What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have You Been Growing Micro-Greens for a Small Family for Years?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hey :D

When I go looking for microgreen information, I find it almost as confusing and contradictory as cannabis was at first.

My goal is to set up and maintain a micro-green farm for 3 people, and I'm starting with spinach seeds. I have a few questions for those of you who have experience with this. I would like to have a little too much, vs. less than we need. The plan is to make them a twice-daily addition to our food supply.

- What sources do you recommend for accurate information?
- What process do you recommend for spinach?
- How much shelf space for 3 people?
- What spectrums/lights have you tested?
- What stumbling blocks did you wish you'd been more prepared for?
- As a novice to micro-greens, what questions should I be asking?

Greatly appreciate any help on this, I'm seriously working on reducing my projects so I have more time. lol
:tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A raised bed helps. We grow a few different spinach's, kale, of course lettuce, gourmet 7 variety (heirloom). Just planted spinach, carrots, different radishes and peas. Lettuce this next week, spinach end of March, 36 lat.

Instead of canning, we eat it fresh, or wash/dry/freeze (no blanching) spinach for soups, quiche, eggs other recipes. Canned spinach reminds me of sewer slime in a can growing up. :(

And always, we grow for us, the freezer and give away.

We use our LED's to start tomatoes, chiles and other plants. Haven't grown indoors to fruition.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

I found a mix of 2700K & 5000K color temps works best - for greens, e.g. leafy plants like lettuce.

I tried 6 cannabis plants under the same light mix. The male plants seemed to like it. The female plants, not so much.

I noticed that the Home Depot $100 light some members are raving about (for cannabis) is 5000K color temp.

BlackBart

Veteran
Its a Specialty item and sells really well in restaurants .

We grew it for years in our GH business .

We got $40.00 Per Pound but it takes a lot to grow a pound .

We switched over to gutters later on for a bigger harvest .

Micros grow super fast and easy .

I got all my seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine

Attachments

• 902994_4801667404532_1848306974_o.jpg
    902994_4801667404532_1848306974_o.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 42

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. :D

50/50 2700K/5000K? Yes, I'm looking for the optimal spectrum for veg. Right?

Right now we're interested in food. lol We live rather remote from cities and only have a few restaurants in a 2hr driving range. I'll check out the Curtis Stone videos and see what could be applicable. Thanks :)

Gutters? You grew hydro or is it easier, more convenient, more nutrient dense with soil? I like the idea of using soil, and having a few worm bins for recycling. I'm completely ok with hydro, and prefer timers for watering and such. lol

I saw Johnny's listed among some others. Seed is by far the most expensive, and you can bet I'll be making my own asap. :) I have spinach seeds on the way. Nutrient dense, easy, tasty. :D

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. :D

50/50 2700K/5000K? Yes, I'm looking for the optimal spectrum for veg. Right?

Right now we're interested in food. lol We live rather remote from cities and only have a few restaurants in a 2hr driving range. I'll check out the Curtis Stone videos and see what could be applicable. Thanks :)

Gutters? You grew hydro or is it easier, more convenient, more nutrient dense with soil? I like the idea of using soil, and having a few worm bins for recycling. I'm completely ok with hydro, and prefer timers for watering and such. lol

I saw Johnny's listed among some others. Seed is by far the most expensive, and you can bet I'll be making my own asap. :) I have spinach seeds on the way. Nutrient dense, easy, tasty. :D

The gutter idea is great! Thinking hydroponic for this although, being, organic....enriched soil the best!

woolybear

Veteran
I found a mix of 2700K & 5000K color temps works best - for greens, e.g. leafy plants like lettuce.

I tried 6 cannabis plants under the same light mix. The male plants seemed to like it. The female plants, not so much.

I noticed that the Home Depot $100 light some members are raving about (for cannabis) is 5000K color temp.

Would u have a link to that home depot light?