What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Water Culture Questions and Answers

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Hope to find support for novice deep water culture hobbyists. A few details I have noticed while attempting to propagate cuttings with an Oxyclone 40:

Plants survive exceptionally well (amazing) although I have not been seeing many roots develop. Even large leaves on a cut stem will not wilt and what looks like clusters of new growth form at the shoots over weeks yet little or no root development. I have used primarily water from the tap pH ~8.0 22 degrees C.

Hydroguard or a few ppm of chlorine is recommended in the reservoir to prevent pathogens. Plants appear to respond well to lower pH (5.2-5.5) tap water. A lower nutrient dilution than container gardening with media is required. With only water leaves may become yellow and with nutrients in the reservoir they may wither and curl.

Little larvae from fungus gnats or other flies are on the foam inserts. Cuttings placed in the cloner were dipped in soap solution or otherwise quarantine was attempted, alas buggers fly. I dropped a piece of mosquito dunk in the reservoir. Physan 20 is an agricultural disinfectant for mold or mildew. If it isn't one pest eating the leaves or digging into the stems it is another eating the roots.

Latest posts

Latest posts