What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SENTINEL CHHC-4 (that's right, 4)

Hackk

So I just tried to buy the sentinel controller CHHC-1 from a well priced shop, and was told that they no longer carry them, but do carry the new CHHC-4. I cant find any google info, I cant find any info on sentinel site, and even that shop couldnt clearly explain the difference between the two because they havent received the new units yet.

Does anyone have any information they can provide me on this new product?

Hackk

A little update, and for an additional $50 I think I'll pass. Nothing has changed except the *NEW* things listed

CHHC-4 Total Environmental Controller

The CHHC-4 controls all of your growing area conditions accurately and reliably. First of all, it has all of the C02 control features of the CHHC-1 and CPPM-1. It also has the ability to control 3 other devices, a heating device and a humidity device. Records the min and max temperature, humidity and C02 levels.

Unlike some C02 controllers, the CHHC-4 is able to be calibrated by the user with the self calibration feature.
*NEW* Green LED lights make this unit very plant friendly
*NEW* Removable combination remote temp, humidity, light level & CO2 probe allows the CHHC-4 to be placed up to 16 feet away.
*NEW* Protective caps to help prevent water from getting into the controller
Monitors and controls CO2 with PPM accuracy
Also controls 3 other devices, a heating device. a cooling device and a humidity device.
Separate day/night temp and humidity settings.
Records the min and maxi temp, humidity and CO2 levels.
Has 2 separate outputs to control cooling and heating.
Can increase or decrease the amount of humidity in the growing area.
Remote temp, humidity, CO2 and light level sensor

globel

and they still haven't fully rolled out the software for the first one.. You think they could have gone with a usb port upgrade?

globel

pn second look... it appears they took it away.... BUMMER you cant have a perty graph of your grow room weather and co2 flux with the new unit.

bali_man

I've used the chhc1 for over almost 2 yrs now, I suppose its a solid unit. I only utilize the co2, rh,and cooling device features. The unit however comes with A LOT of shortcomings.

Now 250 more for what i see as a needed upgrade to bring this unit above elementary grade is ridiculous. I think im going to invest some $$$ into designing a 20th century env controller. I'm sure there will be a huge market for it and I have capital to burn. It is time appliances became intelligent. I mean look how much an Ipad does and it costs less than a env controller, and cost of manufacturing is approx 250ish. U get a 10 inch lcd screen for fucks sake. On the chhc1 they fucking couldn't even fit ppm on the display module. The buttons and box feel like my sprinker timer box. Hope they go bankrupt. Better said can't wait to bankrupt them.

Todays growers are tech savvy want high tech goodies, they want data they can work with, they understand usb, FW, etc, and there's just no option to have any of that at any price. Sucks goat balls if u ask me.

oh ya hahaha just remembered, The plastic they used for the probe of the chhc1.....I've bought junk from the 99 cent store that used higher grade plastic. I peg the cost of production on the chhc1 unit at approx 30-45 US dollars. A unit they want 6-700ish for....So with the minimalistic changes they've made and further drop in component prices, they're still spending less than 50 US dollars on manufacturing the new chhc4 and now want nearly 1K for the unit......

crippled1

I found the chhc-4 for $575 free shipping from an ebay seller.
It may not be a current listing but you can send them a message and ask them to send you an invoice for the controller. I just got this price from them yesterday.

You can find them on ebay by doing a member search using the name "bestpricehydroponics" they are in Nevada.
Sorry, I don't have an email address for them.

Hackk

to fill everyone in, I actually purchased the CHHC-4 over the 1. I edited my last statement of it costing +$250 more, to only costing +50 (shady hydro store quoted the 250). Overall, Im very pleased with the unit. The detachable probe is very handy, and the green LED display vs the original red is a drastic improvement. I spent a lot of time over the phone with Sentinel people (growgps), and they bent over backwards to explain and work out questions I had.

I give Sentinel two thumbs up, my purchase was well worth it

G

Guest 18340

to fill everyone in, I actually purchased the CHHC-4 over the 1. I edited my last statement of it costing +$250 more, to only costing +50 (shady hydro store quoted the 250). Overall, Im very pleased with the unit. The detachable probe is very handy, and the green LED display vs the original red is a drastic improvement. I spent a lot of time over the phone with Sentinel people (growgps), and they bent over backwards to explain and work out questions I had.

I give Sentinel two thumbs up, my purchase was well worth
it
Right on man:good: Theirs a Sentinel in the very near future for me.:tiphat:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Haha they're right up the street from me, but does anyone have the software download for the 1? I want to stick a notebook by it and have it email me data.

G

grow nerd

I heard the CHHC-4 is 4 times better than the CHHC-1. Is this true? Can anyone confirm? :chin:

I can only imagine this to be true... as I clearly recall the Atari Jaguar (64-bit) being "up to" 2x as fun as the Dreamcast (32-bit). Also remember it being "up to" 4x as fun to play as the SNES (only a measly 16 bits!! pfft!!). Anyone remember the lasers? Pew pew, pew, pew!!

B

BlackThumb

I've used the chhc1 for over almost 2 yrs now, I suppose its a solid unit. I only utilize the co2, rh,and cooling device features. The unit however comes with A LOT of shortcomings.

Now 250 more for what i see as a needed upgrade to bring this unit above elementary grade is ridiculous. I think im going to invest some $$$ into designing a 20th century env controller. I'm sure there will be a huge market for it and I have capital to burn. It is time appliances became intelligent. I mean look how much an Ipad does and it costs less than a env controller, and cost of manufacturing is approx 250ish. U get a 10 inch lcd screen for fucks sake. On the chhc1 they fucking couldn't even fit ppm on the display module. The buttons and box feel like my sprinker timer box. Hope they go bankrupt. Better said can't wait to bankrupt them.

Todays growers are tech savvy want high tech goodies, they want data they can work with, they understand usb, FW, etc, and there's just no option to have any of that at any price. Sucks goat balls if u ask me.

oh ya hahaha just remembered, The plastic they used for the probe of the chhc1.....I've bought junk from the 99 cent store that used higher grade plastic. I peg the cost of production on the chhc1 unit at approx 30-45 US dollars. A unit they want 6-700ish for....So with the minimalistic changes they've made and further drop in component prices, they're still spending less than 50 US dollars on manufacturing the new chhc4 and now want nearly 1K for the unit......

USB / Web enabled, "Fuzzy Logic", Real-Time computer graphing,
Altitude adjustment, etc. etc.

$550 Retail

http://www.thrivegardening.com

http://www.greenhousetechsupply.com/

jerrypike

I have been running one of these for over 6 months with no issues, has worked flawlessly keeping co2 humidity and temp levels consistent. Until I bought a new ac a couple of days ago, 12k to replace my 8k, and ever since it has been shutting itself down once or twice a day and it is really becoming a pain in the ass considering once it shuts down it only takes about an hour to raise the room temp 15 degrees with no ac running. Tried contacting sentinel support to no avail, and disconnected my dehuey thinking there might be a max amp load on this controller? My ac runs 10 amps , any ideas on why this might be happening?

dtfsux

I have been running one of these for over 6 months with no issues, has worked flawlessly keeping co2 humidity and temp levels consistent. Until I bought a new ac a couple of days ago, 12k to replace my 8k, and ever since it has been shutting itself down once or twice a day and it is really becoming a pain in the ass considering once it shuts down it only takes about an hour to raise the room temp 15 degrees with no ac running. Tried contacting sentinel support to no avail, and disconnected my dehuey thinking there might be a max amp load on this controller? My ac runs 10 amps , any ideas on why this might be happening?

The controller has a 15A max load. I ran several of the CHHC-1 and I had two in the same location running identical equipment, but one would trip its internal breaker.

I didnt have time to screw with it, return it, etc so I took the DH off it and used the DH controller

If sentinel cant help you, I suggest using a contactor/relay. Run power to the contactor, then to the AC. Use the CHHC to turn the contactor on and off.

jerrypike

Thanks dtf. I actually went and bought a pxm-1 power module so I could run the ac with the controller but on a different circuit. Turned out the pxm was defective lol so I just went and got a c.a.p. to run independent of the chhc-4 and has worked perfectly ever since. Pretty ridiculous when you buy a 600 dollar controller and it cant even handle a 12k a.c.

I don't need one of these now, but I think I will by summer, especially once AC is needed. Jerry, how do you like yours? Seems like you enjoy it, minus the max load capacity... Which I can bypass with a relay (have to anyway.. No way I'm getting 2600w+AC+dehumy+fans on one 15a circuit hah.)

What's the best price for one of these guys? I'm seeing $512 on eBay, new.

chronologic

CHHC-1

CHHC-1

Me and a buddy just picked up one of these. Been looking at the reviews and a little concerned over some of the negative feedback, but we got it at a sick price so i guess i can't complain :laughing:

does anyone have the software for this controller?

and also any first hand experience with the Thrive Gardening system? I'm kinda upset that i found out about Thrive after sentinel, it seems as if their products are way more intuitive and more frequently updated. And they're both at similar price points.

Seeing as it's still difficult to get software for the CHHC-1 i'm not super impressed with their product development if ya kno what i mean.