What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Effect based terpenes

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If you simply remove the cap from a bottle of Myrcene and deeply inhale the fumes a few times, you can feel the couch lock effects of Myrcene.
As applies to all the terpenes (what they actually do) e.g humulene, an appetite suppressor. Got the munchies, take a couple of sniffs and they go away.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
if you are simply talking about the 'smell' of cannabis then your points about other components affecting the final smell then yes...

however if are talking about the 'effect' then terpenes are very powerful and have a dramatic impact on the final outcome...the entourage system in cannabis is fascinating...i make canna caps and come create multiple effects from a single strain..ie sleep, active. happy or soothing by simply manipulating the terpenes and qualities...

a small amount goes a very long way, I use 1 - 1.5ml to make 120 caps...and my caps smell nothing like cannabis...

i use these:

i will put a drop of myrcene on a tissue and place in a tin with same stash and see if it does has an effect...

i'll report back...

If you simply remove the cap from a bottle of Myrcene and deeply inhale the fumes a few times, you can feel the couch lock effects of Myrcene.

absolutely...got a hit just dosing the tissue...

I'd really enjoy trying clean full spectrum cannabis flavors......

My/the post that I accidentally deleted was based on the aforementioned comments. I need to start with a disclaimer! I am far from an expert on this. However, as my avatar indicates I am a patient, not a rec user and hence why I spent a lot of time researching the subject. I was once a “youngin”. As most I gave it up later in life once I was married. Being a serviceman, there was a good chance I would have gotten busted. I was away from the scene for 37 yrs, only returning once legalized. I was busted @17 and would have been thrown out if I had got busted again.

I am a retired serviceman afflicted with documented GWS (gulf war syndrome) At least Canada recognized it not unlike the US which treated GWS the same way they never acknowledged “agent orange” complete denial.

FWIW, GWS among ground troops was a direct result of using “depleted Uranium shells” (a Japanese doctor stumbled across it using nuclear biology) tank busters. Depleted Uranium is pretty much benign in its solid state. That being said, when combusted creates an extremely toxic compound/gas much worst than the raw form. BTW, depleted uranium can be found in the common smoke detectors. I was not a pongo, I was a sailor and albeit we weren't on land, we don't know what the air contained. That being said, I used to be sharp as a whip in the day, only to see my short term memory deteriorate after my return. I was 34 yrs old at the time.

My symptoms have been growing exponentially since '99. I attributed it to getting old. During a smoke break I was talking to a young fellow who served alongside me during the war. He said Chief, It has nothing to do with getting old. I am young and I am afflicted as well. The cause, https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/sources/pyridostigmine-bromide.asp. This is not the original link that I had originally found around 2000. However, within a couple of years or my return, I started to get weird diseases. I am not going to discuss my issues here. Suffice to say that they are real, and the FDA to state that side effects only apply to 1% of folks taken the drug. The drug the Canadians were taking, came from Sweden, and testing had yet to be completed.

In subsequent years, many drugs affect me that shouldn't (can't correlate that statement) and I tell my Dr that, that is fine unless you fall within that 1%. Prior to the GW, outside of the odd cold, I was as healthy as a horse.

In 2012 I was diagnosed with diabetes, a self inflicted ailment caused by lifestyle. When I was diagnosed my AIC was 19.1. We brought that down with a change in lifestyle and Metformin (I have to repeat myself here, because I don't have a link to my original post “introduce yourself”). My doctor, said bravo! Now we need to address your cholesterol. My number always sat between 4-4.5. They changed the matrix since those days. Although my number sits in the low 4, she doesn't like my ratio between good and bad cholesterol. She asked me what my feeling were towards statins? I said they should be avoided like the plague. Funny talking about the plague these days. Because I enjoy grapefruit juice in the morning (which is good for cholesterol maintenance) I couldn't take Lipitor and opted for Crestor. I could drink grapefruit juice with Crestor. Low and behold, within 6 weeks I lost total use of my legs. I went off the drug and my motor skills returned to my legs within 3-4 days. Told my doc and she wanted me to go on Lipitor. I said we will revisit my position a month from now. Besides, where I had my blood sugar well under control, my readings were all over the map after I was placed on statins. For the sake of brevity statins are the leading cause of the development of type 2 diabetes in otherwise healthy patients. So I chose supplements instead of statins and my doctor was pissed. She changed her tune when I told her so, stating she believed in alternate medicine (bullshit). The supplement was bringing my bad down and my good up, but it wasn't happening fast enough.

• I want to discuss the side effects of Metformin, an oral drug, pretty much benign compared to Insulin which causes obesity. Regardless, Metformin does cause liver and kidney damage, not to mention accelerated onset of dementia. Supplements help alleviate some unwanted side effects. I was on 17 different supplements at one time. Recommended by my wife, who is better versed on the subject.

• Anyone ever hear about “codex alimentarus” which was legislation that never passed, removing all vitamin and supplements from the market.
    • So part of the problem with statins is that it stops the natural production of the co-enzyme CQ-10 which the heart needs for its proper function. Now Metformin didn't eliminate the CQ10, but reduced the production of, hence the supplement. You are worried about my heart, yet your statins are not just sending my AIC all over the map, it is stopping production of the natural production of the enzyme.
She stated she was looking after my well being, especially my heart and the prevention of strokes. My blood sugar OTOH was once again stable. She was able to convince me to go on Lipitor. My blood sugar was once again all over the map and If I had a morning reading under 10, I was happy. My AIC was 9.3. She was sort of happy with the cholesterol results but dismissed my findings. One of the things Lipitor was doing to me was “brain fog”. Does GWS have anything to do with it? I don't know. Regardless... we were at a NY eve party in 2017 and we were (my wife and I) talking to a women where her mother was suffering from brain fog since she was placed on Lipitor. I never took it again and the brain fog more or less went away. The dementia is still there. My father had Alzheimer.

Since we were legalizing in 2018, I started to research cannabis. My wife (2nd) never used and I was flabbergasted that she told me to give it a whirl. Long and short, since medicating with cannabis my A1C sits around 4.9-5.1. She was happy as a clam, until I told her what I was doing, which she stated their is no scientific evidence to support your claims, and tried to dissuade me of using cannabis as the insurance company didn't pay for it. How can you afford cannabis? I plan to grow my own. My A1C wasn't that low in the beginning, but it kept lowering over time to my current numbers. I once again told her what I was doing, and once again I was chastise. Now when she tells me, wow, keep up the good work, I simply smile and said I will :)

Since, she as got me on a non “statin” med that doesn't play havoc with my A1C but, it is too slow reacting as far as she is concerned, which she wants me on the 2nd drug she had recommended. Based on me seeming to fall in that 1% category, I chose the lesser of the 2 evils. Last phone appt (because of Covid) I said I would get back to her. So I am using natural supplements to increase good and decrease my bad. We will revisit my position in 6 months from now. Sorry for the long dissertation, I need to lay the foundation for the following discussion.

I will start with sunshine whom was my original individual I was addressing in that post.

I'd really enjoy trying clean full spectrum cannabis flavors......
They do exist but, considering terpenes are essential oils found in nature derived from plants etc... we wouldn't need cannabis to cure what ails us. Wrt full spectrum, yes they do exist.

(click to enlarge)

https://trueterpenes.com/shop/terpene-strains/precision-profiles/ I do not endorse this company although I have bought and used the following products:

• humulene
  • pinene
  • myrcene and
  • linalool
True terpenes was also at the center of the vaping controversy last year with their dillutant. As a reformed smoker now a vaper (10 yrs and counting), I used the appropriate dillutant, for my vape juice. AAMOF I make my own liquids. They did exactly what they were supposed to do. e.g humulene is a appetite suppressor. Got the munchies? Take a few toots and munchies are gone, etc... and, yes, simply sniffing them will do the same thing.

BTW, terps aren't cheap. They were bought early on before legalization. I have since given them to a friend because I have found what I was looking for as far as medicine is concerned.

For Sunshine here are but a few examples of full profiles available.

(click to enlarge)

Here is what terpenes can do for you:

• A pinene
    • memory retention; and
    • alertness.

• Humulene
    • appetite suppressor
    • anti-inflammation
    • anti-bacterial; and
    • pain.

• Linalool
    • sedating;
    • calming;
    • insomnia;
    • stress/depression; and
    • anxiety.

• Myrcene
    • sedating;
    • relaxing;
    • boost THC;
    • anti-septic;
    • anti-bacterial; and
    • anti-fungal.

• Caryophylene
    • anti-oxydant;
    • anti-inflammation;
    • muscle spasm;
    • pain; and
    • insomnia.

• Limonene
    • elevates the mood;
    • stress relief;
    • anti-depressant;
    • anti-anxiety; and
    • anti-fungal.
Of course there is one that is not mentioned is Black Elderberry, sold as Sumbocal which, is an anti-viral medicine.

I make no claims on this particular medicine, and don't for one second think it will cure what ails you with this pandemic. My name isn't Donald. But, it definitely acts as an antiviral for the common flue by eradication the viral spikes (the golf tees you see a top the covid bug), preventing the virus from attaching to the cells and polluting them. Since, the children no longer live with us, we have had very few colds since then. That combine that if we feel the onset of a cold or flew, we treat it with preventive medicine:

• vitamin C;
  • vitamin D; and
  • Echinacea with golden seal. 3x a day for a day or 2 until symptoms go away sometimes, if caught early and on time. The flue doesn't materialize itself.
I think now is a good time to post this link here:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZb10ZxpBk [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Inside Story of Cannabidiol - What are the Benefits of CBD? Best darn explanation I have ran across. Modern/western medicine treats the symptoms, not the root causes. CBD OTOH treats the cause. A 5 year old (not to be insulting) can thorughly comprehend the medical mumbo jumbo explained therein. BTW, when CBD is introduced at the top of the mobile, and falls like stars, that is what happens (a tingling sensation throughout your body) especially when I ingest ACDC.

Going back to nature lets discuss aroma therapy for a second. Run lavender for 1 hr (on a timer) and tell me how relaxed you will sleep and wake in the morning. TBS (that being said), I wouldn't use terpenes for aroma therapy. Terpenes for this subject are simply too new, much, much more study is required on them. IMHO, use at your own risk!!!

Many have chat on legalization, I for one like the fact that I can grow my own medicine. Finding the strains I use, is akin to finding a needle in a hay stack at best, not to mention legal weed is nothing more than garbage. I don't get high. I medicate!

In closing, I am sorry for the long post but, I hope I shed some light on the subject from my research. That being said...

Full disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. I do not endorse any products from true terpenes. OTOH, I fully endorse the use of the supplements mentioned here:
[/FONT]

• vitamin C;
  • vitamin D;
  • Echinacea with golden seal; and
  • Sumbucol
OTOH, since terpenes come from essential oils, the operative word being "oil". I wouldn't be flavouring my buds and then smoking them.To fully closed, do your own research... "let your fingers do the walking"

PS: Epidiolex FDA approved as a legal replacement for Charlotte's Wed, had listed on their site for side effects. The #1 was..."may cause kidney failure" It is no longer listed. Just like them synthesizing THC, which comprises two components that will not bind together in synthetic form, from my research. Cannabis OTOH is pretty damn well benign!

Switcher signing off ...

ozzieAI

Veteran
that's a lot of info to digest there switcher, thanks for your contribution

i started making caps a couple of years ago and they have had a very positive affect to my health and well being:

• migraines are now close to disappeared
    *]stopped using anti-inflammatory medication for a bulging disc in my neck and arthritis in my shoulder
  • cholesterol has gone from 7.5 down to 5.2
  • liver has gone from poor to normal
    [

the last 2 points made my doc very impressed, this is after he tried to get me on statins and some other drug...

there are others who i make caps for to mainly treat inflammation, sleep issues and depression...

I wouldn't be flavouring my buds and then smoking them.

i take your point here, but adding extra terpenes that all ready exist in the bud shouldn't be that detrimental as long as you don't go overboard...this is something i am not going to get into the habit of doing. i prefer using an oil burner to apply the terpene effect...plus vaping @ 195 C like i do doesn't create toxins as smoking or dabbing does...

as a word of warning on terpene use i post this here: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130
Toxicant Formation in Dabbing: The Terpene Story

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
that's a lot of info to digest there switcher, thanks for your contribution

i started making caps a couple of years ago and they have had a very positive affect to my health and well being:

• migraines are now close to disappeared
    *]stopped using anti-inflammatory medication for a bulging disc in my neck and arthritis in my shoulder
  • cholesterol has gone from 7.5 down to 5.2
  • liver has gone from poor to normal
the last 2 points made my doc very impressed, this is after he tried to get me on statins and some other drug...

there are others who i make caps for to mainly treat inflammation, sleep issues and depression...

i take your point here, but adding extra terpenes that all ready exist in the bud shouldn't be that detrimental as long as you don't go overboard...this is something i am not going to get into the habit of doing. i prefer using an oil burner to apply the terpene effect...plus vaping @ 195 C like i do doesn't create toxins as smoking or dabbing does...

as a word of warning on terpene use i post this here: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acsomega.7b01130
Toxicant Formation in Dabbing: The Terpene Story
Valid point good buddy but, there are some that believe it is the way of the future. I have been through the same shit on vaping forums, where some were using essential oils over flavouring. Personally I don't care what folks do to turn their crank. I am not a rec user as stated. I don't fuck around with my health.

Do you mind touching a bit more on your cholesterol and liver a little more in depth good buddy? Send me a PM. Thanks :tiphat:

ozzieAI

Veteran
PM sent...not to clog up this thread, the only thing I will add is that ingesting cannabis in my experience is a better method to activate the endocannabinoid system then vaping or smoking...terpenes add to this benefit in the ways listed in switchers post above...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
We really can only talk about our own experience, especially since we self-medicate with dope. Here's mine:

I read on Granny Stormcrow's site that fish oil is also good for your EC system. So I also take some of that. As long as we are on supplements, I take:

Cardio-C (2500 good vit C and 2500 lysine)
Barlow Herbal LDM-100, and throat spray
Baking soda in the water I drink. I drink about 10-12 bottles / day.
Vit D, fish oil, multi (centrium silver)
I am gonna start L'argenine and maybe yohimba. I think I need N-O.

I have been monitoring my sleep with a little O2 ring and a microphone. It has shown that showering at night instead or the morning, and rinsing my sinuses, greatly improves my sleep. I am avoiding a CPAP. IMO, good sleep is key to good health.

I eat probably 8-10 75 mg (or higher) cookies daily, and vape a lot too. More vape than the cookies, cause vaping doesn't get me as high as the cookies. That is because most of the oils are in the ABV. Combining the edibles, vaping, and the CBD tincture orally, seems to be getting the whole shebang. Half the cookies are in the last hours I am awake (9-11),then pass out.

However, I am way behind on consuming the butter from the ABV, so I try to give cookies and sometimes butter to people who appreciate them.

Blood work physical showed everything was nominal. Pot is good for you. Unless I am screwing something up (as in the sacs of the lungs, or lining of the blood vessels, who knows?), I also think vaping the light aromatics off flower is good for your lungs. They just did a stress test on me, and said my stuff is normal for my age.

But!! Dammit, I get tired and winded so easliy, working in the 95*F, 95% humidity, sun. I have been very hard on my lungs over the years. Liver too.

Getting old isn't for wimps. Getting stoned is bad for equipment.

Last edited: