What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So, something interesting happens to weed after it’s legal

Two years ago, the Washington state began an unprecedented policy experiment by allowing large-scale production and sale of recreational marijuana to the public. The effects on public health and safety and on the relationship of law enforcement to minority communities will take years to manifest fully, but one impact has become abundantly clear: Legalized marijuana is getting very cheap very quickly.

Marijuana price data from Washington’s Liquor and Cannabis Board was aggregated by Steve Davenport of the Pardee RAND Graduate School and Jonathan Caulkins, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. After a transitory rise in the first few months, which Davenport attributes to supply shortages as the system came on line, both retail prices and wholesale prices have plummeted. Davenport said that prices “are now steadily falling at about 2 percent per month. If that trend holds, prices may fall 25 percent each year going forward.”
Ratio of sales value to weight, $ per gram, Washington state

wapo.st/wonkblog

Although some observers will be surprised by these sharp price declines – perhaps particularly some investors in the emerging legal marijuana industry – seasoned drug policy analysts have long predicted this effect. As noted by Caulkins and his colleagues in the book "Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know," prohibition imposes many costs on drug producers. They must operate covertly, forgo advertising, pay higher wages to compensate for the risk of arrest, and lack recourse to civil courts for resolving contract disputes. Legal companies in contrast endure none of these costs and also can benefit from economies of scale that push production costs down.

Falling pot prices create winners and losers. Because state taxes are based on a percentage of the sales price, declining prices mean each sale puts less money in the public purse. On the other hand, bargain-basement prices undercut the black market, bringing the public reduced law enforcement costs, both in terms of tax dollars spent on jail and the damage done to individuals who are arrested.

For consumers who enjoy pot occasionally while suffering no adverse effects from it, low prices will be a welcome but minor benefit; precisely because they consume modest amounts, the price declines are only a modest win. On the downside, young people tend to be price-sensitive consumers, and their use of inexpensive pot may rise over time, as might that of problematic marijuana users.
An insider’s look at pot farming around the world
View Photos
A few places where cannabis is farmed for medical or recreational use.

How cheap can legal pot become? Says Caulkins, “It’s just a plant. There will always be the marijuana equivalent of organically grown specialty crops sold at premium prices to yuppies, but at the same time, no-frills generic forms could become cheap enough to give away as a loss leader – the way bars give patrons beer nuts and hotels leave chocolates on your pillow.”

Keith Humphreys is a professor of psychiatry and mental health policy director at Stanford University.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/04/the-price-of-legal-pot-is-collapsing/

What do you think?
peace

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Falling pot prices create winners and losers. Because state taxes are based on a percentage of the sales price, declining prices mean each sale puts less money in the public purse. On the other hand, bargain-basement prices undercut the black market, bringing the public reduced law enforcement costs, both in terms of tax dollars spent on jail and the damage done to individuals who are arrested.

There's your answer.

Recall years ago while working in a medical clinic. Twice this elderly lady came in stoned out of her mind. She smelled liker gasoline....I just figured she sat at the back of a city bus until the light bulb moment!! Gas was cheaper than alcohol (by far)....she was huffing or sniffing gas!!!

So, falling prices...good and bad...but Washington (as with Colorado) is still raking in the tax piles!

MyBrother

Washington is in a sad place.

Med patients have been left out to dry, grassroots businesses are regulated to death, ungodly tax rates, no knowledge about pesticides and the commercially grown product (which is now the only option) is most often tasteless, odorless and soulless.

As someone who has been (and still is) involved as a stakeholder in the WSLCB process, they are so under-educated and overwhelmed. Unfortunately, the WSLCB has been wooed by slick businessmen who are always three steps ahead, and lining their pockets.

But hey, it's legal here.

Producers with deep pockets push the price down undercutting the smaller guys, driving them out of business. Whoever can afford the biggest losses wins.

GastroGrower

This situation really is tremendously unfortunate. Not only have they destroyed any reliable resources for patients, they've set the entire system up to suffer.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
The truth is as long as people are willing to settle for low quality. Bud Lite and McDonalds will remain huge companies. A happy meal biggy sized is $8.00 I can buy a nice steak for $10.00 Even sadder are the majority of grower/ breeders. Looking forward to selling you over fertilized Indica plants to make a quick buck. No flushing, quick dried, no curing. Enjoy your tasteless crap! you paid for. Auto Flowering plants are the kiss of death to all genetics world wide. Ruderalis is the cold two day old double cheese burger from McDonalds in marijuana terms. Please don't be fooled into thinking it is anything more. If you buy into the latest greatest name thrown out in a rap song??? Enjoy your Bud Lite and cheese burger. Please enjoy great marijuana by studying and growing your own organically in soil. Peace

GastroGrower

Hi Farmerlion, providing for yourself is obviously ideal, but not everyone is in a position to do so. I just wish there were more public options to help patients.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Funny I stated Vote NO to legalize cannabis....Or else in 2014, I basically got run outta town. They called me every name in the book too.
Click here for the whole story!

Here are some of my quotes that fired people up:
"Good luck with you government supplied GACK!!
That you just paid $600 for and it may or may not even be effective for you!"

"So if it is legal..... you will still go to jail for being in possession of cannabis not grown by the government!"

"I am all for legalization as long as it will not be run by the likes of the ATF"

I saw this coming and I tried to inform the people of WA. the best I knew how.
"The message is simple: We don’t want the Liquor Control Board, the states’ liquor distributor, writing rules for controlling medical cannabis and we want that provision stricken from the state budget bill.
If you don’t take action, this could very well be the end of medical cannabis."

"All I am asking is to be aware of what is happening behind the scenes.
I wish you good luck with legalization to those that want it..But consider yourself warned!"

Now it seems to be coming true.
It is sad to see things the way they are there now.
I hope other states learned a valuable lesson from Washington's so called "Legalization"
But $$ Money $$ talks.

Peace
shag

Andyo

Veteran
goodluck trying to tell a herd of cowards

goodluck trying to tell a herd of cowards

Funny I stated Vote NO to legalize cannabis....Or else in 2014, I basically got run outta town. They called me every name in the book too.
Click here for the whole story!

Here are some of my quotes that fired people up:
"Good luck with you government supplied GACK!!
That you just paid $600 for and it may or may not even be effective for you!"

"So if it is legal..... you will still go to jail for being in possession of cannabis not grown by the government!"

"I am all for legalization as long as it will not be run by the likes of the ATF"

I saw this coming and I tried to inform the people of WA. the best I knew how.
"The message is simple: We don’t want the Liquor Control Board, the states’ liquor distributor, writing rules for controlling medical cannabis and we want that provision stricken from the state budget bill.
If you don’t take action, this could very well be the end of medical cannabis."

"All I am asking is to be aware of what is happening behind the scenes.
I wish you good luck with legalization to those that want it..But consider yourself warned!"

Now it seems to be coming true.
It is sad to see things the way they are there now.
I hope other states learned a valuable lesson from Washington's so called "Legalization"
But $$ Money $$ talks.

Peace
shag

Its exactly what i saw,
I just see cowards ,no balls
This is my war you cowards are fuking ,lol

Very obvious how it will go ,Taxed and big business,
The fact you have differing state laws is part of why its happening and of course greed.
The goverment legal weed in uruguay is rubbish and contaminated with pesticides.
Thats were legalisation is headed.A

Slipnot

lol well since when has the government or state did anything good for you /?? think MJ would be any different
problem is every tom dick and harry thinking there is a business in this field
There never had a hope in hell to begin with.. prices will drop so low that warehouse growers will go belly up
with the legalization sure everyone is growing like any comodity when there is lots or a demand prices go up in this case the tumble
I said it all along Green house farmer growing is the only way that anyone is going to survive and that will be run by big business matter a fact wouldn;t be surprised some corporate company growing deep south and in wassginton cashing in large

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last I looked at the retail stores the prices were 90 to 100 dollars for a 1/4 ounce. That is after they closed all of the medical dispensaries and farmers markets. Now the average joe can't get into the recreational side because you have to pay big bucks to play. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for the licenses.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
There will always be commercial/cheap/low-cost products.....and then there will also be high-end/quality/more expensive products...

With legalization, I am sure that we will see both ends of the market thriving..and something in between also.

Take virtually any product that you can think of, ehmmm, say Whiskey or wine or beer, or cigars or cars. Within all of those industries you have the cheaper varieties of product that you can buy, and you have the increasingly more expensive...

Price is not always a firm indicator of quality, but certainly is when you are talking about the difference in quality of a bottle of Jonnie Walker red label, compared to a 25 year old Talisker single malt. Or comparing a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer to a pint of Chimay Grande' Reserve....or a Dacia Duster to a Bentley.....etc....etc.

The important thing is that cultivation for all becomes legal, and anyone can become a craft/quality grower with the requisite skills and genetics to produce a finer product that justifies it's price.

shaggyballs

Veteran
The important thing is that cultivation for all becomes legal, and anyone can become a craft/quality grower with the requisite skills and genetics to produce a finer product that justifies it's price.

If the law states cultivation for all becomes legal I say vote yes to legalization.
Anything less is just smoke and mirrors to get your $$ money $$.

Stay informed and be prepared to fight if you want to keep your right to provide yourself with the medicine of your choice.

Or else!

theJointedOne

Veteran

Actually Gypsy, in Washington it is a felony to cultivate one plant. That is unless you have the $$, space, and connections to obtain a production license. But home grown is not legal, at all. Even the medical folks are getting screwed on that end.

GastroGrower

Actually Gypsy, in Washington it is a felony to cultivate one plant. That is unless you have the $$, space, and connections to obtain a production license. But home grown is not legal, at all. Even the medical folks are getting screwed on that end.

This - if we're not going to have something reliable for patients from a public perspective, we should at least have the ability to produce our own medicine. The restrictions they've placed in WA have made it almost impossible for me to produce the amount of medicine I need while still abiding by the regulations.

Greed is a big issue here, but it's also a problem of legislation being passed which doesn't take a realistic view of what sick people need.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Legalization to me would make cannabis cultivation as legal as growing hops to make beer with....Anyone and everyone should be allowed to grow cannabis without any impediment from the authorities in their own gardens, for their own consumption.

I can see where it might be sensible to have some basic control over indoor growing, due to the potential fire or flood risk, if the grow is not safely wired electrically, and if the product is grown for sale/distribution then there should be some sort of FDA(health and safety) like organization that a grower would need to get accredited from to only be able to sell 'erb, edibles or hash that has been produced without dangerous chemicals/pesticides that present a distinct health risk to the consumer.

By regulating cultivation to the extent that Washington state is only helps the big wealthy corporations grow, and not your average home grower, which is of course completely wrong, favouring the already rich and powerful over the Mum and Dad home, hobby horticulturalists, many of whom strive to produce a proper and safe quality product, that actually helps medicinal users with any specific ailment, and can also reassure recreational users that the product has been manufactured/grown to a standard that will not make them sick.

Last edited:

Gry

I live in the LA area and have a friend from there. He tells me it is very sad and very expensive there. He is real happy he lives here and only has to visit his home area.
Never seen the prices so low and quality so high here in the LA area. Are we about to trade that for what the good people in Washington now deal so that the corporations can have their cut?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Gry, cali's using same model of regulation as Washington.

legal = freedom to grow and enjoy in any circumstance
regulated = taxes/fees/fines/incarceration.

your turn....make it count.