What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Screw-in around. High wattage SIL grows & designs

FRANKENBUDS

This thread hasn’t gotten any hits in over a year but I’ll drop in just let any one who cares know that SIL’s can be a very viable option for a much larger then micro grow set up. Especially in regards to start up cost vs commercial LED grow lights or DIY higher efficiency Cobs/drivers or LED strips. I’m currently running 32sqft flowering in two 2ft x 4ft grow tents, two tiers each. Each of my 4 - 2ft x 4ft SIL fixtures cost a total of around $40 each, $18 for 18 bulbs for each fixture then the rest is wood, screws, sockets, wire. They are 17w 1600lm bulbs, fiet electric brand bought at Costco. Bulbs are spaced 8” apart from bulb center to bulb center. I try to keep them around 5” from the top of the canopy.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Man Scrog that stuff is killer!!!! Dont be anything but proud of that fire purple you got there!!! I hope youre still eyeing this thread, have you ever thought of running only one tier and using the same amount of lights?? I can DEF see how efficient your two tier setup is, just wondering since you are the one who would know:laughing:

I havent even seen those. Or if I have i dont know what youre talking about. This thread is dope though. Really dont know why SIL'S get such a bad rap
attachment.php

Attachments

• C2882CF6-E434-4015-B13C-9478E4E2DC5B.jpg
    C2882CF6-E434-4015-B13C-9478E4E2DC5B.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 37

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Really dont know why SIL'S get such a bad rap

Well they are not that efficient and at least over here I wouldn't be able to get the bulbs cheaply enough* to make it worth the trouble. At the prices mentioned here it does seem like viable option. And there certainly are pictures of great results in this thread.

*I think 7w ~800 lumen bulbs here are like 5€ a piece so for 40k lumens it would be 250€ in bulbs. For less than 300€ one could build a much more efficient lm301b based fixture.

DiverDave

Just pulled up my chair on this old but good thread , lets get the testing done and see a full grow.

I have been following [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ScrogMonster grow for awhile and he is doing some crazy shit .. loving it.

Lets get this updated , I'd like to see if air cooling is worth the extra work.

DD
[/FONT]

Drop That Sound

DD, thanks for diving down, and floating back up an almost sunken ship. Welcome aboard lol.

For sure there is some awesome things going on around here, I been checking it all out lately. I been busy too, but finishing a bunch of other cool projects, not grow related... sorry I I left you guys hanging.

So get this, the captain of this thread is back! Trying to load my cart with some all new Bodhi strains as we speak, it's so tough not to wanna buy them all, and unfortunately it sucks that all the ones I've wanted over the last year or so sold out... Also growing a ton of different veggies, got lots of baby tomato's and peppers going under SILs right now, then out to their own coco drip greenhouses soon.

It's been a bit since I grew any good goods, and I almost forgot where I left off with it all. I got bored of working on all my grow projects, while not having anything to grow, and just chilling out for a awhile. Knowing i got packs coming soon changes everything though, oh ya and running out recently and having to buy from the rec shop or ask friends.

I also done some research and started plans to possibly set up a microgreen container garden in a 45' semi dry van trailer, using SIL lighting on all the racks! And I mean a lot of racks (homemade ones of course), all automated with food grade NFT trays (yup, all homemade too). I'm totally new to microgreen growing though, and about to order bulk seeds as well. I see most people use standard T8, T5, or the 20 watt led tube lights. That can get expensive real quick. Without even doing the math, I could see myself saving 1000's of dollars on lighting a container by using cheaper SILs, with the globes still on and spread out over the 10x20" trays. Microgreens don't require a lot of light, so the smallest 40 watt equivalent SILS might work best. Whatever is cheapest, dollar store LED bulbs should work fine. I'll find out soon as I get my own personal rack set up first. I for see food shortages in the future, and If I could cheaply setup my dry van, I could help out.. and make a few bucks to stay afloat too.

As far as where I left off here,

I got a full 4x8 dry erase white board to rip down into 2 panels, roughly 3 x 4. Then If I remember right, cut out 42 or so holes in both panels. Then start framing them into a channeled box, glue the SILs in the holes with High temp RTV, and wire them babies up with a few switches.

I also happen to have the most advanced custom dual DIY RDWC system ever conceived by yours truly (shit.. that's another thread I started a few years back now I think, and need to update).. all of the parts ready and just been waiting forever now to set it up till I started growing again. In a brand new re-finished grow room that hasn't even seen a plant yet too. All waiting for 2 new SIL panels, that I honestly don't even need, but can't help but want to make still. Sounding like it all could make for an awesome grow journal!

DiverDave

Heck ya .. I got green onions growing and thinking to go hydro and do out door Romanian lettuce maybe 100 per rack 3 racks so I got plenty of it to go around.

But I been using a 400 watt high ceiling led panel from home depo rated at 171 actual watts and 18k lumin.
Its worked out from start to finish , now I read your thread and want to build a Sil rack to sit over my 4 bucket bio system and see how it compares.
I will finish build tomorrow and test run it but not going to us it for this grow , something to test against .. after this finishes.

The math shows I will have 1000 watts for the 10 sockets I will use , but I am making it with 12 sockets , I have lots of 100 watt Sil and 2 300 watt ones .. not energizing them cause of costs .. gotta keep it down .. 1k is enough for 160 actual watts. And I eliminate the light mover too.

I'm on the fence about the globes on/off ?
I have separate grow with 1 100 sil w/ globe off
it is more intense to the one plant (young one) then when the globe was on.

When the big one comes online , I will do part with globes on and part without.
I plan to have it wired also tomorrow with 2 plugs , that way if I need to change bulbs or mix it up I only have to do one string at a time .. I heard someone mention to cut power before changing bulbs .. but if I do it .. lets not shock plants .. do one string at a time and turn it on before you do next string.

I may use larger watt bulbs if the heat does not build badly.

Sorry for hijacking or long winded .. just a bit excited in this lock down time.

DD

Drop That Sound

Order:

Mango Lotus × 1
Bodhi freebies-Soul Mate × 1
White Sunshine × 1
Purple Star × 1

Mmmmm.. wookie , snow lotus , sunshine daydream, and purple unicorn crosses. Sounds like a good variety of genes to start back up with. Can't wait..

G

gr3k0s

So drawing inspiration from what I've seen on here, I put together a little cheapie setup using a mixture of $1 2700k and 5000k 13w LED globes, 2 x cheap amazon 10w LED grow bulbs (minus diffusers) and two 7-1 light splitters off amazing for $8.99ea

Unknown seeds, growing in my own soil mixture.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 49

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah the octopus lamp holders... good memories!
What do you put in your soil? using SILs I noticed all my plants wanted heaps more calcium and magnesium.

All the best
CC

G

gr3k0s

Yeah the octopus lamp holders... good memories!
What do you put in your soil? using SILs I noticed all my plants wanted heaps more calcium and magnesium.

All the best
CC

This is just for fun and curiosity, I’ve built a dedicated grow basement room in my new house which I’ll deck out with nice lighting, for the time being tinkering with micro growing for the hell of it.

Soil is a mix of my garden soil (lots of clay) mixed with worm poop, perlite, pitting mix.

These are 5th and 6th grown in this dirt that I supplement with teenie amount of nutrients every couple weeks.

This is all just a Chance for me to experiment