What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Haskel pneumatic refrigerant pumps

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The owner lives in Seattle, so it will be tough to get it reposted in one day. I sent off an email and await the response.

Solly for the delay; I finally connected, despite his broken computer and full voice mail.

It looks like Skunk Pharm Research has their link back up, but I did get permission from the owner M. A. Ross, to post it at our new site, so it will be available there as well. Once we do, I'll share that link here.

As much effort as I, Ross, HIS, and Haskel put into organizing and producing this rebuild video, there is no way we will let it get lost.

SamuraiSam

Thanks for your efforts in rehosting the video, it's very helpful when getting through that first rebuild.

I found that one of the extra O rings for the cycling valve may be used on the cap that threads into seal the cycling valve.

Since the video was down when I did my rebuild, I reached out to Chris Cain at FLW who was very helpful in getting the rebuild done right.

We had purchased one of FLW's upgrade kits to allow both one and two stage operation, and have found our CLS's lower systems mean we are usually running our pump from 10-20psi inlet pressure. There's a little bit of sensitivity in controlling speed properly at such low pressures with our throttle valve, and Chris mentioned that FLW makes a 'low pressure mod' that feeds higher pressured air into the shuttle valve to keep it cycling nicely at lower pressures. Has anyone out there in ICmag land tried out such a mod?

Florida Gold

Not sure if right thread but its a question about my haskel.

My haskel ext420 is making a constant hissing sound out of the exhaust. I can feel pressure coming through it constantly still strong when the piston is hitting but I have never had that before so I know something is wrong.

I've watched the awesome rebuild video and have done that before with no issue multiple times, its always ran great afterwards. Last rebuild was a month ago and this just started.

Just curious if there is a common o-ring or something that would cause this issue.

Thanks.

Dave at Haskel

Not sure if right thread but its a question about my haskel.

My haskel ext420 is making a constant hissing sound out of the exhaust. I can feel pressure coming through it constantly still strong when the piston is hitting but I have never had that before so I know something is wrong.

I've watched the awesome rebuild video and have done that before with no issue multiple times, its always ran great afterwards. Last rebuild was a month ago and this just started.

Just curious if there is a common o-ring or something that would cause this issue.

Thanks.

Florida Gold,

If the pump seems to be operating fine, but you hear the hissing, there is probably a damaged or worn out o-ring on the cycling valve. Check those and make sure they are lubed up well.

If that doesn't do it, let me know.

Dave

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A salute to Dave for demonstrating how to rebuild a Haskel and for tending this thread fatefully since 12/2014.

What other pump manufacturer has done that???

Lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu!!!!!!!! Thanks for the solid support Dave and thanks to Haskel for such a reliable workhorse.

Last edited:

Dave at Haskel

Gray Wolf,

Thanks for the kind words, although this thread has been going since 12/2014. I've enjoyed being here and working with everyone. One of the fun things is meeting a lot of readers at the various shops and trade shows I attend.

Dave

PS - I still owe you an answer on your question, I think I can make it work, but I'm still trying to confirm.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf,

Thanks for the kind words, although this thread has been going since 12/2014. I've enjoyed being here and working with everyone. One of the fun things is meeting a lot of readers at the various shops and trade shows I attend.

Dave

PS - I still owe you an answer on your question, I think I can make it work, but I'm still trying to confirm.

Oooops, sorry, that was a typo, cause I did look up the start date first. Corrected now!

Waiting with bait on mah breath on the question!

Last edited:

Florida Gold

Thanks so much Dave, that video has saved me hours of down time by being able to easily rebuild it myself with instruction.

If any one else has the same issue I found it to be the ring in the bottom with the bumper on it. The bumper even though being pretty new had a indent around it making it more rounded instead of nice and flat. Once that was replaced it was as good as new.

Thanks again.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• Dave rebuilding Haskel.jpg
    Dave rebuilding Haskel.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 71

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mitch did a great job on the video! Too bad he didn't get my good side, oh wait, there is no good side...

Thanks for posting!

Dave

Sorry I missed your good side too Dave. I agree that your other side is much purdier and don't know what I was thining.

s1rvega

Hey Dave

Im having really serious issues with my Haskel EXT420 but none of the reps here in Canada are able to assist, and was hoping i can pick your brain before i burn out my compressor and my pump. I apologize for going off topic on this thread but I cant find the option to direct message you.

Dave at Haskel

Hey Dave

Im having really serious issues with my Haskel EXT420 but none of the reps here in Canada are able to assist, and was hoping i can pick your brain before i burn out my compressor and my pump. I apologize for going off topic on this thread but I cant find the option to direct message you.

Hi, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm currently in Europe and will be there for several more days. I think your best best would be to call Joe Jesse at FLW, he is very familiar with the operation and usage of the EXT420 (in some aspects, better than me). His number is: 503-314-9676.

Dave

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Merry December 25th, to all ya'll readers and Haskel International, regardless of faith and how you celebrate it

Kudos and accolades to Dave for religiously tending Haskel pump threads on this forum since 2014 and reliably answering our questions in a friendly manner. An archetype of the customer service that we manufacturers covet when building equipment that we are responsible for supporting in the field.

Dave at Haskel

Merry December 25th, to all ya'll readers and Haskel International, regardless of faith and how you celebrate it

Kudos and accolades to Dave for religiously tending Haskel pump threads on this forum since 2014 and reliably answering our questions in a friendly manner. An archetype of the customer service that we manufacturers covet when building equipment that we are responsible for supporting in the field.

Gray Wolf,

Thank you for the kind words! I continue to enjoy supporting this industry.

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and that they will have a Happy New Year!

Dave from Haskel

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That was my standard pump for Mark IV and V Terpenators, which I converted to switchable single or double stage operation. A reliable workhorse safe to use in a C2CD1 environment.

Here is how I converted it and the later EXT 420 to be stage selectable.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...o-selectable-single-or-double-stage-operation

I'll let Dave suggest the best source for parts, as it is different depending on where you live.

Latest posts

Latest posts