What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

Quitters

I can remember other growers in the past complain about various brands, alot due to not being thoroughly pre washed and burning plants, so whats the best out there now days, straight out the bag and not needing pre rinsing ?

:thank you:

slowandeasy

Veteran
Canna is the best IMO, but harder to get than the rest. Does not need pre wash, just pre soak with nutes.

C

Carl Carlson

Here's one that I don't like.

http://fiberdust.com/Bales.htm

Way too fine, way too much loss through the drain holes in pots.

Over the last few years, I've used Bcuzz, Canna, Cocogro and that crap noted above and my favorite is still the GH Cocotek red "mixed" brick. That's also a good for folks that have had trouble "overwatering" their tiny seedlings in coco. I recently attempted to duplicate it with the fiberdust crap and some grodan coco chips, but again the pith was way too fine.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
i like b cuzz coco for fine... and i like sun leaves peace coir for chunky mix... even though yo uhave to wash it -=[

I've used R-Zilla Coco fiber (they sell it as reptile bedding). It seemed to work pretty good, but I've never used it with cannabis.
31Z3XldogdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Therefore, I can't say that it's the best. I wish someone would do some testing of it since it can be found at most chain pet stores and is fairly cheap.

Work2much

Bio-Bizz makes a fine coco. 6.6 PH out of the bag, low PPM. I use this or Canna depending on what store I feel like going to.

FWIW...I use Botanicare's ReadyGro Moisture formula with great results, and have NEVER flushed before using. It's pretty empty...has a couple amendments in it...worm castings, perlite, etc... But I've had great success with it.

Now if I can just find a good ballast.

boroboro

Wow, I think Quitters is going to like you guys. He posted this on another forum and only got one response, and you have 10 answers already for him!

Unfortunately his one response on the other forum was just me, disagreeing with all of you. After a bad experience in a recent crop I've resigned myself to rinsing and pretreating all my coco.

quoting myself is silly said:
I don't have an answer, just another question: Do you really need to avoid pre-rinsing? I've used all sorts of coco, but after one bad experience I always rinse and pre-treat it now. I'm much more re-assured and rest easier knowing for sure that the coco is free of salts (because I measured the rinse runoff ppm), and adequately pre-loaded with nutrients, calcium and magnesium (because I put the nutes in there and measured).

Oh, on topic -- I did find my last few Botanicare coco bales to measure very low on initial runoff ppm.

Oh, and I second the recommendation of the Sunleaves 'chunky' coco or some other chunky coco to mix in. Lately 'Crop Circles' has been the chunky coco stocked around here.

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wave:
bio bizz makes a cocos mix, it's not pure cocos...
I've tried out biobizz, canna cogr and the b'cuzz bounce blocks
.. imo
canna & b'cuzz provide a very good Coco coir
:tiphat:

xcrispi

I'm with Carl on this 1 too .
Red brick CoCoTek .
We buy it by the case full here .
But it's not a bagged coir like your looking for .
Crispi

John Deere

Veteran
Unfortunately his one response on the other forum was just me, disagreeing with all of you. After a bad experience in a recent crop I've resigned myself to rinsing and pretreating all my coco.

Agree 100%. I always rinse, no matter what brand I buy. It's such a simple precaution that it makes no sense to me to skip it.

petemoss

Agree 100%. I always rinse, no matter what brand I buy. It's such a simple precaution that it makes no sense to me to skip it.

Agree 100% here! I've had bad experiences with both Canna and Botanicare bagged coco. Both are supposed to be ready to use right out of the bag, but still had high EC runoff when I tested. Should have tested before I used it! Now I rinse right in the pot or cup with hot water followed by a weak nute solution and cal-mag. Don't trust anyone to properly prepare coco! Do it yourself!

2Lazy

I use Botanicare CocoGro compressed bricks. Expanded with Organicare Calplex, Huvega, Humega, Canna Coco A&B, and Canna Rhizotonic.

My plants LOVE the stuff, with or without a rinse.

mojo420

Canna is the top contender, in my books - but it's buffered to 5.5 so you need to compensate. B'Cuzz is trouble free and so is botanicare bricks and bales... Rinsing either Canna or B'Cuzz is a HUGE waste of time - I don't care how paranoid you are about burning your plants.

M

mrred

so far all coco had done be good, using botanicare now , i dont rise, maybe a little tiny bit of run off to make sure its all expanded good

i dont understand how ec run off could matter, because coco dust makes ec rise dont it? maybe added calcium or mg i read on here that some may add , that youre not suppose to flush anyway