What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Things Falling Apart: BAD SIGNS

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
So moose, do I hear you correctly saying that it no longer bothers you that it's not "Ecologically sound", you're gonna use it anyway? :whistling:

.................. but what about the children moose?

moose eater

So moose, do I hear you correctly saying that it no longer bothers you that it's not "Ecologically sound", you're gonna use it anyway? :whistling:

.................. but what about the children moose?
No, I put it in the reuse area bin to go to the caustic substances recycling bin there.

I wrote that I had my wife pick up 2 tubes of some good current stuff in a toothpaste-type tube, with an aplicator brush nearly identical to the stuff I'm discarding. Seam sealer that's not close to 20 years old or better.

But I still have an old stash of the good ol' fashioned copper naphthenate here, for treating/preserving wood, but I no longer use it in anything like a residential application.

And an aerosol spray can from over 25 years ago of CB-38 (or something like that) that was later banned, I'm told. It was from way back when I had an infestation that nothing could fully rid from the place. I wore a properly fitted Israeli gas mask into the shop and liberally distributed the stuff, turning off all the circulation fans, and blocking any air passages. After which no one went in for a good while; no dogs, people, or... well, maybe a trespassing ant or mosquito or two died in there, but I felt nothing for them, really.

I can be cold that way.

The CB-38 stuff worked -really- well, too.

moose eater

A jug of chlordane and creosote should take care of any issues.
In the bush, we used to take kerosene or diesel fuel, and dissolve Chevron cold roofing tar (the blue 5-gallon bucket), dissolve the roofing tar until it seemed like an obscene amount had gone into the slurry, and paint that on logs or lumber with a broom, then let it air dry for days, and use them for bottom logs or plates on exterior cabin walls or support blocking where there was ground contact.

But copper naphthenate kills fungus, wood rot, inhibits some bugs from pestering or devouring one's home, and more. Why drive a Rambler when you can have a Ferrari?

I have the 25 year old wood preservative, as well as some 15 year old, which I think was also removed from the market eventually.

I use them sparingly, and with sturdy nitrile gloves on when I use them. I suspected that when we were building our house here 25 years ago, and treating bottom plates in exterior walls on the foundation with the CN, and I got slathered real good on my hands and even through my sneakers, that this may have had something to do with noted changes in circulation in hands and feet that year. But my building's still standing.

Oh, I also use ant poison every 6-10 years, spraying the ground immediately next to the flashing around the base of the exterior of the house, the flashing itself, right up to the vinyl siding, and the base of the interior of exterior walls in the basement.

I really don't use too many poisons or toxic products here, really, but when I need them, I want what works best.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
In the bush, we used to take kerosene or diesel fuel, and dissolve Chevron cold roofing tar (the blue 5-gallon bucket), dissolve the roofing tar until it seemed like an obscene amount had gone into the slurry, and paint that on logs or lumber with a broom, then let it air dry for days, and use them for bottom logs or plates on exterior cabin walls or support blocking where there was ground contact.

But copper naphthenate kills fungus, wood rot, inhibits some bugs from pestering or devouring one's home, and more. Why drive a Rambler when you can have a Ferrari?

I have the 25 year old wood preservative, as well as some 15 year old, which I think was also removed from the market eventually.

I use them sparingly, and with sturdy nitrile gloves on when I use them. I suspected that when we were building our house here 25 years ago, and treating bottom plates in exterior walls on the foundation with the CN, and I got slathered real good on my hands and even through my sneakers, that this may have had something to do with noted changes in circulation in hands and feet that year. But my building's still standing.

Oh, I also use ant poison every 6-10 years, spraying the ground immedaitely next to the flashing around the base of the exterior of the house, the flashing itself, right up to the vinyl siding, and the base of the interior of exterior walls in the basement.

I really don't use too many poisons or toxic products here, really, but when I need them, I want what works best.
from your description of usage, it's not like you are pouring the stuff into creeks, rivers, etc, but putting it where it needs to be & nowhere else. it is the imbeciles that spray the shit on food crops & too close to water sources that cause the problems along with morons that toss the cans into trash heaps etc. you sound like a pretty damn responsible person to me. oh, and screw a whole lot of ants! it's a never ending battle... :good:

St. Phatty

Lifestyles of the Rich & ?

Sergei Brin's soon to be ex-wife Nicole Shanahan, had a fling with Elon Musk at some Miami art show.

She is suing Brin for $1 Billion in the divorce.

They were together 4 years.

Musk poached Brin's wife at some art gallery, in Miami in November 2021, the "Art Basel" show.

I wouldn't mind if Brin shoots Musk in revenge.

But so far, Brin is only selling his Tesla stock. Says he's selling all his Musk related investments/ gambles. But SpaceX is privately held.

The "things-falling-apart-bad-signs" part is ... you spent 2 minutes of your life reading about this Soap Opera !

moose eater

from your description of usage, it's not like you are pouring the stuff into creeks, rivers, etc, but putting it where it needs to be & nowhere else. it is the imbeciles that spray the shit on food crops & too close to water sources that cause the problems along with morons that toss the cans into trash heaps etc. you sound like a pretty damn responsible person to me. oh, and screw a whole lot of ants! it's a never ending battle... :good:
All run-off flows downhill, though how far you are from a flowing body of water, or how deep is a water table, and how much filtration in the way of gravel, sand, soil etc. all figure in, too.

We try to limit the use of such things. But sometimes....

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
............ it's the price we all pay for progress and civilization, we're all gonna drown in our own waste and stink up the place! :tiphat:
i've seen a lot of "progress" in my 64 years, and i gotta say...i'm not real impressed with much of what we have "accomplished". we HAVE moved forward in many ways, not all of them to the benefit of the planet we live on, or to us either. civilization? when Gandhi toured the US decades ago, he was being interviewed by a gentleman who asked him what he thought of western civilization, to which he replied "I think that would be a very good idea..."

h.h.

Veteran
Wood rot happens at ground level. You only really need to treat about one foot of your post. Microorganisms and all. For that they sell a wrap that works quite well.

moose eater

they're sold by the pound, right? :shucks: nothing out there heavier than mercury & lead...
The mercury I was aware of, as even in the bush here, in the middle of nowhere in the Wrangell-St. Elias Range, there are placards warning folks not to eat fish 'x' from 'y' waters more than 'z' times/month/week/etc. Acid rain and the contents it carries spare no part of the Earth; it all flows downhill.

But lead? That was a new one on me. Can't recall seeing a warning on my smoked baby clams (canned) in the past that mentioned lead.

Here I thought all this time that filter-feeding shell fish were rather friendly critters, aside from that whole red tide thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts