What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mainlining/Manifolding Question with pic

Shatterstar

Hey guys and gals, quick question about mainlining. When you top down to the third node and clean up all the extra growth, I notice that my node has basically 2 stems coming out of on each side, which I have learned one is the fan leaf and one is the growth tips. My question is does it matter if you clip the growth tip and keep the leaf stem? or do you clip the leaf stem and keep the growth tip?

If you see the image basically do I cut the yellow or the red circles or does it matter?

l6Ljt

I think your talking about the fan leaves, my understanding of it is you let it grow.
If im correct I did notice that from the pic, you had more small leaves/brances under the bit you topped to mainline, it looks more like a topping If i did see right.

question for my knowledge bank, how much tops are you thinking of doing?
I just did 2 mainlined clones, about 2 weeks ago and am interested in what most people are doing and more so the time it takes to get to 8-16 tops

Shatterstar

I want to do 8 colas to start just to get the mainlining down. The pic is not actually my plant I just wanted an example.

So should I clip off the red or yellow circles? Fan leaf stems or growth tips?

In regards to the yellow circles
"Leaving extra fan leaves is a big time-saving tactic, especially if your new main node hasn't grown out much, such as in this example below."
there is a pic in the link above that shows one with the fan leaves under the 3rd node and also one with out, think it could be either.

In regards to the red circles, I thought we were supposed to grow the 2 new mains out to 4-5 nodes each, then to top back to the 3rd then remove all below it again, (im going to be at this point in about a week or less) that's how I had planned on doing it

MicroRoy

In regards to the red circles, I thought we were supposed to grow the 2 new mains out to 4-5 nodes each, then to top back to the 3rd then remove all below it again, (im going to be at this point in about a week or less) that's how I had planned on doing it[/QUOTE]

First let the plant grow out past three nodes. Then clip just above that. That will make two new branches at the new top. But dont cut the rest back until it grows out some. You meed the leaves to feed the new growth the stem and still growing roots.

nukklehead

Just read nugbuggets tutorial.. if you are interested in growing this way I think it is the holy grail.. can t wait to try.. thanks all!

Nukklehead