Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > Broken/faulty electrical meter.

Thread Title Search
Broken/faulty electrical meter. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2019, 03:05 PM #1
mowood3479

mowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to behold
Broken/faulty electrical meter.

So I have a house that has about 16x 600 watt running in it. Iíve had the house for 7 or 8 years
Iíve been noticing that the meter (old school analog meter not smart meter) doesnít spin any faster when I turn on the lights vs off..
I spoke with my partner about it and he says he has been getting bills that range from $15 to $200.. most months tho itís under $20. (Should be $500 or so)

He had mentioned something about the bills being surprisingly low some years back (I didnít realize how low) and I just told him to pay the bills that come and to leave it alone... wondering If any of yíall have heard or seen something similiar.

Btw... Iíve checked the draw with my meter and everything seems right with voltage watts n Amps..
Wondering if I should add more lights as free power is pretty cool.. or if I should contact the power co and tell them I think the meter is faulty.. (so I can pay more each month)
Should I be paranoid? Still not completely legal where Iam.. the bill has been consistently low/wrong for 5 years now..
Seems like too long of a time to be some sort of sting.. n Iíve never heard of anything like that...
mowood3479 is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 03:24 PM #2
Rico _El_Guapo

Rico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the rough
Hey mowood

I’ve worked in a few older houses where the water heaters at the time were owned by the power company and they were hooked directly to a transformer outside the house. We were running a generator for power during the reno, but when the electrical came to rough everything in, that line was still live, so things happen.

As far as the meter goes, around here the power company sends people around to check and see if everything makes sense power wise seeing the power is pulled from the grid.

It might be kind of alarming to the power company if your drawing 10000 watts and only getting charged for a fraction of that. Especially if your not a legal med grow.

If I was in your spot, and you haven’t done anything sketchy like bypass the meter I would just keep cropping, and keep that analog meter as long as you can
Rico _El_Guapo is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:36 PM #3
f-e

f-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura aboutf-e has a spectacular aura about
Old meters were sometimes tested and reused. Most power companies won't use that type now though, so I hope have no interest in looking them over.

I used to make them boxes that zero meters (for a landlords private meters). They went back about 60rpm. You can buy a used electronic meter really cheap now though, so there is no call for them.

16 600s is a big load. Add some household use and you must be pushing the limit. Don't just add lights for the hell of it. Plenty of supplies melt at that load. Besides.. do you have your genes invested into needing the planet much longer? Don't take what you don't need to. It's suicide.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 05:24 PM #4
Dankwolf

Dankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud ofDankwolf has much to be proud of
I have had simaler issues in houses built in the 60s . I would guess that there is a bypass somewhere that you may not be aware of . any way I would not contact them . as you would more then Lilly get a smart meter up grade and have to stop growing there .

I had several freinds run into issues with smart meters and they where not pulling near what you are .

Yes i know i cant spell for shit and my punctuation is just as bad . the plants dont seem to care nor should you.
Dankwolf is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 PM #5
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowood3479 View Post
Should I be paranoid? Still not completely legal where Iam.. the bill has been consistently low/wrong for 5 years now..
Seems like too long of a time to be some sort of sting.. n Iíve never heard of anything like that...

If it was YOUR power company, what would you do ?

Not many of us would let a stranger walk off with $200 or $300 a month in free electricity.

What would the bill be if it were charged at normal rates ?

I think the power company will be by eventually, and then your fate will be in other people's hands.

It's better to keep your fate in your own hands.

I would reduce the number of lights & the size of the grow.

Maybe take the money you saved & invest it when the stock market goes all 2009.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2019, 07:51 PM #6
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivor
I would be in love with that structure.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:43 AM #7
mowood3479

mowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to beholdmowood3479 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Phatty View Post
If it was YOUR power company, what would you do ?

Not many of us would let a stranger walk off with $200 or $300 a month in free electricity.

What would the bill be if it were charged at normal rates ?

I think the power company will be by eventually, and then your fate will be in other people's hands.

It's better to keep your fate in your own hands.

I would reduce the number of lights & the size of the grow.

Maybe take the money you saved & invest it when the stock market goes all 2009.
Why would I reduce the size of the grow?
Open to thoughts, just donít follow the logic... could u expand?
As I see it, If the power co. Somehow deems the meter faulty (when they visually check the numbers on the dial every **3rd month) theyíll replace it and Iíll pay the bill that comes...
** they only come every 3 months because they laid off most of the meter readers when they installed smart meters 5 years ago.. so now if u still have an analog meter they only come out every 3rd month to read it.

10k Watts is around $500 power bill in my area, not uncommon for people to be pushing 20k watts in a home/ outbuilding

Iím only running 5k at a time on a flip box.. so not anywhere near limit of the service (150amp)
mowood3479 is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM #8
stoney917
i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD

Location: sPeCial EdUcAtIoN tRaiLoR behind the school with the rest of the window lickers
stoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant future
I wouldn't contact them if it's been yrs and yrs ... not sure where u are but had a similar situation happen to a friend was only 6 months but he got fucked good when they slapped him with the bill for what was owed sumthin around $8000 n change which he paid so I wouldn't call them unless you have an extra 20-30k to burn, just consider yourself blessed

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM #9
Bgoat

Bgoat will become famous soon enoughBgoat will become famous soon enough
lol, just be quiet. cheap power in the states i take it... i get quarterly bills around $1,000 without any indoor grow going.
Bgoat is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM #10
Bgoat

Bgoat will become famous soon enoughBgoat will become famous soon enough
as long as you having diverted the power, then doubt they can do anything about it...
Bgoat is offline Quote