What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old School Kentucky Strains

KyBudz

Here’s Kentucky Red Hair Skunk... 34 days in.. smells like burnt hair and fresh dug fertile soil.

0799D08A-B111-471F-9AC3-7B2074B2213F.jpg

numberguy

kybudz got it figured out or green in a bag seeded, the best seeds are stored in the bud. show up empty handed your likely to leave empty handed. a played out pure variety is more valuable than a tried to improve cross.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I smoked probably the best skunk weed ever in the mid 90s. You couldn't hold the smoke down 3 sec without coughing your lungs up. Man it was strong stuff, I think the guy said it come from OH....so it's hard to say. There's definitely some old hillbilly strains id put up against anything if you could find them. Like I said prescription drugs took alot of weed smokers and growers. The need for weed/strain wasn't as much of concern for these generation because there dealing with addiction. And honestly anybody ever been dope sick knows weed Is like the last thing you want. Tight circles im sure have some killer, but the good stuff it's hard to say,

I saw you say this in another post.
My experience is the opposite. While cannabis didn't take away the pain of being dopesick, it most definitely helped take my mind off it.
I was lucky to have access to cannabis, when getting off the methadone, and opiates. Clean for almost three years now

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congrats CannaRed I worked at a rehab inpatient detox unit some time ago.
Some of the most gut wrenching shit,unfortunately you see many of the same faces time after time.
It takes persistence,innerstrength,and a solid support system.
Good on you brother,stay strong.

Little pig

I grew Kentucky red hair in 95.we had a monster patch of it.i culled all the males because back then there was always killer seeds around.The best was ———- county juicy fruit.It was a 4’ Indy with dark red hairs and dark sugar maple leaves.To this day anyone who tried it says nothing else has compared to hers .Super super potent with the sweetest taste I’ve ever had.It wasn’t Sensi seeds Sativa,it looked 100% Indica.A lot of our growers got hooked on oxy’s and a bunch started ordering seeds from Amsterdam.Every body believed it was better dope and quit growing our local weed.i remember never had to worry much about mold now it plagues everyone because most of the ordered seeds were acclimated to indoor climates.

purple clouds

Veteran
A report from a reproduction I did.

Mexican Death Sativa - Old Kentucky Cornbread Mafia Strain. All were similar with little differences mainly in bud size + formation. Also the terps were similar with females differing in levels of a certain terps then others. They were fully seeded buds so Im sure seedless will have a fuller terp profile and potency should be better even though the seeded buds can compete with elite clones. When growing these be careful of male preflowers on the females. I thought every plant was a male at first. I have not had any problems with plants herming on mature aged plants. Flower time is around 11-13 weeks.

Mexican Death Sativa #5 - Slight body high(heavy/relaxed) with a quick head rush of energy. Activates the throat chakra, has some euphoria. Taste is greasy afghan, musk, strongly of lemons, and a little skunky.

Mexican Death Sativa #4 - Very hard hitting stone that hits the head then goes through the body with an energy. While being relaxing at the same time. Taste is fruity, musky, sweet, lemon-lime, hints of berries and more flavors but i can’t identify them. Focused thoughts to get things done or drift into art. Most resinous female. Mexican Death Sativa #6 - Hard hitting stone to the head with confused rush thoughts. Stimulating body high that creeps into a relaxing body high in a few minutes. Musky, frankincense, and lemon flavor. Largest yielding plant.

Mexican Death Sativa #3 - Greasy afghan, musky, lemon flavors. Strong hit to the head that brings positive vibes over the body and activates the throat chakra Mexican Death Sativa #1 - Hard hitting stone felt in the head then flows through the body causing relaxation. Heaviest body high of all the females. Greasy afghan, musky, lemon flavors. high smoothes out into a chill social type.

Mexican Death Sativa #7 - Taste is lime, lemon, musk to slightly fruity and a faint hint of skunk. Relaxing body high with very uplifting high. Great for anxiety and the strongest for opening the throat chakra. My favorite for its high quality high that improves life. Effects fade into a more positive soaring high.

dc2569

I grew Kentucky red hair in 95.we had a monster patch of it.i culled all the males because back then there was always killer seeds around.The best was ———- county juicy fruit.It was a 4’ Indy with dark red hairs and dark sugar maple leaves.To this day anyone who tried it says nothing else has compared to hers .Super super potent with the sweetest taste I’ve ever had.It wasn’t Sensi seeds Sativa,it looked 100% Indica.A lot of our growers got hooked on oxy’s and a bunch started ordering seeds from Amsterdam.Every body believed it was better dope and quit growing our local weed.i remember never had to worry much about mold now it plagues everyone because most of the ordered seeds were acclimated to indoor climates.

I feel you bro. Aint nothing like the old local appy mtn strains. The lineage was irrelevant back in the day. people just called it skunk, red hair, red bud or xmas tree. These old genetics contained some of the worlds best landraces and some may have been pure landraces. We definitely took a step back when we started ordering commercial and strains bred indoors. There is still some hope of preserving what is left of these local legends. There are still a few old timers somewhere in a holler preserving these rare and special strains.

Appalachian skunk male

male

female

female

female

dc2569

appy skunk

appy skunk

A report from a reproduction I did.

Mexican Death Sativa - Old Kentucky Cornbread Mafia Strain. All were similar with little differences mainly in bud size + formation. Also the terps were similar with females differing in levels of a certain terps then others. They were fully seeded buds so Im sure seedless will have a fuller terp profile and potency should be better even though the seeded buds can compete with elite clones. When growing these be careful of male preflowers on the females. I thought every plant was a male at first. I have not had any problems with plants herming on mature aged plants. Flower time is around 11-13 weeks.

Mexican Death Sativa #5 - Slight body high(heavy/relaxed) with a quick head rush of energy. Activates the throat chakra, has some euphoria. Taste is greasy afghan, musk, strongly of lemons, and a little skunky.

Mexican Death Sativa #4 - Very hard hitting stone that hits the head then goes through the body with an energy. While being relaxing at the same time. Taste is fruity, musky, sweet, lemon-lime, hints of berries and more flavors but i can’t identify them. Focused thoughts to get things done or drift into art. Most resinous female. Mexican Death Sativa #6 - Hard hitting stone to the head with confused rush thoughts. Stimulating body high that creeps into a relaxing body high in a few minutes. Musky, frankincense, and lemon flavor. Largest yielding plant.

Mexican Death Sativa #3 - Greasy afghan, musky, lemon flavors. Strong hit to the head that brings positive vibes over the body and activates the throat chakra Mexican Death Sativa #1 - Hard hitting stone felt in the head then flows through the body causing relaxation. Heaviest body high of all the females. Greasy afghan, musky, lemon flavors. high smoothes out into a chill social type.

Mexican Death Sativa #7 - Taste is lime, lemon, musk to slightly fruity and a faint hint of skunk. Relaxing body high with very uplifting high. Great for anxiety and the strongest for opening the throat chakra. My favorite for its high quality high that improves life. Effects fade into a more positive soaring high.

I am not sure the lineage of the appy skunk, but it was handed down to me from an old timer that preserved these genetics, doing open pollinations every season. He only kept the seeds from the best females and always choosing mothers that exhibited the 2 original phenos. One has thinner leaf structure and the other slightly Indica leaning. To this day the lines are very stable while still maintaining little variation. I see similarities between the old strains and appy skunk.

KyBudz

I am not sure the lineage of the appy skunk, but it was handed down to me from an old timer that preserved these genetics, doing open pollinations every season. He only kept the seeds from the best females and always choosing mothers that exhibited the 2 original phenos. One has thinner leaf structure and the other slightly Indica leaning. To this day the lines are very stable while still maintaining little variation. I see similarities between the old strains and appy skunk.

Wish there was a way to PM.. I wanna show you these old school KY strains I have. Just got some Burmese x Afghan getting ready to get big