What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stirrer Impeller

Anyone have any tips or anecdotes on picking the proper mechanical stirrer impeller style? I will be using it primarily to mix >90% cannabinoid distillate with a de-waxed terpene heavy fraction, with some heat (100F) provided by a hot plate. I don't think a magnetic stirrer will be sufficient.

I'm looking at these: https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=43300-252 . Other sources for the same impellers list different applications/viscosity than WVR lists. I'm thinking radial flow or propeller, but may go with the Visco-Jet® Impellers in plastic, if suitable.

Thanks.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could try a hand blender, they work best when you can move it around in the bowl as you blend. The one pictured has two speeds,

https://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocke...8&qid=1495665487&sr=1-7&keywords=hand+blender

You'd most likely want to slow it down with a Variac, or a solid state motor controller, you could even try a cheap lamp dimmer, but the Variac rules. Get a 110V/20A from eBay or Amazon, last I saw them going for was $85 delivered, it'll come in handy for many other projects.

Attachments

• 61u63yteiFL._SL1200_.jpg
    61u63yteiFL._SL1200_.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 61QbXmP34BL._SL1500_.jpg
    61QbXmP34BL._SL1500_.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 13
You could try a hand blender, they work best when you can move it around in the bowl as you blend. The one pictured has two speeds,

https://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocke...8&qid=1495665487&sr=1-7&keywords=hand+blender

You'd most likely want to slow it down with a Variac, or a solid state motor controller, you could even try a cheap lamp dimmer, but the Variac rules. Get a 110V/20A from eBay or Amazon, last I saw them going for was $85 delivered, it'll come in handy for many other projects.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm more interested in solutions that do not require me to stand in front of the process for the duration.

Are you looking for a full setup or just the impeller?

I have a few of these, they work fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-W-Lab-E...594942?hash=item2a683f243e:g:ZSIAAOSwxehXPSwV

I have already decided on a Heidolph set up, I'm just interested in the relative advantages of one impeller type over another. I would go for a cheaper set up, if it was as reliable and capable as the Heidolph. This lab is getting built from scratch, and is fully funded, so I'm not trying to cut corners...yet.

I definitely recommend the propeller over the radial flow. I'm not sure what container you are mixing in but I don't imagine there are any baffles, in which case you won't get much axial flow without a propeller style mixer. Make sure your stand has a retention strap for the container. If you have a really viscous mixture the whole container can start to rotate on you.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone have any tips or anecdotes on picking the proper mechanical stirrer impeller style? I will be using it primarily to mix >90% cannabinoid distillate with a de-waxed terpene heavy fraction, with some heat (100F) provided by a hot plate. I don't think a magnetic stirrer will be sufficient.

I'm looking at these: https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=43300-252 . Other sources for the same impellers list different applications/viscosity than WVR lists. I'm thinking radial flow or propeller, but may go with the Visco-Jet® Impellers in plastic, if suitable.

Thanks.

I would suggest that you raise the temperature to lower viscosity and use a magnetic stirrer so as to not whip air (oxygen) into the mix.

Once fluid, they should mix readily.

Also less messy than mixing a thick resin with a hand mixer.

Solid advice, easystephen. I'll go with the propeller, then.

Graywolf, I have a hot plate with magnetic stirrer on my buy list, so I'll have both methods available. I haven't tried stirring large batches of distillate with a stir bar before, but I have seen air get whipped into batches using an overhead stirrer, so I will have to have a validation round to determine our best mixing process.

Thanks.

Solid advice, easystephen. I'll go with the propeller, then.

Graywolf, I have a hot plate with magnetic stirrer on my buy list, so I'll have both methods available. I haven't tried stirring large batches of distillate with a stir bar before, but I have seen air get whipped into batches using an overhead stirrer, so I will have to have a validation round to determine our best mixing process.

Thanks.

How much are you planning to mix at a time ?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• 71uM9CTvmyL._SL1500_.jpg
    71uM9CTvmyL._SL1500_.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 81UknzEqmhL._SL1500_.jpg
    81UknzEqmhL._SL1500_.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 71CbowUmGaL._SL1500_.jpg
    71CbowUmGaL._SL1500_.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 71v0iNkVAaL._SL1500_.jpg
    71v0iNkVAaL._SL1500_.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 71E546J5v-L._SL1500_.jpg
    71E546J5v-L._SL1500_.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm thinking those food mixing bowls w/heater would take even longer to liquify distillate than a hot plate would. Just look at the small surface area.

They could be a good solution for an already pre-heated/liquified distillate though. Nice find Sky !!