What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing in cougar country

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
The back facing mask on India's woodcutters is for real. Get a Halloween mask, with eyes.

You can tell a cougar killed deer skeleton by the killing bite to the back of the skull.
A friend of a relative was attacked. He'd stopped to work on his mountain bike. He saw the cat. It jumped him when he reduced his visual profile by bending down to pick up a rock to throw. The cat had him but kept delivering the killing bite to his cycling helmet. He was able to smack it up the side of the head with a rock and get away.

The back facing mask on India's woodcutters is for real. Get a Halloween mask, with eyes.

You can tell a cougar killed deer skeleton by the killing bite to the back of the skull.
A friend of a relative was attacked. He'd stopped to work on his mountain bike. He saw the cat. It jumped him when he reduced his visual profile by bending down to pick up a rock to throw. The cat had him but kept delivering the killing bite to his cycling helmet. He was able to smack it up the side of the head with a rock and get away.

man.. all these stories. I don't want to act like a tough fuck but dam. If I get attacked I gotta use some serious skill. Is it even possible to use my brazillian jiu jitsu?

I really want a real gun.. but I would need to take a test.. and I fail at tests and I don't have the budget to buy the gun.

Honestly I would rather lure in a young lion feed it give it some weed make buddy buddies with it then having it following me stalking me and me being paranoid..

I think you may be a cop who's trollin on my dollar

You own the site? and if I was a cop would I post a picture like this..

526411_351306821571086_133646306670473_912841_738662127_n.jpg

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Kimber .45 ACP....

to cougar " make my day punk..." if i have to use lethal force to defend myself from wildlife, im doing it in style..

sometimes i dont carry my gun while on the ATV..i wonder if the cougar would attack someone on an ATV that would be wild...hoping the loud engines scare them off..

Kimber .45 ACP....

to cougar " make my day punk..." if i have to use lethal force to defend myself from wildlife, im doing it in style..

sometimes i dont carry my gun while on the ATV..i wonder if the cougar would attack someone on an ATV that would be wild...hoping the loud engines scare them off..

yea the loud noise does.. I remember as a kid we use to drive up to the dump where there is hundreds seriously of black bears it was so funny they would all run away from the garbage then we'd leave they would come back and we would do it again fun times.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're miles ahead just by realizing you are not at the top of the food chain, many don't. Seriously don't fuck with a cougar. This is your life you're talking about. Bring a gun and pepper spray. Make sure you have a phone with an emergency contact on speed dial in case needed. Shoot to kill, they are tough critters.

dragunn

i doubt the mask on the back of your head will work on a mountain lion.i would worry more about a snake.since 8,000 people get bite a year.and only six die.

from 1911 till now,over 16,000 people where killed from tigers in india.

these five guys where going down river in a dug out.a tiger swims out and picks them off one bye one.grabs one,swim to shore,swim back out,gets another one.tigers can swim and dug outs are slow.

this was back when there where 100,000+ tigers,now 3,000.more tigers in the u.s.a. now.

Mia

Your chances of seeing a cougar, let alone being attacked by one are very very slim. They are fairly picky eaters. Pretty much every attack I have ever heard of of a cougar on a human was out of some form of desperation be it sickness, starvation, juveniles etc.
They hunt dusk/dawn so if you want to cut your chances even more don't be hiking around those hours. I won't lie though I think about it too when I'm out hiking by myself. I've seen a few and quite a few tracks.
When I lived in the mountains up on the humboldt/trinity border off 299 I was living in a tent on my own little flat in the middle of nowhere. At night I started hearing these screams that the best I can describe sounded like a child screaming but not quite human. Took me a minute to figure it out, but it was a cougar prowling right around me. The thing was literally five, ten feet from my tent and it would stick around and scream for awhile. This happened many, many nights. That was kind of freaky. I stayed in my tent.
No bigfoot stories though heard quite a few from the locals.

Madjag

Veteran
Mountain Lion Statistics

Mountain Lion Statistics

A wonderful Hindu Yogi, Hari Dass Baba, has a saying:
Snakes know heart.

What he means is that you want to work toward being peaceful with all creatures because even those we might fear, snakes, know what's truly in your heart. It's natural to be afraid at times or to be anxious in unexpected wildlife meetings, however you should cleanse your heart of anger or intentional hurt toward nature's citizens.

I love true wildlife experiences and have dozens myself. Last week I saw a mother black bear and her 1st year cub. They recently must have come out of hibernation and were hanging out on a very remote Jeep trail. Did you know that the record black bear in the US came from Arizona?

Arizona has the second largest population of cougars in the US after California and perhaps an even denser concentration statewide. The Cali estimate is around 4,500 lions and Arizona's cat population estimate is about 3,000. The Santa Theresa mountains near Klondyke and the east side of Aravaipa Canyon have one of the highest concentrations of lions anywhere, something like one lion per 18 square miles. Plenty of prey and perennial water sources. In low, Sonoran desert their concentration may be as spread out as one lion per 100 square miles due to lack of enough prey and serious survival water issues.

I have grown weed for many years in some wild lion country and hiked and camped all over Arizona for 40+ years. I've seen only one mountain lion and heard two others (female lions can make a sound like a woman shrieking loudly: caterwauling). Our Madjag label and namesake comes from the fact that Arizona also has jaguars historically and they make mountain lions look like kittens. The 1990's book, Eyes of Fire, is a nice little account of rancher Warner Glenn's meeting with the first wild jaguar photographed in the USA. When you see one of these jaguar males you realize you'd never see them coming and all that you'd hear would be the last sound you'd ever hear. Hey, that's life......and sometimes death too. Mountain lions are of course much, much more common, however they represent a fear of power in the natural world in much the same way as toward big cats worldwide.

The lion stories from hunters, hikers, campers, and ranchers are myriad and some border on goofy. Actual accounts that have more than one witness interest me the most and I've talked to quite a few folks who had a spine chilling moment here and there. One friend was climbing between some Volkswagen bus-sized boulders in a nearby canyon and just caught a glimpse of a lion exchanging places between two giant boulders. My friend went in and the lion went up, over, and out. He described it as a ghostlike figure.

Go here for a real nice summary by a dedicated cougar researcher:
http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html#summary

Less than 25 or so verified deaths by cougars in the USA have been recorded in the last 100 years. Over 300 human deaths caused by dogs have been verified in the last 30 years.

Put in perspective, if you do have a lion attack you, you are a lottery winner in disguise. I personally know a lady who was struck by lightning yet I have never met anyone who was attacked by a lion in spite of the many accounts of meeting one or being followed by one like another friend and his kids in Sedona 20 years ago experienced.

I know that lions have watched me over the years based upon the hundreds of days that I have been hiking, camping, and living in their country. I have seen dozens of hefty cat tracks in the dirt and mud along creeks, rivers, and dirt tanks. Still, no visuals hardly at all.

Some Native American tribes believe that we all have animals that we are attracted to and vice versa because of some karma from beyond. Some people believe in Totem animals, too.

May your energy be peacefully in tune with those that call the earth their home be it two-legged, four-legged, burrowing, slithering, swimming, flying, digging, or jumping.

When I lived in the mountains up on the humboldt/trinity border off 299 I was living in a tent on my own little flat in the middle of nowhere. At night I started hearing these screams that the best I can describe sounded like a child screaming but not quite human. Took me a minute to figure it out, but it was a cougar prowling right around me. The thing was literally five, ten feet from my tent and it would stick around and scream for awhile.

Yes I have had that experience; walking throught the bush you don't have much chance of seeing them; they will hear or smell you before you get close enough to see them.
But if you camp in a spot for a while they will soon come around your tent and check you out. I have heard one screaming on one occasion; sounded like a woman being murdered off in the bush. That one padded back and forth in an arc near my tent, getting closer and closer. I had to keep getting up in the night and throwing sticks and stones at it to keep it at bay.
But usually they just come by your tent, pad around for a couple of minutes to see what this new thing is that has appeared in their territory and then wander off.
Once I had a bough shelter built above my tent to keep the sun off and one night a puma jumped up on it and crouched there for a few minutes.
Oh and by the way, Puma, Cougar, Mountain Lion, all the same animal.
The funny thing is I live in a country where they are not native to; the ones here escaped from private zoo's ect. and bred up out in the forest.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
TheNamesCYRUS, oops, I mean knowwhatimsayin, with your five new posts here, I thought you were banned? If you come back at least write something worth reading. Thanks for getting others to contribute interesting stuff though.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Kimber .45 ACP....

love me any 1911 from Kimber. Just sold a CDP, was a fav.
Still have dan browns though. =)

Just carry a big stick, something like a stave; you could probably fend it off with that.
Also it would make you look bigger,and like you had long horns or something to a cougar.
Main thing is if you are lucky enough to see a cougar, DONT RUN!!!
Don't act like their prey does, act like you are the top of the food chain in the forest and you eat cougar ass for breakfast.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Yes I have had that experience; walking throught the bush you don't have much chance of seeing them; they will hear or smell you before you get close enough to see them.
But if you camp in a spot for a while they will soon come around your tent and check you out. I have heard one screaming on one occasion; sounded like a woman being murdered off in the bush. That one padded back and forth in an arc near my tent, getting closer and closer. I had to keep getting up in the night and throwing sticks and stones at it to keep it at bay.
But usually they just come by your tent, pad around for a couple of minutes to see what this new thing is that has appeared in their territory and then wander off.
Once I had a bough shelter built above my tent to keep the sun off and one night a puma jumped up on it and crouched there for a few minutes.
Oh and by the way, Puma, Cougar, Mountain Lion, all the same animal.
The funny thing is I live in a country where they are not native to; the ones here escaped from private zoo's ect. and bred up out in the forest.

And you say that you are from ...

Australia

From Wikipedia;

Cougars in Western Australia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The premise that there were cougars in Western Australia was widely believed during the 1970s.
There are several theories as to how they were introduced. The most popular theory was that United States servicemen brought four cougar kittens to Western Australia during World War II; they eventually grew too big for captivity and were released—two at Fremantle and two at Bunbury. Another theory is that cougars escaped from a traveling circus that was involved in an accident between Bridgetown and Nannup around 1961. The circus theory has often been referenced to support the allegation that cougars were responsible for the deaths of around 2000 sheep in the Duranillin area in the late 1970s.[1]
The State Library of Western Australia's catalogue refers to the cougar story as the Cordering cougar, while the oral history record has a summary with the spelling Coedering Cougars [2]
These theories received significant attention in 1979, including numerous media mentions, and during a debate on the issue in the parliament. That year, the Agricultural Protection Board of Western Australia declared that a two-year investigation had failed to find any evidence to suggest that cougars had ever been introduced into south-west Western Australia. Nonetheless, in 1981 an A$20,000 reward was offered for the capture of a cougar in Western Australia, dead or alive. The reward was never claimed.[1]
[edit] References

1. ^ a b Long, J. L. (1988). Introduced birds and mammals in Western Australia (2nd Edition). Agriculture Protection Board of Western Australia.
  2. ^ Interview with Arnold Meredith, cousin of John Meredith and farmer in the Lake Grace and Boyup Brook regions, W.A. Meredith speaks of pioneering at Lake Grace, W.A. in a low rainfall district, settling and shearing activities, stories about the mysterious Coedering Cougars; Recorded on Sept. 9, 1991.http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/9153126

[edit] Further reading

• McGeough, P (1979-03-28). "Farmers plan cougar hunt for next sighting". The West Australian.
  • Pash, B (1979-04-21). "MPs to debate cat mystery". Sunday Times.
  • Zekulich, M (1979-08-01). "A.P.B.: There is no evidence of cougars in W.A.". West Australian.
  • Anonymous (1981-08-30). "U.S. soldiers brough cats here — claim". Sunday Independent.
  • O'Reilly, David (1981, republished 2011) Savage Shadow: The search for the Australian Cougar Sydney, NSW. Strange Nation Publishing, 2011. ISBN 9780646553139
  • Williams, M and Lang, R (2010) "Australian Big Cats: An Unnatural History of Panthers" Sydney, NSW. Strange Nation Publishing, 2010. ISBN 9780646530079
Interesting.

Now you've started a thread about what to do when LEO are at your door.:kos:

Well some years ago a team from a university in Melbourne went to the Grampians mountains to research whether there was a colony of cougars living there.
In their report they said that there are cougers living there beyond doubt.

In the Blue Mountains area near Sydney there were so many sightings of Puma's and Black Leopards that the govt. commisioned a big cat expert to investigate it.
In his report he said it's more likely than not that there is a colony of big cats living there, he said most likely black leopards, less likely jaguars.

That year, the Agricultural Protection Board of Western Australia declared that a two-year investigation had failed to find any evidence to suggest that cougars had ever been introduced into south-west Western Australia

Well it would be a bit hard to spot a cougar from your airconditioned office, or driving around in your vehicle.

I came across an article once by an old American guy, he used to go out on horseback with a pack of dogs and hunt cougars; the dogs were I think what are called Coonhounds; anyway the dogs would trail the cougars by scent till the cougar climbed a tree.
He said that he had caught over 2000 cougars but had never seen one in the wild, only the ones that his dogs had treed.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I came across an article once by an old American guy, he used to go out on horseback with a pack of dogs and hunt cougars; the dogs were I think what are called Coonhounds; anyway the dogs would trail the cougars by scent till the cougar climbed a tree.
He said that he had caught over 2000 cougars but had never seen one in the wild, only the ones that his dogs had treed.

I work with a guy who's dad does this for a living.

Yeah, you don't see these cats, but they make an effort to leave sign.