What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HP and pH?

420Ready

Hello all! I've been growing in HP Promix Micorizae and have been pHing my water from 5.8 to 5.85, not a huge differance. However a few weeks ago I had a co worker tell me that pHing my water to 6.0 is perfect for this Promix.

Since there had been very few issues with my grow I decided to play it safe and stay at 5.8.

I'm just looking for some advice/confirmation on this matter. Much appreciated! Cheers!

roybart

Listen to the girls, they will tell you what they need.. Unless your co worker is one of the girls..LOL

Life in the jungle for the girls would show the pH changing a bit. Rain water, run off water would not have the same pH. The plants adapt a bit to the pH swings..

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/new-research-results-optimal-ph-for-cannabis/

Snip
The topic of pH levels are a hotly debated topic for cannabis growers. So let me back up my reasoning from some knowledge from David Robinson, Author of the Grower’s Handbook.
David says “Plants secrete acids and bases in their root zone to adjust the pH depending on what nutrients they want to eat. If a plant wants more phosphorous and potassium, it may actually secrete an acid, dropping the pH of the rest, so that it can uptake more P and K. It is also possible if the plant wants more calcium, for instance, that it may raise the pH in order to make that calcium more available. If we decide that 6 is the perfect number and every single time the point moves to 6.2 or 5.8 and we run in there and adjust it, it is possible we can be working against our plants.”
snip

https://growingexposed.com/cannabis-doctor/ph-fluctuations/

One of my plants always move the pH to 6.2 something .. Even when I add a gallon of 5.75 pH water to the bucket at 6.02 pH it will move to 6.1 in 24 hours and the PPM's settle right around 1400 (My water starts at 550 PPM's)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hello all! I've been growing in HP Promix Micorizae and have been pHing my water from 5.8 to 5.85, not a huge differance. However a few weeks ago I had a co worker tell me that pHing my water to 6.0 is perfect for this Promix.

Since there had been very few issues with my grow I decided to play it safe and stay at 5.8.

I'm just looking for some advice/confirmation on this matter. Much appreciated! Cheers!
I grow in the same stuff and prefer a swing from 6.0-6.5

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The ideal growing medium pH for maximum nutrient availability is between 5.5 and 6.5. Check out youtube,-- (Why is the ideal pH of PRO-MIX lower than soil?) I like to keep the pH at 5.8 for maximum absorption.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The ideal growing medium pH for maximum nutrient availability is between 5.5 and 6.5. Check out youtube,-- (Why is the ideal pH of PRO-MIX lower than soil?) I like to keep the pH at 5.8 for maximum absorption.
I'm getting ready to start my next run and will give that a whirl :tiphat: