What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs in my soil

Went to go rip out all the native plants that were growing in my pots today and every time I disturbed the soil I saw lots and lots of bugs crawling in the soil. They had wings. What can I do to kill them? My wife says put diatomaceous earthin the soil when I till it. I don’t have much money right now so the cheaper options are what I need. All input appreciated tho!

hellfire

Try to identify them first. Check the root aphid thread. Beneficial nematodes, mosquito dunks/bti and soil mites like minute pirate bugs can help with soil pests.

St. Phatty

Went to go rip out all the native plants that were growing in my pots today and every time I disturbed the soil I saw lots and lots of bugs crawling in the soil. They had wings. What can I do to kill them? My wife says put diatomaceous earthin the soil when I till it. I don’t have much money right now so the cheaper options are what I need. All input appreciated tho!

why would you want to kill them ?

it's not like they're going to kill your Cannabis clones or seedlings.

you could get some Ladybugs or Praying Mantises at the grow shop for when the Cannabis eating insects do arrive.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yes, diatomaceous earth works wonders!!! If they have wings, most likely a pest!!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Put an empty pot of compst, (don't need to fill it) in with the others. Water it well and let the others dry out. Keep throwing the contents out and repeat. They tend to move if they fly.

By empty I mean no plants not no compost

Today I started rolling the pots with the Stihl 131r kombi system tiller I got this thing kicks ass. I went to show the bugs to my wife and disturbed soil in a few places and they were not there. I thought maybe from me ripping out plants yesterday they got spooked and left the soil? Also saw them coming up the side of the pot to go back into the soil. They look like light green cockroaches. I had an infestation of thrips one year but the leaves never looked affected from them even tho they were everywhere. I’m guessing they’ve stuck around since then.