What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the best pot size for coco??

jmk18

Hi I was just reading another thread and they brought up pot size. So I am wondering what is the best pot size that you use and why? I currently use 2 or 3 gallon pots

HarvestMoon303

First, it's going to depend on the size of the plant.

That being said, it's amazing what a 1 gal smart pot (fabric) will be able to produce if you're able to keep it watered. I have a few males that are about 4ft tall, and very healthy (middle of flower), all in 1 gals. I pull a fan off today that was about 11 inches across. They kind of look funny, and they can tip, but it works.

I've also grown some really big coco plants in solo cups, to the point that they would tip over on a pretty regular basis. I had about 2ft plants in solo cups (they eventually were upgraded). :)

Best!
HM

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Ive got half pound trees out of 2gal fabric pots. One was a gg4 vegged six weeks and fed 4x a day through flower, she was five foot tall

Croweater

I'm going against the trend on this forum and say ime bigger is better we have used everything from 55gal pots to 2 gal. It seems bigger pots have less issues with salt build up. Rule of thumb I follow now is 15gals of mediumevery elbow I'm shooting for with 2\light. That's with coco/perl 60/40

Croweater

ive had many 25gal pots root bound in twelve week veg. I guess it depends on veg time ive always done flip rooms with trees

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
plant size & veg time is the main contributing factor in sizing your pots of coco . if you figure that each gallon of coco will give you 3 oz (minimum ) of bud (strain & veg time dependant of course ) that 3 zips per gallon is a pretty good starting point to figure out what size pots of coco to use .
i use 3 gallon pots with a month or more veg & shoot for half pound plants .

Gry

What Dansbuds says rings true to me. I cut the top off containers I get cat litter in. Guess they are about 3 gallons or so. Found these little white plastic trays for them to sit in maybe 4 inches deep - works great. Use pool toys I found at the dollar store to collect the runoff. Simple cheap and easy.

Croweater

anything less than 20 gal pots and my yield goes to shit haha
been growing monsters so long growing little 2 pounders is tough

this was a experiment we did 55gal tub from clone 18 wk veg 5k and a couple onions short of 10 bows

Attachments

• 152121.jpg
    152121.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 1212121.jpg
    1212121.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 107
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 113

Croweater

that was a 9x9 room. we tried it in a 25gal and failed miserably.
god that was a long time ago I was young and dumb look at the cord on the ground next to the water haha stupid

N

noyd666

i'v gone from 9l =2g into 25l=6gal tree's , much better looking plant and reduced number , less work suits me at moment. 2gal transplant into 6gal gets topped up with recovered coco. 5 to over 6ft.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I went from 20g soil, to 10g coco. Same plant numbers, same dialed room, better dialed nutes, and my yield dropped and flat lined 3 runs in a row. I moved up to 15g coco, dtw, 3-4 feedings/day, 6 to 8 week veg. Goal is 12.5oz plants as a minimum. I run 1.8 plants per light.

There is no easy answer, without knowing your space, environment, plant numbers, and most of all your goals.

mackdx

I run 3 gal smart pots and typically pull 6-8 Oz per plant in SCROG. I have let some plants get a little out of control in the past (too big for SCROG setup) and have pulled as much as 14oz (dried) from a single plant. The variable seems to be veg time more than pot size IMO

Gramse

I run 3 gal smart pots and typically pull 6-8 Oz per plant in SCROG. I have let some plants get a little out of control in the past (too big for SCROG setup) and have pulled as much as 14oz (dried) from a single plant. The variable seems to be veg time more than pot size IMO

Agree with you

doob

Veg time and feed frequency are the variables for optimum, but you would normally have to factor in plant count and grow area you have