What's new

Yields BHO vs. Co2

I'm trying to calculate some data pertaining to BHO vs. Co2.

One of the parameters revolves around final yields post-winterization.

Can anyone share based on their experiance what an average yield would be for each extraction method based on a 1,000 g. crude oil starting point?

Some of the data I see suggests that a Co2 extraction will yield as low as 4%-8% post winterization using trim......... with up to 1/2 of what comes out of the extractor lost in winterization. Is that typical of a Co2 extraction ?

In most of the BHO runs I've been a part of, I never have seen more than a 20% loss from crude to post-winterization .......... many times in fact it's less then a 15% loss.

whatthe215

Veteran
Depends on how you're running the CO2 extractor. Higher pressure = higher solvent power (but also lower selectivity,) so you extract the majority of cannabinoids quicker at the cost of also extracting a lot of plant waxes etc.

I've extracted 75% potency wax using lower supercritical pressures but needed to run ~8-10hours to get majority of cannabinoids from the plant material. VS. higher pressures (3500psi+) I can extract the majority of cannabinoids @ ~35-40% potency in 4 hours.

So either you're running the CO2 extractors for more time, or you're spending more time in the lab winterizing.

SlabInTheWild

Pretty similar trade off for hydrocardon. Running colder to pick up less wax, but needing to use more solvent to match the same yield which then translates to a longer recovery time.

Latest posts

Latest posts