What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So my DNA indicates i have a higher chance of cannabis dependence......

Long story short I did a DNA test through Ancestry DNA. You can download your raw DNA file and other companies offer services for you to upload your DNA file and they can tell you things like bout your health (if you are genetically at high risk for specific diseases etc). I paid $12 for promethease.com to analyze my DNA file and this is one of the results. I know nothing about this kinda stuff I just thought it was interesting.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cannabis dependence.jpg
    cannabis dependence.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 22

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well, I wonder what they can do with the DNA data without your knowledge.

St. Phatty

Sounds like a compliment - probably.

Accuracy of digital instrumentation biotech is probably highly over-rated. Might be OK. They might actually be able to match complex DNA strands with 99.9999% reliability, like in the movies.

The medical part of American biotech is built on falsified clinical trial results.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Aren't most of those ancestry and DNA analysis companies owed by the Mormons? It freaks me out that someone else can own the blueprints to me.

insomniac_AU

There are a lot worse things to be dependent on. I wouldn't let it worry you. I'm dependent on cannabis, it enriches my life. Why wouldn't I depend on that?

igrowone

Veteran
curious about the 'science' here, if there is any
there ought to be published clinical studies that show a correlation/causality
gaze duration for happy faces doesn't sound likely to be part of such studies

rolandomota

The pigs can use this info to see if you or anyone in your immediate family match a DNA profile for crimes or unidentified bodies. They already caught a few serial killers probably a few rape suspects aswell

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder how reliable the data sets are...

Is there anybody that is NOT linked to some sort of Royalty in their past (according to these sites)? It seems everybody has royalty in their blood from the little I have seen.

It's an inbreed world out there folks!

St. Phatty

One of my neighbors is psycho about shooting animals that go on his land, and has already spent 10 years embroiled in a feud with another neighbor - they shot each other's dogs.

So one of the psycho neighbors threatened to shoot my cat.

At the same time, my cat HATES-HATES water.

And he doesn't like being indoors all the time.

I just gave him the back door open - and he stared at it and went back inside.

Anyway, in this 'city' (environment, situation) the cat's hatred of water helps protect his life.

I can let him have another crack at being outdoors to roam around in a wet forest. So he will be happy but it is very unlikely he will go very far before sitting with the girl cat under one of the decks.

I think what the program means basically is that some programmer needed a job, and was hired by a health care company that may have wanted to push a particular agenda in the program that does the database. And the program they wrote created the print-out about you.

Steve Jobs was pre-disposed to Cannabis use. Possibly more so by being adopted. Didn't hurt him.

You could even put it on your resume and apply to one or more of the cannabis companies - purely as an experiment - and see if they offer you a vice presidency.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Any genetic issue which is treatable with cannabis should trigger this line item to appear on your report. Cannabis use in these instances has probably been more tracked than not. If they're doing their research properly, this would be a strong reason for it to be included.

Mengsk

St. Phatty is correct. You aren't likely to hear from a proponent on here. Reading DNA is one thing. That is possible to match or compare. But it doesn't read itself. Or there is no story to the DNA just a blueprint.

When you have a result pop up like that it means as St. Phatty said someone wrote an agenda targeted at people including you. Another description is there was a study published with that 1 DNA pinpoint letter. Some people might have an A or T or C or G at one specific location. But most of the time it doesn't mean anything it is normal in my opinion. It is also an opportunity for a company to sell you something or convince you of an agenda, including their story of your ancestry and "markers" of negative things like shorter life expectancy.

Check how many of those genetic results give you a compliment instead of saying you will have heart disease or you will drink too much etc. There is no comprehensive guide or anything. Only isolated reports of what certain places choose to put out. Any of the results that pop up in your report only mean, or are references to, studies that universities and pharmaceutical companies have published. There is no long term final answer on genetic predisposition in the general sense. Only a few known examples such as Down Syndrome.

To issue you a report that your genes are altered or flawed or different from anyone else is more or less used as a scare tactic. You can check the number and there is probably one study of cannabis users, maybe more or maybe the study isn't about cannabis. Using DNA for child/sibling testing or crime scenes is one thing because it is possible to match people or parents/siblings. Beyond that however I would have no problems calling it snake oil or psychology or a sales pitch glorified fortune teller.

Edit: One of the first reports is looking at youth who have gone through the criminal justice system. So no don't believe this. You can choose to believe however much science you wish but instead of trying to give a genetics lecture I'll just leave you with: don't trust these things always. It is nice to think someone wants to help you, but don't trust sources looking to genetically profile you. It can go one of two ways. Racial profiling and police. Now genetic profiling. It doesn't have to even be true or correct it can just be a book of illegitimate lies. So now instead of color of your skin you get a tag a DNA tag. I don't know too many poor or middle class people working in or benefiting from genetic testing. Beware of a simple money racket or worse.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

attachment.php

There's a scene in the movie Prometheus where they compare the sample Alien Humanoid Giant to human DNA to get a match.

That shows a level of sophistication that I don't doubt exists, or will exist.

I have seen some of the most crooked parts of the American medical industry. However look what happens when a rigorous scientific method is applied to Silicon or Gallium Arsenide, whatever they're using - we get 32 core processors that actually work, and RF chips that put an entire repeater of 30 years ago mostly on one piece of GaAs - and it fucking works !

I know when the same rigorous method is applied to biological sciences, good and interesting things happen.

Not all of the American life sciences industry is built on falsified clinical results.

Attachments

• prometh2.jpg
    prometh2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
W

Water-

Long story short I did a DNA test through Ancestry DNA. You can download your raw DNA file and other companies offer services for you to upload your DNA file and they can tell you things like bout your health (if you are genetically at high risk for specific diseases etc). I paid $12 for promethease.com to analyze my DNA file and this is one of the results. I know nothing about this kinda stuff I just thought it was interesting.

View Image

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/1268

"This gene encodes one of two cannabinoid receptors. The cannabinoids, principally delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and synthetic analogs, are psychoactive ingredients of marijuana. The cannabinoid receptors are members of the guanine-nucleotide-binding protein (G-protein) coupled receptor family, which inhibit adenylate cyclase activity in a dose-dependent, stereoselective and pertussis toxin-sensitive manner. The two receptors have been found to be involved in the cannabinoid-induced CNS effects (including alterations in mood and cognition) experienced by users of marijuana. Multiple transcript variants encoding two different protein isoforms have been described for this gene."

It is real.

Humans and Cannabis have coexisted for a least a million years.

It will propably end up being shown to be something we picked up from Neandertals.

If you are interested in a more precise breakdown of your ancestoral DNA than there is a site called GEDMATCH that is free and all you have to do is downlaod your already available info. and you can learn some extremly interesting things about your genetic past.

@shithawk420
Your dad is someone correct.
About 5000 years ago, people from the Russian steppe swept across Europe and replaced 90% of the male gene pool in the north. So your male ancetsors did most likely come from that direction.
...from south east asia 50,000 years ago...

for those speaking about privacy or what they could do with the data let me help you understand why i am not concerned. I provided no real information about me when doing the test with ancestry or to this site. They have DNA but they have no idea who's DNA it is they are looking at.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/1268

"This gene encodes one of two cannabinoid receptors. The cannabinoids, principally delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and synthetic analogs, are psychoactive ingredients of marijuana. The cannabinoid receptors are members of the guanine-nucleotide-binding protein (G-protein) coupled receptor family, which inhibit adenylate cyclase activity in a dose-dependent, stereoselective and pertussis toxin-sensitive manner. The two receptors have been found to be involved in the cannabinoid-induced CNS effects (including alterations in mood and cognition) experienced by users of marijuana. Multiple transcript variants encoding two different protein isoforms have been described for this gene."

It is real.

Humans and Cannabis have coexisted for a least a million years.

It will propably end up being shown to be something we picked up from Neandertals.

If you are interested in a more precise breakdown of your ancestoral DNA than there is a site called GEDMATCH that is free and all you have to do is downlaod your already available info. and you can learn some extremly interesting things about your genetic past.

@shithawk420
Your dad is someone correct.
About 5000 years ago, people from the Russian steppe swept across Europe and replaced 90% of the male gene pool in the north. So your male ancetsors did most likely come from that direction.
...from south east asia 50,000 years ago...

yep, I did gedmatch already. I don't understand it much but I got my dna there and some relatives I've found via my DNA helped me set it up so we could confirm our relationship.