemy for a lot of people but it works for me)

My issue is this. In Canada the dr has to prescribe a quantity of dried flower per day. And the amount I can produce is based on that.

Health Canada recommends a starting point of 1-3 grams per day. This would allow me to keep 15 plants indoors. Which would maybe last 7-8 days if I was lucky, unfortunately if everything goes perfectly with 45 days of veg and another 8-10 weeks of flower. That would leave me oh... About
100+ days short...

So doing some basic math and using health Canadas authorized grams to allowable plants and storage calculator. if I wanted to grow enough to keep me in juice until next haven't I'd need to have say 220-259 plants which would mean a script for 50 grams dried cannabis. (Their system for prescribing is pretty awful)

Anyway is this even possible for my doctor to do or should I just carry on as I am. I'd really like to be legit under the medical system. As these days I'm only really producing for myself and my sister anyway.

Definitely not cost effective! Are you sure you are allergic to THC or, is it you haven't found the right strain? Have you tried White Widow, a beautiful strain that leaves you simply content, not racy at all. Then again, it might not work for you.

For years breeders have selectively bred out CBD in favour of THC, all the while increasing the potency of a single component instead of providing a "full-spectrum" medicine.

IMHO you haven't found your strain yet. It's out there!

Somatek

Yes, there are many people with lisences much bigger then 50g/day, some even legitimately juice their cannabis but a lot also just buy big licenses to grow more plants. If you're doctor isn't comfortable writing you a 'script for what you need there are plenty of clinics that'll help for a fee ranging from moderate to extreme. I'd start by talking with your doc and if that doesn't work start looking at clinics, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to hear my experiences with the ones I've used.