Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Any one who wants to know whats up with lighting at the moment?

Thread Title Search
Any one who wants to know whats up with lighting at the moment? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2019, 04:07 PM #1
HalfArsedFarmer

HalfArsedFarmer has a spectacular aura aboutHalfArsedFarmer has a spectacular aura aboutHalfArsedFarmer has a spectacular aura about
Any one who wants to know whats up with lighting at the moment?

So you read all the threads, you read the constant back & forth.

CMH is the best bro, HPS is king! LED doesn't have the penetration nor the PAR. I used LED it sucked.

I watched this video with my brother in law who used to design bulbs for a large company as i'm no brain box. He told me what the video says about the way LED had advanced & where they're currently at is 100%

Some of the information given in this video I had no idea about at all.
I own a dimmable ballast and have been dimming bulbs for years...

The video is 30+ mins long but the amount of knowledge dropped is crazy.

I have no skin in the game I'm just a guy who looks after his own needs & wants to do it as efficiently as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92g1SFFDKo
HalfArsedFarmer is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 PM #2
f-e

f-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura about
I find the philips site a guiding light. They go off teaming up with commercial growers, using their own lighting knowledge, and the growers plant knowledge, to do trials that lead the industry. I will read any of their case studies, but tomato one's are especially close to our own goals. They will side-light, top-light, inter-light and base-light. Find what's best, and offer a commercial product that works. The scale of investment and the brains involved is right up there.

I give you the future. An illuminated scrog net
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...lights.jpg&f=1

There is little doubt that for close up lighting, led's are the 'goto' choice in industry. It's just so damn messy though. Side-lighting works, but it's just in the way. Overhead works, but constant canopy adjustments, and again the clutter, is high maintenance. This is why commercial tomato growth is using interlighting and high bays. Not that high bays are specifically more efficient. They are low maintenance and very powerful.

Micro-grow users are shunning the big lights now, and getting right in there with pin point accuracy LED lighting. While people with a warehouse full, don't have time.

Vert growers obviously use side-lighting, but instead of overhead. It's rare we see a side lit crop using top lights as the primaries. To date, I have seen nobody(else) use inter-lighting or uplighters.

Led's are no doubt taking over. Anyone uncertain can look in the microgrow diaries section. Where the highest gram per watt claims are being made, using less watts and less efficient light(compared to a 600). It seems like placement is really helping. Now we have Samsung offering near 200 lumens per watt, even the impressive efforts over there must be rather outdated. There is a move towards making big led lights though, and hanging them high like hids. Which will replace hids, but is a slightly backwards step for a microgrower.

I want that led net. Using the 40w per foot guidance that most are happy with, they're talking 4300lumens. In 200lm/w leds, that's 22w per foot. If I put 3 nets, 3" apart, that's aiming to light 9" of canopy depth. If each is a 3" squares net, with a 0.5w led at each junction, That's 24w per foot. Interlighting. So we can still grow up another ~8" which top lighting can take care of. I have never done the math before, and I'm unsure how hot a diode will get with 0.4w of heat dissipation. We don't need leds every 3" though, we could have string that's linearly lit.

Perhaps I should make it.
f-e is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:42 PM #3
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud of
Informative video, thanks for sharing.
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 07:06 PM #4
positivity

positivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to all
It's the topic every day. How would you lose track...lol.

Former CLW (solar storm led) employee? According to comment section

Didn't watch. Guess it's for lighting professionals.
positivity is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 PM #5
HalfArsedFarmer

HalfArsedFarmer has a spectacular aura aboutHalfArsedFarmer has a spectacular aura aboutHalfArsedFarmer has a spectacular aura about
Hi Fe

Thanks for the info added. It's a mine field at the moment for people trying to buy these things myself included.

Funny you mention Samsung, he said if they ever wanted to get into the growing game they'd kill it with the LED knowledge they have.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM #6
HalfArsedFarmer

Positivity

Not really at all, this is put across in a way that most can understand.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM #7
HalfArsedFarmer

Just skimmed over this as well, it's long.

https://www.smud.org/-/media/Documen...A7C3269252835C

Old 01-12-2019, 07:31 PM #8
positivity

positivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to allpositivity is a name known to all
I'm sure it is. I tried all the phosphor and colors so I'm not really excited about most LED info anymore

What's interesting are the new lasers that can produce a large spectrum at fine tuned percentages in a small area.
I can't recall the technology off hand. I limit what I research in lighting myself.
Anyway..,my 2 cents and then some
positivity is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM #9
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Thanks for posting this. Watched this last week and forgot to mention it myself. Awesome information.

In a nutshell:

2018 was the breakout year for LED tech vs. HID, from this point on HID will have to change in some drastic way to keep up in the future.

• Dimming/Over-driving your HID lamps causes spectrum changes
  • LED driver and chip technology has reached an efficiency very close to HID lighting.
  • HID technology uses approximately 30% of your electricity for green/yellow light plants barely use
  • Research into specific spectrum manipulation has only begun, preferences for flower, resin and leaf can be dialed in using specific schedules/wavelengths.
  • The new ceramic based LED chips will last longer (10+ years) than you'll want to keep them (as technology keeps moving forward)
The future is bright, and it's looking to be nearly 100% LED for a while.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM #10
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to all
it takes trial/error, and some testing experimenting with things to figure it out.

realgorillaclothing.com

WVs Outdoor Critical/Chem grow !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354027

WVs Outdoor RealGorilla strains
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355383
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote