What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 Gal vs 5 Gal fabric pot yields

Raw710

Are 7 gal!!

I used the hydroton to dont let the surface dry out making watering annoyng and in an attempt to fight fungus gnat but they laughed at me.....until i introduced predatory mites

Yea the fungus gnats are really annoying! I dont see them hurting the plants to much but they are inevitable with coco, I never really had a problem with them with peat moss. Oh wow those are great looking. How often do you feed running such a big pot with coco?

gr866

Veteran
Yea the fungus gnats are really annoying! I dont see them hurting the plants to much but they are inevitable with coco, I never really had a problem with them with peat moss. Oh wow those are great looking. How often do you feed running such a big pot with coco?

I lost an entire grow to the cocksuckers. you don't see the damage until they get to a certain level in the pot. The larva feed on the roots and until there is enough damage it will not be visible to the upper part of the plant..
I used SM90, when the larva feed, the SM90 cause's them to quit feeding and they die, has something to do with the effects on their digestive system.
I did not find out about it in time and lost the grow. When I took them down and checked the coco in the pot found no living larva but the damage was done.

RobotRumble2

Raw710 that’s a good setup you got goin, great canopy management! Check out Grandmasterlevel on Ig or YouTube. His setup is similar to yours in plant counts and dimensions, and he’s been killing it since the first generation of HLG 550’s. His pot sizes are much larger but he is running soil I believe.

You can pick up a HLG550 clone from Kingbrite for $300. If I was replacing 24 1K lamps that’s the route I’d take. As Grapefruitroop stated above about the humidity is correct. I keep it around 60-70% RH until the last half of flowering I’ll set the deheuy on 55%. More humidity and more feed also.

Your plants look like you veg for a couple months. For perpetual with led’s if you can isolate the right pheno with topping and lst you can cut the veg time to 4 weeks while flipping them when they hit 15-18 inches which will finish around 30-36 inches tall allowing you and saving you a month/harvest. As FE stated in this thread a few pages earlier with these led’s you get more even and dense growth all around vs much hps grows that’ll yield a couple large colas and the rest is damn near popcorn. All in all great setup!

What LED lights are most people using these days for vegging? I'm just about to start a run and currently getting everything set up. I'm using a smaller tent though so I'm sure I don't need anything too powerful. Any suggestions?

I’d suggest Quantum Boards or COBS. An 85-100 watt driver can supply enough light for a 2x4 veg area. I use 4K spectrum QB120’s, two in series for my veg/clone/mom tent.

Raw710

What LED lights are most people using these days for vegging? I'm just about to start a run and currently getting everything set up. I'm using a smaller tent though so I'm sure I don't need anything too powerful. Any suggestions?

I believe alot of people are using HLG products. They are pretty fair priced for the quality and the technology they provide. I have never used them but thats what I have been seeing in reviews. Depends what tent size you have I believe they have 380 watt up to 650 watt...

axle2u

Hi I have been growing for a while and am conflicted which is better 3 gal or 5 gal fabric pot. There are alot of variables that come into place. Such as the growing space and either running straight coco or mixing with perlite. I know you are suppose to treat the medium like hydro but can run it like soil. So a little bit about my grow I have pretty much unlimited space but as we all know there are only a certain amount we can have. I have an irrigation system where I am able to water as much or as little as i would like. I am currently running 3 gal fabric pot with straight coco and am averaging 10 zips a plant but I know I am able to increase it to over a P with the strains I am running. So if anyone could chime in with experience or ideas about what size pot would be the best for yield I look forward to hearing. Also I am currently running Double Ended HPS but am soon switching over to LED which will make the plants not transpire as much. Again thanks for reading and if I left anything out don't hesitate to let me know so I can better your answer to the forum.

ive only been growing 3 times now
and 5 gal bags, will give you a decent yield if no issues like bugs, mold, or animals...but ive learned recently bigger IS better (outdoors) so this year in my gorilla grow im gonna upgrade 2 of my 5 gal mesh bags to 15 gal mesh bag....and let them just grow straight up, no LST (light stress training) bend plant over
ya its experimental, but from my research, you can get some big bad ass plants, the more you let the roots grow...

3 gal in my opinion is way too small...go 5 gal
then next year try a couple 15 gal mesh bags....
and you will see the difference yourself...
im no expert grower yet, but i know that much...eh pal

why mesh bag VS a plastic pot....you ask
because more research will tell you...it allows oxygen to the roots
which will grow you bigger plants...

and when it comes to yield, bigger plants = bigger yield
more pot to smoke....haha

axbot

Dr.King

Veteran
I agree on using 3 gals. Been using them for a long time now. They definitely yield just the same as 5 gals. As for gnats, anyone having troubles with them. Like I tell everyone in Oregon the easiest and cheapest way to deal with those is top dress the soil or coco then they can no longer lay eggs. Cleans em up every time. To hot to handle :hotbounce. Happy growing all.

Are 7 gal!!

I used the hydroton to dont let the surface dry out making watering annoyng and in an attempt to fight fungus gnat but they laughed at me.....until i introduced predatory mites

axle2u

I agree on using 3 gals. Been using them for a long time now. They definitely yield just the same as 5 gals. As for gnats, anyone having troubles with them. Like I tell everyone in Oregon the easiest and cheapest way to deal with those is top dress the soil or coco then they can no longer lay eggs. Cleans em up every time. To hot to handle :hotbounce. Happy growing all.

good advise pal, thanks

ax-bot.b.good

nickman

Veteran
That’s insane man...!!!... getting ten ounces a plant in a 3 gallon fabric pot...!!!...

I always hear about the high yield people get when using coco... I’ve never ran straight up coco... I’ve always done soil and don’t get anywhere near the yield you get in a three gallon pot...!!!...

I like to amend my soil so I can just give them straight up water for the entire grow... can you amend the coco like soil growing...???... I also water by hand so having to water the plants numerous times a day would also be a hassle for as well...!!!...

Maybe someday I’ll try running some straight up coco pots and see how they come out ...!!!...

Very nice bro, very nice...!!!...

axle2u

I lost an entire grow to the cocksuckers. you don't see the damage until they get to a certain level in the pot. The larva feed on the roots and until there is enough damage it will not be visible to the upper part of the plant..
I used SM90, when the larva feed, the SM90 cause's them to quit feeding and they die, has something to do with the effects on their digestive system.
I did not find out about it in time and lost the grow. When I took them down and checked the coco in the pot found no living larva but the damage was done.

i had a simular thingie, with white fly....could not get rid of the bastards at all, kept coming back, every treatment i tried...

3 big mature plants (indoor) -yield 1.5 ozs
pooched the grow entirely....lesson learned

NEVER EVER, EVER
bring in one of your outdoor plants, inside to extend growing time
it contaminates your indoor grow ops....

Legalcdn

Hate the gnats..used yellow sticky paper, grow rocks, DE, and finally mosquito dunks. Reduced number to almost zero..i caught them early. i was able to pull 2 plants
getting 7oz each in 3 gallon square buckets with holes in sides/bottom and fabric cloth inside bucket.

Watered once a day.

Now i will recharge the coco but add new coco and mosquito dunk water added to kill whatever gnats remained. Probably put lid with cutout also. That was my 1st coco grow. I will grow with coco as the yields are super.

I use the square plastic buckets so i can attach a portable pvc scrog screen 2x2.5ft. Never tried it but i believe it will work.

Happy growing.

Roadblock

Talking of Gnats I just had a major battle with them and lost a grow and also infected the next cuttings, they didnt just appear I let them in with poor intake filtration.

So all you guys with Gnats how did they get in, and how sealed are your rooms for the outside .

Alucard666

Iv pulled 5-10oz from 3 gal fabric pots…..now I pull 1.25-2.5lb from 6 gal hard pots
5FF091CD-DBF0-4D9D-B3D4-ED4A9DA56424.jpeg

Attachments

• 5FF091CD-DBF0-4D9D-B3D4-ED4A9DA56424.jpeg
    5FF091CD-DBF0-4D9D-B3D4-ED4A9DA56424.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 376

Three Berries

H2o2 in your rez will kill them off

I use Mosquito Bits (BT) in almost ever nute mix. Very rarely see a small fly. Nothing like when using sticky traps.

I use plastic pails. Use to use a 2 gallon one but they get too small an end up root bound but did need to water twice a day in summer at the end, kind of nice. I found a 3.5 gallon bucket that is the same diameter as a 5 gallon one but shorter. Gone through one grow with them. I don't like starting off with a big pot and now go pint>2 gallon>3.5 gal. Still in winter here I am only watering the 3.5 gal pot once every three days at half way through flower.

Alucard666

How is that working out for you ?

I had biblical proportion fungus gnat infestation….I was in cloth pots and because I was in experienced and thought I knew everything…..my 50 gal rez was in the got damn 70-80s lol…… cringe…..my cloths had every fungus known to man on them….from dogs vomit to pythium….the gnats exploded……I was also having root rot every grow…. Because of the reservoir temperatures obviously…..started running 4ml 39% h2o2 per gal in my rez…..first feeding and I saw literally cups at a time globs of clear slime dump out of every cloth pot…..within 10 days after that I went from seeing 1000s to zero…..iv since gotten better and smarter (ish) and got myself a water chiller that stays at 64f………I still run h2o2 for root oxygen and as a safe guard….. my thought process on that is, why send millions of soldiers to fight other millions of soldiers when you can just send one tactical nuke and wipe out a whole grid squares………however………I have springtails every grow now….them things are tough boy let me tell ya……iv ran 3% total solution strength h2o2 for 1hr soak and them bastards didn’t even care one bit….after some digging around, iv found that they only eat rot….so they clean up the root mass while simultaneously creating microbes which I neutralize with the H2O2 anyway so they really just keep the roots clean….I’m talking 10’s of thousands EASY per pot….they jump when they get flooded that’s how you know their spring tails…..I also suspect they eat fungus gnat larva and have called every Mother Earth coco bag home for the last few years…..I welcome spring tails…..