What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Autoflowering. Any tips?

Nexus7

I normally do photos but due to certain circumstances I've decided to give Autos a try. Just looking for some basic grow tips.

I got some free auto beans. They are f2's of Robert Bergmans/ILoveGrowingMarijuana - White Widow Auto (fem). Which may be based off Greenhouse seeds White Widow or White Widow auto.

I actually got to sample some of the original buds (not the f2) and it wasn't half bad. Pretty decent actually. The guy said he got around 1oz off his plant.

Any way I was just wondering roughly how long Autos usually take from sow to harvest and what kind of yield I can expect to get? Also how should I go about feeding using grow/bloom type nutes? Any other tips or things to look out for?

I plan to be growing outdoors in a 20-25L pot using Canna terra pro medium and Canna bio nutes.

N7

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Generally autos from seedling to harvest are anywhere between 70-85 days, 'super' autos being larger can take 85-110 days.

Indoors, do 18/6, 20/4. Wait until good warm weather planting outside. For us, that is April-May and can run until Oct, Northern Hemisphere. Other areas...Canada, upper USA, wait until May.

I've seen growers get a few zips and others (same genetics) reap a 'bud on a stick', only a few grams, either indoors or outside.

Depending on environment, light, medium, etc. Go light on bloom nutes, don't over water. Plant in same vessel when starting...transplanting, if not done properly, stunts them. Roots like deep pocket. 20-25L sounds ample. South side for maximum sun exposure.

Good luck!

Nexus7

Thanks guys. I'll be growing outdoors so photoperiod is a bit out of my hands.

With the transplanting I plan on starting then in a small seeding pot then transplanting into the 20-25L pot once I see some roots at the base of the pot.

What should I look out for? Should I transplant them earlier than I normally do or just make sure I disturb the roots and soil at the base of the pot prior to transplanting?

I also found a nice thread with some more basic info here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341388

N7

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Limiting their root space will impact their final size and yield. Transplanting results in a bud on a stick, IME.

As Arid mentioned, plant in the container you plan on flowering in so that roots can grow unencumbered. And remember to water smaller amounts at first.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Limiting their root space will impact their final size and yield. Transplanting results in a bud on a stick, IME.

As Arid mentioned, plant in the container you plan on flowering in so that roots can grow unencumbered. And remember to water smaller amounts at first.

Bingo! 24/0...autos need time to rest before next surge. There's no appreciable benefit (indoors)to 24/0 given that autos have a limited time to grow & prosper. 20/4, 18/6. A lot of myths out there...24/0. We've done side-by-side comparisons, same strain, everything exact. It's a waste of utilities 24/0.

Outdoors in other areas where sunlight 24/0....it's temporary and uncontrollable.

Right you are N7...Cvh has it all mapped out.....follow it and you'll enjoy some fine smoke once harvested.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Bingo! 24/0...autos need time to rest before next surge. There's no appreciable benefit (indoors)to 24/0 given that autos have a limited time to grow & prosper. 20/4, 18/6. A lot of myths out there...24/0. We've done side-by-side comparisons, same strain, everything exact. It's a waste of utilities 24/0.

Outdoors in other areas where sunlight 24/0....it's temporary and uncontrollable.

Right you are N7...Cvh has it all mapped out.....follow it and you'll enjoy some fine smoke once harvested.
Bingo! :) Growing autos is a waste of utilities, although they have their place in micro grows I suppose.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agreed, Switcher...autos are a niche market. How many photos can you successive plant (planting at intervals) to reap medicine or early crop while photoperiods are still in the vegg stage? Photos need to be on light regimen, whereras autos do their thing being ruderallis.

To each their own. Those wanting low profile or quick finishing, quick medicine....autos fit those parameters.

We have multitude of customers growing autos in their photoperiod tent and enjoy quality smoke once lights are @ 12/12. Super autos, we have several beyond 4ft+ height, not optimal for micro grows. Most are between 18"-30"...you can do a lot with LST. ;o)

Nexus7

Interesting idea!

Normally after transplanting from my seedling pot into the final container I would initially saturate all the medium and not water for a week or more and let the roots chase the moisture down below as the uppermost parts dry out and then water again with a little run-off when the pot feels light.

So I should only water a little at the centre of the pot where I planted my seed essentially leaving the outer edges and lower parts of the medium dry?

And increase progressively as the plant gets bigger until I can water the whole pot with a little run off?

N7

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Interesting idea!

Normally after transplanting from my seedling pot into the final container I would initially saturate all the medium and not water for a week or more and let the roots chase the moisture down below as the uppermost parts dry out and then water again with a little run-off when the pot feels light.

So I should only water a little at the centre of the pot where I planted my seed essentially leaving the outer edges and lower parts of the medium dry?

And increase progressively as the plant gets bigger until I can water the whole pot with a little run off?

N7
Absolutely :)

DTOM420

There are a lot of myths about autoflower. I haven’t been back to growing really long but I’ve brought in two outdoor auto crops now and I have some going indoors now. There are some tricks to growing them to maximize their potential and I think that a lot of great photo growers who didn’t care for or realize the nuances to growing them got frustrated and just started bad-mouthing them. Thankfully, I found a forum that specializes in them and learned some great ways to account for those nuances and I’ve really been enjoying them. I’m certainly not ‘there’ yet, myself, but I’ve watched some guys getting some incredible yields for the short grow time. I love being able to sample so many strains because it only takes 2-3 months for each cycle.

Autos can be sensitive to transplant and other stresses. So, starting seeds in their final pot or in Root Riot (or similar starting cubes) that then go into their final pot will help you make the most of your autos. There’s also a technique called the “instatransplant pot” technique that you can find by Googling it and attaching the word “autoflower” to your search query. When I learn how to post pictures on here I’ll do a how-to thread on making and using them. They’re a way to start a seed in a cheap 6” pot (actually 2of them - one with huge slits and the bottom cut out-inside the other) and then just drop the pot into the final pot at around 2 weeks with ZERO disruption/shock.

Topping can be done without shock if you follow these 3 rules absolutely: 1) Top above the 4th node 2) Top between day 14 and day 20 after they emerge. Not one day earlier or after. 3) Only top once! This was discovered by a guy known as AutoBeast in the UK that has done loads of research and trials and has achieved some incredible results with autos. Somehow, he figured out this window and everyone I know that’s tried his methods has had similar results. However these windows of opportunity are small and defined and even a day off can result in some stunting/shock. A stressor on a plant that will be growing for 5+ months is no big deal (it has plenty of time to recover) but a plant that may be finished 65 days after it emerged from the soil can’t really afford a setback. Proportionately, a setback for an auto is much more significant.

Proper LST is essential if you don’t want a “bud on a stick, as someone put it. Even my first grow, that I only used LST (and I was pretty ham-fisted at it! Lol) produced multiple colas on each plant.

Genetics, genetics, genetics! Lol! Not all autoflowers are the same. So far, my favorite auto (hands-down) has been Paul’s Super Dense from New420Guy seeds. This heavily branched indica hybrid finishes in 65-75 days. For me, it finished between 65 and 70 days with about 30% Amber trichs by day 70. It grew tons of strong branches that made training easy and produced really dense buds. It was as easy to grow as ANY plant I’ve ever grown. His Crystal Aurora Auto was pretty good as well. I’ve also done well with Dutch Passion and Dinafem genetics. Some other breeders/strains not so much - they either didn’t respond well to training or stunted as a result or just had problems. They were generally ‘cheaper’ seeds (like ILGM) but price isnt everything...New420Guy is the least expensive breeder I’ve seen anywhere and I’ve had nothing but fantastic experiences with his genetics and with dealing with him!

I’m definitely not an auto-only guy - I still love my photos; but autos definitely play a significant role in my growing. They are getting better and better every day and the ability to get a harvest in as little as 60 days is pretty amazing! Are they more expensive to start and is not being able to clone (as of now) a shortcoming in some ways? Sure. However, do they also have some advantages over photos in other scenarios? I say, “ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!!”

Sorry for such a long post. Happy growing!

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
what you say dependz on genetics dtom, not all autos can be topped fimmed. not done properly, it'll stunt em. lst proven way to grow, eazy to do andless stress.

you bein a newbie, everyone haz an opinion and like commercialz say, results not typical.
we've seen otherz blowin in to claim to be the best. itz all good some better than otherz.

you say new guys has the cheapesyt seedz? well, you haven't met arid and afterthought crew. on a few sites, their buy 1 get 1 can't be beat. righteous smoke.

an arids direct sale goin on now- about $1.72 per seed. pm fer detailz. they were almost that when seedbay had their beanz when I 1st bought em 4 yrz back. and I've tried a lot of theirz, otherz too. i beg to differ- afterthought haz some one of a kind beanz

maybe new kid on the block is best thing since sliced bread. who knowz- they aint here to say. so i say welcome but respect thoze bein in the game fer a decade or more and bein on here fer yrs

where new guyz - are they helping out vets grow programz, donating to cancer patients, offering gr8 advice to those forumz, helping otherz grow their best autoz- nope, bet not.

Nexus7

@DTOM420

Thanks for the grow tips. In the end I failed to heed others advice and just stuck with what I know ...

If I get "bud on a stick" so be it. There's a good chance I might have to bin my grow part way through in any case. So a good chance to have a bit of fun and learn from my mistakes in this run.

Anyway seeds were sown on the 9th and two weeks later she's just starting her second set of true leaves, so pretty slow going ...

Her roots hit the bottom of the seedling pot pretty quick but is in a bigger pot now. The weather has been cool and wet but just starting to warm up a bit now so hopefully will start to get some decent growth now.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Nexus-7
I PM'd cvh to repost his awesome time line regarding autos....best info out there.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341388

@ pumpkin pie eyes- Thanks for the kudos.
Your are right, we've seen others blast in here with new breeder and tips that may or may not work for inexperienced growers. I try my best to give them the best info to ensure awesome results. And yes, we give back to the community, assisting those in need of quality medicine. Appreciate your mention.

And quite correct, genetics do play an important part in autos, and how they are treated. Easily stressed, you have to have good root space, optimal environment indoors and out.

And oh yeah, the direct sales, going great! Thanks again. ;o)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts