Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Biggest possible outdoor plant

Thread Title Search
Biggest possible outdoor plant Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 AM #11
theJointedOne

theJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mr.mustard View Post
Outside of the usual constraints, why would you want to put as many eggs in one basket?
Just to see whats possible i guess..

theJointedOne is offline Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 04:12 AM #12
caliprop215

caliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura about
I would LOVE TO SEE A OLD STADIUM FILLED FROM 1 GIANT GANJA BUSH! Possibly the biggest plant ever grown?

Whose gonna be first one to do this?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=350645
caliprop215 is online now Quote

Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM #13
Trichomez1

Trichomez1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Anything over 8 feet tall is going to be a problem moving around I think.
So lets say an 8 footer was planted may 1st in 160 gals of good soil. I wonder if it could hit 25 feet in the 3.5 months outside before flowering. Lol imagine stretch on a 25 footer.
Trichomez1 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 PM #14
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
160 gallons of soil is not nearly enough. 300-400 gallons is the minimum for even a tiny plant put out june 1st.
Also there is only so big you can veg a plant in a pot before u put it in its final home. You are limited by the size pot u use for veg. 15 -20 gallon for veg is the biggest u can really move and transplant. If u let them grow to long in those 15g pots they will start growing strictly vertically and after u transplant it u will have a hard time getting it to grow horizontally again. If you let them get root bound in your pre veg pots, they end up choking themselves out later in the year.
Also, i believe veging indoors is counter productive. I hear plenty of talk about "15lb plants" but i don't really actually think it's likely. I have never seen it.
If u wanted to grow the biggest plant possible, it would need to be veging in its final spot all winter in a greenhouse. Not transferred in the spring to its final spot.
People claim 15lb plants but i just don't really think i believe it. I don't even know if i have truley seen a 10 lb plant. My plants are as big as the biggest plants i have seen on this site, and while i don't know exactly how big they are, i bet i average about 5 or 6 lb.
My neighbor had really big seed plants lasts year. 14' wide and tall. He kept them perfectly green and healthy all year. He kept very detailed notes on everything and after his smalls were sorted he averaged less then 5lb.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 AM #15
theJointedOne

theJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant future
large plants are very real, i had a few old betsy couple years ago hit 11lbs

theJointedOne is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 PM #16
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
Its not that i don't believe that a plant can hit 10. I don't believe much more is possible. And i think most numbers i hear are inflated.

I can't know for sure because i don't keep good enough track. I'm still trimming from last year and i don't even know how many units i have gone through. I only Take tops too. I take a first cut and half a second cut.

The fact remains that there Its only So big of a plant You Can get. You pop seeds in feb. U veg in a heated greenhouse in 15-20 gal pots uncrowded. They stay perfectly healthy. U plant in may into big, well amended and balanced soil mounds. U keep them at peak health all year. There really is not much u can do to get a bigger plant. Its maxed out. The only other variable comes from strain. If its a blue dreamy strain that grows like a sativa and then puts out dense buds it could be 10lb. But i don't think any bigger by much.
A maxed out plant Is a maxed out plant. The only way u could get bigger Is by veging all winter in a greenhouse in the plants final mound. Then pulling the plastic off when the plant out grows the greenhouse.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 AM #17
Lost in a SOG

Lost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of lightLost in a SOG is a glorious beacon of light
Well ganja is closely related to hops and obviously likes to be trained and you could easily grow her kinda like the competition Pumpkin growers do and train her horizontally over a ridiculously large space in lush "perfect" conditions.

I think a major limiting factor in a soil grow like this might actually be infections/infestations. There will probably be a point where the plant can't get enough immobile nutrients around it's insane mammoth growth making her smell ohh so sweet to all the little evil shits and it doesn't take much pest damage to really bum cannabis out. Nature doesn't like you bending her laws lol

still If someone can grow a pumpkin or gourd the size and weight of a car I think we might be surprised what would be doable with cannabis.

But who would run such a risk?? come on who has the biggest?
https://associationofmasterherbalists.co.uk/members/
https://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/member-profiles
Real physics:
https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/about/syn/

Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 AM #18
caliprop215

caliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura aboutcaliprop215 has a spectacular aura about
Theres a few people in the outdoor forums with 10 footers already.....they will hit 10 plus

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=350645
caliprop215 is online now Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 AM #19
therevverend

therevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to behold
Even in my sandy soil and 5 hours of sun I can get 9 footers-15 footers are easy. Bigger then that, bigger then 10 lb yields is tricky. A lot of it is strain.

There's a lot of pictures of plants around ten pounds on the internet you don't see much bigger then that. I'm guessing soil is the biggest issue.

I saw a picture last year that came close. It was Southern Oregon, where I'd expect the largest plants to be grown. They have longer days in summer plus a long grow season. I'm guessing the plant yielded 20-30 lbs. It was enormous at 17 feet tall. Wish I knew the strain.

(edit) Here's the link to the picture. He says 100 feet. Ha. Ha.
https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/or...al-market.html

I have seeds of strains that are 10 lb capable. Just a matter of everything hitting just right.

The idea of an extended indoor veg aren't going to work. Best you can do is start outdoors March 1. Indoor lighting just isn't strong enough. By the time you deal with pot size, getting light up and down the entire plant, it's already losing more vigor then you're gaining.

I'd look to the subtropics. Growing a long flowering version of Blue Dream in Hawaii or Australia or Jamaica may be the ticket. Somewhere with days long enough not to stimulate early flowering in a plant with just enough Indica to give it dense nugs. Maybe a big Haze hybrid x Blue Dream.
therevverend is offline Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 05:08 AM #20
beefalo bill

beefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nicebeefalo bill is just really nice
I don't have firsthand knowledge of how to do this, but I did get to ask a similar question of someone(s) I'm fairly certain had the same thought decades before I did, and possibly before I was born. This is a paraphrasing of what was explained to me when I, in a scissor-hash induced haze, asked how to grow the most ridiculously huge individual plant possible to try to take advantage of plant-count laws. ~
If you start a plant in the fall, inside of a big PVC pipe in a greenhouse with additional lighting, it will stretch towards the light, without growing out at all. Once you get it to be 6-8' tall, you surgically split the stem, from the roots up, but not all the way. Coat every newly exposed surface with rooting hormone, splay that stem out, and bury it in a giant container, like a home-made hot-tub sized thing, all on a huge pallet. Then nurse it back to health without the PVC tube. Once you get it back up to 6-8' tall, you do the same stem-split, but from the top down. This time, after dousing everything with rooting hormone, wrap up all the exposed areas with grafting tape. Keep nursing it back to health until it can be moved outside into the sun. Make sure your forklift is suited to move the monster outside. At some point, you need to build a big trellis system, IIRC. I was shown some pics of plants that seemed to be a solid 20' tall, and round, like a ball. It was certainly the biggest plant I have seen a picture of. I can't recall what he said they pulled from it at the end of the year, but I remember some others with decades of outdoor growing experience estimating 50 to maybe 75% for the claimed yield. I'll see if I can dig up the pics they shared.... This first pic is what the split stems grow out like, but this is a "smaller" plant. Second one is after it's been outside a bit. Not a 30# monster, but it shows what's somewhat reasonably possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	462512 Click image for larger version

Name:	outside.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	462513

Last edited by beefalo bill; 07-12-2018 at 05:59 AM..
beefalo bill is offline Quote