What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trouble with citrus seedling

Planted three seeds from a lemon, just got my fifth seedling emerge from these three yesterday!

These three are the oldest. They all are getting what I give my kids for veg, and one of them is having a problem that is progressing and worsening

Attachments

• 96EAAF9C-C742-40BE-9953-6CEFD2F32FB0.jpg
    96EAAF9C-C742-40BE-9953-6CEFD2F32FB0.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 9F47C3EC-60BF-48E5-A16A-298469C025E0.jpg
    9F47C3EC-60BF-48E5-A16A-298469C025E0.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 5CD5F35C-9903-4FBD-971E-EAEBA751EB45.jpg
    5CD5F35C-9903-4FBD-971E-EAEBA751EB45.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 60

Breadwizard

Citrus needs far less fert than our beloved cannabis plants, looks like nutrients burn to me. I'd suggest picking up some "palm, cactus, citrus" soil, should be at any garden place, and only pure water until they are a few months old.

Update: there is only one left alive. Most of the ones from the pic died weeks later I neglected my room entirely and the only one the survived was the one I had in one gal soil. I didn’t water her for like two months. Finally did and gave her a hit of whatever veg nutes I was using at the time half strength and she immediately began to grow and I have been doing great with her since. I finally got my hps back and running, and I have my ventilation set up and it’s still too hot but I’m working on diy swamp coolers and other solutions. But while the cannabis seedlings hate the heat, this plant here, loves it! She is in heaven right now lol. Took her out for a while today, going to let her grow another leaf or two before I transplant.

Attachments

• DF959267-C518-4357-A846-969BD4E115C7.jpg
    DF959267-C518-4357-A846-969BD4E115C7.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 8BBD5EBD-9E9F-42A7-BDF8-95EE79AD0119.jpg
    8BBD5EBD-9E9F-42A7-BDF8-95EE79AD0119.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 57
Most citrus are clones, grafted onto various rootstocks to produce dwarf, semidwarf and standard size trees. They do not reproduce true to type from seed. Will be interesting to see what you get. Rootstock I believe is usually some sort of lemon. It may have some pretty fierce spines eventually.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have a lemon and a lime tree that i bought as a plant 12/15years ago - they are well tended, taken in for the winter , into my greenhouse room, brought back out in may- neither have ever/ever had a flower - not sure what i am doing wrong, as the plants are healthy as shit, just never flower

meantime i bought a meyer lemon from qvc this spring, and the sucker has flowered and i have 1/2 dozen small/small meyer lemons, that are getting bigger...

same care is given to all the plants... diff results...

Breadwizard

This depends on the variety. Oranges are surprisingly true to seed, due to thier polyembryonic nature, as are lemons and key limes.

Rootstock varieties depends on the local citraculture, everyone used to use sour orange, but it is prone to a few key deseases, and isn't used much anymore. Trifolate crosses are used often nowadays, along with cuban shaddock which is a citron/pomelo cross.

It is true though that even true to seed varieties are usually grafted, as it takes up to 15 years from seed to bear fruit, on likely a huge tree, and is only three years or so for grafted trees, on a much smaller frame.

Most citrus are clones, grafted onto various rootstocks to produce dwarf, semidwarf and standard size trees. They do not reproduce true to type from seed. Will be interesting to see what you get. Rootstock I believe is usually some sort of lemon. It may have some pretty fierce spines eventually.

Breadwizard, Do the sour oranges and cuban shaddock have spines?, I've encountered a number of citrus trees (lemons and oranges if I recall correctly) that would sprout from below the graft, the sprouts having larger spines than the grafted portion.

Breadwizard

Almost all citrus have spines from seedling, it's an early defense mechanism for the plants to discourage animals from eating them. As the plants get established, some lose their spines on new growth, some keep them. With grafted plants the actual "age" is the age of the scion stock, so is less spiny.

That said, rootstock varieties are typically spinier than commercial citrus varieties, with the exception of key lime and some other sour citrises like yuzu, which are always crazy spiny.

Breadwizard, Do the sour oranges and cuban shaddock have spines?, I've encountered a number of citrus trees (lemons and oranges if I recall correctly) that would sprout from below the graft, the sprouts having larger spines than the grafted portion.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have some big mango pits that I was thinking about planting.

Plant em! You do know how big they'll grow? Huge-a
They can take a long long time too. I have an Philippines golden mango like these: https://themixedculture.com/2013/11/07/philippines-manila-mango/ that I, we planted 10 years ago.........that's a long time. Way better than the red green ones we have everywhere here. But low and behold it's showing a huge amount of white blossoms right this very second and that should mean mangoes this year! :tiphat:

Gry

Manilla Honey was the name I knew them by, and they are a delight. Love hearing of the citrus, and the story' of how and why it came to be as it is. Neat and amazing history. Had a massive Myers lemon next door that was just cut down, lemons the size of grape fruit that were amazing in taste and flavor. Always wanted to have a key lime that was in a container that I could take with me when I moved. I got attached to the Myers lemons, and when that
tree when down, I started using Key limes instead, and have become very attached too the flavor and taste they do lend to iced tea.
Interesting story on the Mafia's ties to citrus :

The big squeeze

Sicily’s mafia sprang from the growing global market for lemons – a tale with sour parallels for consumers today
https://aeon.co/essays/how-a-growing-market-for-citrus-fruit-spawned-the-mafia