What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Heavy Marijuana Users Earn Less

zbenjii

http://etd.lib.clemson.edu/documents/1306872757/Carnot_clemson_0050M_11171.pdf

[FONT=&quot] As you can see, the estimated decrease in income at the age of 23 for each day of marijuana use as a teen and each day of cigarette use as a teen are $70.38 and $90.16 respectively, while each day of alcohol use as a 16 year old is estimated to increase future earnings by an average of $233.69. The coefficients for the level of alcohol consumption and the level of cigarette consumption are both significantly different from zero at a 99% confidence level, while the coefficient for the number of days of marijuana use is only found to be significant at a 90% confidence level. Still, this regression is consistent with the previous results in this paper that suggested alcohol use as a teen was expected to increase future income, while both marijuana and cigarette use as a 16 year old was found to decrease earnings in young adults. [/FONT]

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Very interesting. Absolutely fascinating.

Correlation is not the same as causation.

I'd be very interested to see the correlation between early use of alcohol, learning to play golf, and lifetime income. Oh, let's look at lack of empathy as another possible factor also. That would be really interesting.

G

Goodkarma

Government...."screw the cirrhosis and lung cancer, keep these sheeple producing".

Skip

Veteran
Perhaps it has something to do with the LAW?

Marijuana users are PERSECUTED and REVILED in our society.

With them arresting 900,000 marijuana users a year, that goes on their record and will affect their job prospects.

So it's not necessarily marijuana use per se that is causing lower incomes, but the social and legal effects of being a marijuana user causing their earning power to diminish.

In other words it ain't the WEED that's the problem, it's the LAW that is...

O

OneTokeOver

I think it shows that cannabis enthusiasts know the true value of currency.

zbenjii

With them arresting 900,000 marijuana users a year, that goes on their record and will affect their job prospects.

So it's not necessarily marijuana use per se that is causing lower incomes, but the social and legal effects of being a marijuana user causing their earning power to diminish.

Although this may be the case, i believe heavy marijuana users make less money because marijuana inhibits motivation and encourages anti-social behavior.

Humans are social animals and as a result, our most highly valued individuals are those that can communicate effectively.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
it's gotta be the law cause i made more take home last year than the governor of my state.

the scientific evidence is irrefutable as it was a virtual side by side, with him drinking like a fish and chasing whores while i sat quietly at home tending my garden smoking reefer like a chimney. 62 now and i started when i was 15.

i think this pretty much blows their little research paper into the shitter.

therefore, aliens!

d9

abellguy

Although this may be the case, i believe heavy marijuana users make less money because marijuana inhibits motivation and encourages anti-social behavior.

Humans are social animals and as a result, our most highly valued individuals are those that can communicate effectively.

This might be the elephant in the room, but isn't this a social networking site of sorts? If there is a change in the way society views marijuana then there will be a change in workplace policies that keep perfectly good employee's from reaching their potentials :rasta:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

inhibits motivation? have you looked around this site yet? thousands upon thousands of highly motivated, hard working, very fucking smart people most of whom are highly socialized.

you're not getting the good stuff!

d9

Guest02345

this post is pure gold....110% truth

Skip

Veteran
Oh, yeah, after reading these responses, they have to qualify their study's results further...

it should read...

As you can see, the estimated decrease in REPORTED income at the age of 23 for each day of marijuana use as a teen

Hehe, that's the qualifier that separates the boozers from the growers...

zbenjii

icmag forum members are not representative of all marijuana consumers.

Being a slave to the system is just another perspective on bringing value to society. Like it or not, we are part of an intricate system of buyers and sellers. There is one end goal: reproduction. Our legacy, the only thing we leave after we die, is our offspring.

In this global economy, the winners are those that reproduce. With inflation, increasing population, and limited employment, reproduction is limited by resources. People make contributions to the economy, and the economy values these contributions in terms of money.

Those with the highest motivations, best leadership qualities, and communication abilities will be of highest value to the economy. I believe heavy marijuana use inhibits people from contributing their maximal amount.

The current price of marijuana hides the problem.. as of right now, growing marijuana in a medical marijuana state and shipping it to a non-medical marijuana state can be very lucrative.

once legalization has taken place, most of the individuals that have chosen to reallocate their efforts towards marijuana cultivation will be left without a job. The once highly sought after position of grower will be valued at zero by market participants.

If people want the current marijuana market to stay the same, the laws must stay the same as well.

rootfingers

We are living in a collective agreed upon consciousness currently pulled from 2 opposing sides. It is entirely up to you on which side you want to lend a hand. Personally, the consciousness I seek is peaceful and without fear. What of a market that is sunk? Honestly, why waste the effort to care? Nothing stays the same and everything is ever changing. Your outlook decides your outcome in this world. Please cease your campaign of finite reason, it does not apply.

Ganja baba

Veteran
drinking probably leads to some form of a narcissistic personality disorder in some up and coming young people , well its got to come from some where lol .

narcissism has also been said to be a key reason for many top dogs earning potential , lots been said in philosophical debates recently about this .

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
zbenjii, an empirical approach to study the effects of cannabis use will always be flawed from the start. why? because an empirical approach uses a mind-set that cannot quantify nor qualify the experience of cannabis use.

the experience of cannabis use is outside the realm of empirical inquiry, and to truly tackle it down, you need the tools of introspection and contemplation.

cannabis use is an art, not a science, to put it in other words.

truly intelligent people understand this; while pseudo-scientists unable to differentiate science from scientism do not.

be good

Latest posts

Latest posts