What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New CFL Cab build, Possible for scrog

VI-guy

Ok well I have learned from my mistakes in my last cabinet.

Namely having no ventilation and too many lights in a small space.
For now the plants are surviving in there, but I have started building a new cab, and I am thinking about going with scrog if the plants start looking sutiable for it, Im going to have to put them idn bigger pots and let them start getting some serious roots though.

Any thoughts or comments and questions are appreciated.

Heres the shelf / cab I started with

picture.php

Then I removed the shelf

picture.php

and installed a backing wall on it
picture.php

Then I took the old shelf and drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in it
that will get mounted at the top of the cab to pull air up past the lights and suck the heat out. There will be 2 passive holes in the bottom for air intake.

picture.php

picture.php

Then I decided to make my little 2 speed fan into a homemade can filter, using things I had laying around.

picture.php

picture.php

I can then pack the can with activated charcoal, dryer sheets, basically anything I want, gives me a chance to experiment.

here it is installed on the top of the cab

picture.php

I then painted 2 coats of flat white ceiling paint inside the cab, it looks like it will need maybe 2 more to be nice and bright white.

picture.php

Heres what I have so far

picture.php

Im going to install lights and plants tommorow.

The door is just a sheet of 1/4" ply that will be screwed on, and be taken off the same way.

I also noticed the thermometor and humidity gauge? humidex? that I got doesnt work very well so I am going to get a digital wireless one.

stay tuned

Attachments

• IM000998.JPG
    IM000998.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IM000999.JPG
    IM000999.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IM001000.JPG
    IM001000.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 5
  • IM001001.JPG
    IM001001.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 6

VI-guy

Trying to decide whether or not to put the plants that I have going in here already or not, considering getting some decent seeds of a known strain, though the adventure of growing some bagseeds is kind of appealing. I will probably continue flowering out these ones and see what I can learn before I spend a bunch of money on good seeds.

VI-guy

The fan its self is very quiet, there is some sort of low frequency noise , like a vibration from the cab, but I have yet to put the door on and try it, I will find out tonight, hopefully with the door on it should be nice and quiet, if not I have a feeling taking the casters off and having it sit flat on the floor will solve the problem.

VI-guy

Tonights Goals:

Get lights installed and wired, get plants transplanted from 16 oz cups to 1 gallon pot.
Drill passive air intake holes in bottom of box and make light proof.

seal up a couple of small cracks in the top section of the box.

fire her up and check temps and put it into action.

I will document with pics of course

VI-guy

Day 2, up and running

Day 2, up and running

Ok So tonight I..

-Installed the five light fixtures, and realized I have room for 2 more on the ceiling of the cab.

so with socket splitters I will end up with 10 23 watt cfl on the walls at roughly 1600 lumen apiece that will give 16000 lumen from the wall mounted ones, then I plan to add 2 more fixtures with splitters from the ceiling with 4 / 40 watt cfl @ 2700 lumen adding another 10800 lumen for a total of 26800 lumen.

with the size of the cab being 25" x 14.5" on the floor which would work out to 362.5 in/sq. That would work out to roughly 73 lumen per in/sq.

Is that somewhere in the productive range?

Heres the light fixtures in.

picture.php

Next I drilled the passive holes in the bottom of the Cabinet and then made some sketchy cheap light blocks from some cardboard tube.
it will work for now until I get some ABS.
picture.php

picture.php

Then I transplanted the girls, I was amazed at the root growth, I think they will be way happier in their new pots and in their new cab. The transplant went alot smoother then I would have hoped, so hopefully the girls will recover quickly and get back to growing.

picture.php

happy in their new pots

picture.php

and again in their new house.

picture.php

So far so good, I watered them with a light mix of rainwater and a bit of 15-30-15

Again any comments, input and questions are appreciated, Im kinda figuring this out as I go.

Cheerwe

VI-guy

Anyone have any theories on the leaves on the one plant wanting to curl downward at their tips? anything to worry about?

VI-guy

well its been a few days since I've seen the girls, I actually think having the screw on door is a good thing and will keep me from messing with the plants all the time... I will pull off the doory tonight and have a look though.

VI-guy

End of the month pics

End of the month pics

Oh not much is changing so Im going to stop posting a ton of photos other then one or two every 10 days or so keep yas updated.

The girls seem to be adjusting well to their new spacious cooler and less humid home.

I must have done a decent job of transplanting them too because they seem very happy and growing quickly.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Could be over watering a bit. Make sure you let it dry out properly between waterings/feedings

Setup looks nice, simple straight to the point.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Looks like an EasyBake Oven.

A 1" hole does NOT equal 1 si. Four 1" holes do NOT equal one 4" hole. You'd need Thirty Two (32) 1" holes to feed a 4" fan. The example uses a 9" hole but, makes the point.

VI-guy

Note: I opened up the cab today to check on a light, and noticed the nicecest piney/citrus smell... interesting.. ;)

VI-guy

The Cab is finally light tight, so I can stop piling laundry on top of it during the day, The girls are doing very well and I will post a few more pics in a couple days

VI-guy

Update

Update

well the girls have seemed kind of stunted for the last week and a half, I did top one though so that is to be expected.

I have a feeling they are severly malnourished, so In keeping with my organic experiment, I dug up some awesome compost today and transplanted both plants into one big tub, and packed amazing compost and vermiculite all around them, this should give them lots more room for root development as well as enough nutiriton for the rest of their lives.

heres a few pics, I expect massive growth in the next week so I will post more in 10 days

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php