What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

broad mites ?

cabo5150

any help would be great thanks IMG_7566.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
They look like aphids.

If you really have to eliminate them from an indoor grow, try a combination of the recommended amounts of neem oil, pyrethrin and just enough dish soap to dissolve the neem oil in water. That hits the insects on several levels all at once. Aphids are soft bodied insects that are easy to dessicate even with just dish soap.

However if you're outdoor or don't care about a few insects, you should check out this setup:

1/4 inch layer of soft carbon mulch like hemp bedding, straw, etc.
a sprinkling of calorie like oat flakes, banana, etc.
light soil
hot soil/supersoil/etc.
grow rocks
spacer
planter's water reservoir or watering mat with external reservoir

What this setup does, is make sure the plants is consistenly watered (and fed), and supply calories and carbon for mycorrhizal fungi and bacteria, which then turn the nutrients in the soil into food the plant can use, on a continous basis.

By creating an environment that is good for fungi in the soil, you're also stimulating fungi that grow throughout the plant, called endophytic fungi. These fungi protect the plants against insect attacks and fungal attacks. They even produce penecillin.

By stimulating them, even when insects show up, they just don't do a lot of damage, and the plant keeps growing and growing.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you use neem oil, please let the end users know. I, and a growing number of others, will say no thank you. If you have to use oil, use a horticultural oil which is neem and azadirahctin free. Ty :D

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
If you use neem oil, please let the end users know. I, and a growing number of others, will say no thank you. If you have to use oil, use a horticultural oil which is neem and azadirahctin free. Ty :D
What's wrong with neem oil?

By the way - you can use any vegetable oil too (sunflower, olive, etc.) and have the same smothering effect minus the azadarachtin.

Neem has had hundreds or more years of human use without known side effects. People put neem on their face, add it to grains an antifeedant for insects, etc.

Douglas.Curtis

What's wrong with neem oil?
So far? Several million people seem to have sensitivities to it, when it's been absorbed by cannabis and then smoked/ingested. It causes symptoms almost identical to Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS).

The main differences with aza are constipation, instead of diarrhea, and occasional bouts of hypothermia. You don't get hypothermia or constipation from CHS, only aza.

So, while there are millions of people who've been suffering from CHS symptoms, the last count is over 2 million, I personally believe most of them do not have CHS. In the last 7 years of talking to people about it, I estimate 90% or more have aza issues and not CHS.

:thank you:

cabo5150

this is outdoor grow I bought some neem haven't use it yet sprayed with some Dr Bronners soap it knocked them down pretty still have them bought some mighty wash waiting on it mail.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Lady birds are a great organic way to get rid of aphids. The only problem is once the food supply disappears so do the lady birds.
1920px-Coccinella_magnifica01.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
So far? Several million people seem to have sensitivities to it, when it's been absorbed by cannabis and then smoked/ingested. It causes symptoms almost identical to Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS).

The main differences with aza are constipation, instead of diarrhea, and occasional bouts of hypothermia. You don't get hypothermia or constipation from CHS, only aza.

So, while there are millions of people who've been suffering from CHS symptoms, the last count is over 2 million, I personally believe most of them do not have CHS. In the last 7 years of talking to people about it, I estimate 90% or more have aza issues and not CHS.

:thank you:
I guess you could replace neem oil with organic, non-GMO (i.e. Roundup containing) edible vegetable oil.

Regarding Neem's toxicity - 2 ml is a lot of oil - these children received 25-60 ml.

Neem oil poisoning: Case report of an adult with toxic encephalopathy

In children, there are several case reports of Neem oil poisoning causing vomiting, hepatic toxicity, metabolic acidosis, and encephalopathy.[2,3,4] Lai et al., reported 22 cases of neem oil poisoning in infants, who were given single doses of Neem oil (few drops to 5 ml), presented with features of toxic encephalopathy, metabolic acidosis, and hepatic toxicity. The infants recovered completely with supportive treatment.[3] Sundaravalli et al., in a case series of 12 children with neem oil poisoning, who were given single dose of Neem oil (25-60 ml), reported fatality in 10 cases with features of toxic encephalopathy and metabolic acidosis.[4] Sinnaih et al., reported Reyes–like syndrome in fatal cases of Neem oil poisoning in a case series of 13 children.[2]

In adults, there are few case reports of Neem poisoning.

Douglas.Curtis

I guess you could replace neem oil with organic, non-GMO (i.e. Roundup containing) edible vegetable oil.
I'm actually against oils, but yes castor, probably corn and a whole lot of other oils do the same thing without an active ingredient in them. Neem has azadirachtin which becomes systemic for much longer than 30 days, so you're saved some work by not having to reapply as often.
Regarding Neem's toxicity - 2 ml is a lot of oil - these children received 25-60 ml.

Neem oil poisoning: Case report of an adult with toxic encephalopathy
Someone has posted this in literally every one of the dozen or so threads on the subject. Those of us with an aza sensitivity don't seem to care what the studies on non-cannabis say.

As for dosage level, it depends on the neem and azadirachtin strength varies between 200-2000ppm per ounce of oil. BIG difference.

I read of a reference to "cannabis sickness" in texts from India, right around the time neem was discovered and was used in everything for a hundred? or so years. It also may be a 'modern society' type issue. Most likely a missing bacteria in the gut from over use of antibiotics (strong antibiotics) in infancy. There are many more people in the USA and EU with this issue, vs. other parts of the world.

thailer

Those of us with an aza sensitivity don't seem to care what the studies on non-cannabis say.

there's people at grasscity that do care doug. they want info and theres people posting all the time about suffering with this. i told you about this a long time ago that maybe your message would be better received there. seems like it's not here and it seems like a simple thread for someone who has aphids has turned into a CHS thread. honestly i would have more issue with pyrethrins and i don't understand why you can only focus on the neem when pyrethrins can cause more harm. people slather this stuff all over themselves like lotion. i use it on my dog. the only thing that neem has killed is this dead horse thats being drug around. :beat-dead

the mighty wash will work fine. be sure to lightly spray the topsoil because aphids are there too. lady birds worked well for an indoor farm but i heard that smaller indoor rooms have issues. my personal favorite is spinosad with a little stylet oil just to help as a spreader sticker.