What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Promix HP

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I used to be able to get BX and would do a 3:1:1 mix of promix:perlite:ewc.

Now I can only get HP in town and I stopped adding perlite. I currently do a 3-4:1 mix of promix:ewc.

That mix is only used for new clones. The rest of the plants get a 50-50 mix of new (hp/ewc) and re-used soil. Re-used soil is made by running rootballs from flowered plants through a 1/2 hardware cloth screen, some Plantone mixed in and let sit in a rubbermaid until use.

What is "EWC"?

I as well recycle my dirt as describes but I use a 3mm screen, that I had left over from Bonsai. The sieve set comprises 3 screens: 3mm; 5mm; and 8mm

@ 3mm, IMO/IME it keeps the undesirables out. Adding new perlite is relatively cheap :) I use this soil @10 to 15%. I recycle more soil than I actually use. For this reason I use it outdoors come spring. It saves me having to but peat to mix in with my black earth for moisture retention.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to be able to get BX and would do a 3:1:1 mix of promix:perlite:ewc.

Now I can only get HP in town and I stopped adding perlite. I currently do a 3-4:1 mix of promix:ewc.

That mix is only used for new clones. The rest of the plants get a 50-50 mix of new (hp/ewc) and re-used soil. Re-used soil is made by running rootballs from flowered plants through a 1/2 hardware cloth screen, some Plantone mixed in and let sit in a rubbermaid until use.

What is "EWC"?

I as well recycle my dirt as describes but I use a 3mm screen, that I had left over from Bonsai. The sieve set comprises 3 screens: 3mm; 5mm; and 8mm

@ 3mm, IMO/IME it keeps the undesirables out. Adding new perlite is relatively cheap
smile.gif
I use this soil @10 to 15%. I recycle more soil than I actually use> For this reason I use it outdoors come spring. It saves me having to but peat to mix in with my black earth for moisture retention.

EWC = earthworm castings