What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP! 1st time 3x3 tent setup and expectations.

xMACMobMedz

Ok so a little back story,

I've been doing A SHIT TON (almost an obsessive amount) of research on marijuana growing and have decided to go with organic-soil plants in a 3x3 grow tent with a 600 watt overhead HPS or LED.

My questions are:

1. Lets say same seeds, same temp, soil, same everything, which will give a bigger yield:
HPS or LED? (I do know its probably better to go MH then switch to HPS but the ballast are too expensive)

2. What would be the best indica seed genetically for max yield indoor?

3. Using femimized plants from seeds in answer for question 2, and assuming all growing conditions are great (not perfect but very well taken care of) what would be expected yield for 3x3 tent?

I dont care about the number of plants as I do about the quality and the quantity of smokeable buds.

4. Where do you personally draw your temperature for your tents? From the soil? The leaves? The lights?

Thanks in advance, I have all the resources to get this going but I'm looking for some realistic goals to help me pull the trigger and start growing
:smoke out: :canabis:

xMACMobMedz

What methods of soil growing will get me the MAX yield in a 3x3? I've read briefly about SCROGing but I haven't heard any testimonies about actual yield results. Just how it grows bigger.

If this is your first grow, get your temp and relative humidity set. Then learn the phenos you're working with and figure out how much water and nutrients they need. I wouldn't bother doing scrog from seed with no experience. Ventilation and hydration seem to be the two most overlooked variables for newbies. You should be able to pull 300g in that space if you have a decent first run, eventually you will get closer to 500+ when you get it all dialed in.
Just my 2c

xMACMobMedz

How do you figure out how much nutrients a plant needs without having a science lab lol?
And damn really I was thinking atleast 2 plants in there at a pound per.... Not arguing or claiming your wrong was just hoping for more. How many plants would you need to pull 5 lbs?

Chappi

It all has to do with how much light you have available. Realistically 1g/w is what you want to shoot for. @600w your best scenario would give you 600g, some people do better than that but I wouldn't realistically expect that on a first grow.

Nutrients, look at what the bottle reccomend and start at half dose, maybe even 1/3 the reccomended dose, then see how the plants react.

Btw, 3x3 is a really small area, 2lbs seems way too optimistic imo

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
Chappi, youre kidding right? 1gpw for this guys 1st grow? C'mon.

0.5grams per watt is a much more reaslistic goal, but still not always achievable. 1pgw is what the big dogs are able to get with sealed rooms and CO2.

Lethal

Hi all,

lets have a look on your questions:
1. I would say for a begginer HPS as you can find a huge coverage for these setups and great deal of experienced growers with knowledge to share.
2.This is tough question but if I have to choose one strain begginer friendly and good performer, well my choice would be Critical its not pure indica but nice hybrid
3. if you do really well for a first timer safe bet is 300g
4. I have this handy thermo-meter which has the sensor on about 2,5m long chord and I usually place into the high of the tops. This gives you idea what is the temperature on the most exposed places.

Last thing patience is the key to success.

Lethal

Chappi

0.5grams per watt is a much more reaslistic goal, but still not always achievable. 1pgw is what the big dogs are able to get with sealed rooms and CO2.

I was being nice, he was expecting 2lbs in his 3x3 :biggrin:

HarvestMoon303

And a lot of veg time, which is the number one thing that new growers don't want to hear.

it's all variable. longer veg = longer wait to harvest more per plant off larger ladies.
could be anywhere from 0 days -3months or more. All up to personal preference as to how you want to grow your plant.

soserthc1

Be sure to top/fimm all your plants multiple times

Longer veg would be 2/3 months

I like to just cut off every top shooting up as a clone on plants I'm going to veg longer.

That way you get healthy new top/clones for your next run and multiple tops on your plant

All depends. Not gonna find the answers until you've done this a few times... without knowing anything about the genetics (assuming you do not have access to clones).

1GPW is amazing... so aim for that, but as most said, likely wont happen first time through, or second for that matter.

There are some guys who can consistently achieve more than 1GPW, but they are always very dialed in, and typically great growers to begin with. You can get there, with patience, attention to detail, and constant desire to learn, and always be honest with the results you get.

Im just getting back myself, and reflecting on when I first started, to where I ended up prior to my hiatus, it was night and day. Quality, yield, all became more predictable. Then you decide which strains, which methods of growing, etc ,suit your goals. Great resources here at ICmag, take pictures, explain honestly what youve got going on, and they will do their best to help achieve your goals, or flat out tell ya their not realistic :)

Latest posts

Latest posts