What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

G

18c is not too bad at all man. I have red wrigglers. Never had the ANC but I heard they will crawl away lol.
Mine have bred up even through winter here. It gets down to near zero at night.
Atm in feeding soley kitchen scraps (veg scraps, tiolet rolls, egg shells, coffee grounds, paper towel) but usually I rotate that with aged cow manure, and compost.
I have fed only compost in another system, I used to make good diverse compost, then run this thorough the worms for ultra refined castings.
The reason to turn food into a slop is to help them process it faster.
The population will increase via geometric pressure. They court by blundering into each so darkness, crowded conditions and abundant food make the most efficient worm farm. They will eat their own bodyweight in food. per day so 1kg of worms can grow to process 1Tonne of rubbish per day within a year. But they self regulate the population so you don't need to come up with a tonne per day:biggrin:

G

I've read that the ANCs are the only bait worm that doesn't need refrigeration, and they need something like 70-85F to be comfortable. Even when I wrapped the bin in insulation, outside of the grow room, the bedding was getting down to 68-69F and they started to escape en masse. Temps back up above 72 and they stay put...probably just the wrong choice of worm for my basement. Will see how this first batch does over the coming months and review my options at that time.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Peace
DM

G

It's been about a week since I started germinating VerdantGreen's Bubba Kush S1. I'm really excited to see what she looks like at 10 weeks flowering. I won't know how long she'll veg until the other 3 strains are above ground in a few weeks, though.

picture.php

Checked the soil moisture and pH levels in 4 different spots today. First 4-5" are moderately damp, and pH reads between 6.6 - 6.7. RH levels have moderated from yesterday's post-watering spike, back around 57%. I won't water the whole bed for a bit since it has good moisture levels deeper down currently. No activity in the CSI Bubba S1 camp just yet...

Peace
DM

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hi,

What a well thought out build! It is nice to watch someone with a good plan execute it. I can imagine that feeling when that first seed came up! After being away from growing that must have been pure elation.

Your light is fine for seedlings. I start them under a 1k hps or outdoors under the big sun. Just popped some seeds this week outside and they are doing great. Low light for seeds is a myth.

I grew Verdant's Bubba and I can tell you that you are in for a treat! Excellent quality plants from all the seeds with slight variations, yet all keepers. More folks should grow his seeds as the Digital Berry is outstanding as well. Top notch breeder.

Thanks for posting and I look forward to following your progress!

Happy Labor day!

G

Thanks for the kind words, Happy Labor Day!

...I can imagine that feeling when that first seed came up! After being away from growing that must have been pure elation...

My wife feigns interest and is supportive, thankfully, but she laughs when I get so excited about these things. That's part of the reason I'm here; (most of) you all can sympathize.

...I grew Verdant's Bubba and I can tell you that you are in for a treat! Excellent quality plants from all the seeds with slight variations, yet all keepers. More folks should grow his seeds as the Digital Berry is outstanding as well. Top notch breeder...

I love the size of his op, coupled with the quality that comes from it. The BDB has been on my list, but you know how it goes... The current seed stash is a 3+ year project by itself if everything works out, and of course it doesn't... So I'll live vicariously through others, such as yourself, until such a time that I can BlueDigiBerry down.

A cool underneath shot of the VG Bub this evening...the spot on the leaf is from a careless water droplet left on top after a misting. Wouldn't be growing without imperfections! Ha

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

CSI: Humboldt - Bubba S1 ready to pop up, seeing some upward movement from this AM. Been about 70 hours since start of germination...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Welcome aboard! There's only one rule: No jumping on the bed. :jump:

Peace
DM

Mattbho

Lol . I absolutely love crave some decent bubba so i will pull up a chair if you dont mind .

Do you plan on adding worms to your bed eventually ? Using fresh castings it im pretty sure worms will happen 1 way or another . Nice set up !!!!
Also being new to leds im sure youve read the plants do better around 80-82. They like it a tad warmer than a typical hps temps

G

Lol . I absolutely love crave some decent bubba so i will pull up a chair if you dont mind .

Do you plan on adding worms to your bed eventually ? Using fresh castings it im pretty sure worms will happen 1 way or another . Nice set up !!!!
Also being new to leds im sure youve read the plants do better around 80-82. They like it a tad warmer than a typical hps temps

Welcome! I'm hoping to find a keeper somewhere in these Bubba S1s, it'll be fun to do a side-by-side with two different breeders' stock.

The worms have already made their way into the bed...lol I had their bin on top of the cardboard covering the bed, and I found a few escapees who found salvation in the moist soil underneath. Don't know that they'll last that long in there without supplemental feeding, but best of luck to them!

Had not read about plants liking warmer temps under LEDs. I'll look into it, but my first instinct tells me you'll use a lot more water and elec due to evaporation. You've got me curious now...

VerdantGreen - Bubba Kush S1

picture.php

CSI: Humboldt - Bubba S1

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I thought the CSI Bubba would have opened up it's shell today, but slow going. This pic was taken about 6 hours ago, and she's made a little progress since then.

picture.php

VG Bubba working on that second set of leaves

picture.php

I was thinking more about the remaining 3 strains I'll be running this first round, and Three Queens (WiFi 43 x Bubba) sounds like she may be pretty slow, too... I might start germing her in the next few days. Saving the Mendocino Purple Kush (Mendocino Purple x Bubba) and Sugar Puffs (Bubblegum x Mendocino Purple) for another week or two after that. I don't plan to let any of the girls get very big in veg, maybe 12-18", before I flip to 12s, and I know the MPK and Sugar Puffs will probably grow legs quick.

I also intend to let the plants keep their natural shape somewhat this first round, no topping, scrogging, or LST. I'll take a clone from each, and remove any larf branches along the way. Just like to see the plant structure the first time, knowing that I may we'll be sacrificing quantity/quality for the sake of my quirks. That is, so long as the plants allow it. Any of them get too tall and I'll do what I need to.

Peace
DM

G

Thanks!

The CSI Bubba was stuck together and needed some assistance. I cleaned all the tools with 99% ISO Alcohol and was as gentle as I could be. No trauma to the seedling from what I could tell, and the operation was a success! Cotyledons are now detached from each other (and sorta purple tie-dyed color), should be opened up tonight or tomorry. I'm guessing the seed being almost 5 years old (without refrigeration, mind you) has something to do with it...

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

Last edited:
G

It's been 1 week of veg for VerdantGreen's Bubba Kush S1. I'd say she's doing fairly well, except for the water droplet magnifying glass incident...

picture.php

And the CSI Bubba S1 is starting to open up on her own, ever-so-slightly. That first set of leaves starting to peek out.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Answered your Q already on page 3:

All the parts, excluding the ratchet cords for hanging the light, came out to $852.92. Took me about an hour to put it together.

I haven't plugged it into the power meter yet, but plan to do so today.

Peace
DM

G

VG Bub showing the stems of the first set of leaves. Keeping temps around 78F, RH between 60-70% for the next few weeks.

picture.php

Peace
DM