What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hard to root mom

Veggia farmer

Hello,

I have a hard to root mom. The one everybody loves ofcourse.

In the same setup I have had 80-90%++ success in rooting other strains like supersilver haze and biker kush with nice long white roots in 2/3 weeks. This trophy mom, IN THE SAME SETUP.... 3-4 weeks, well at least under 50% success maybe 30%...

The first setup was with 250w hps, so a lot of light.. SSH and BK, no problem root fast and rapid growth afterwards... At this setup it was hard to keep an even temp, dont know the rh, my meter was broken.

Ok, lets put some more effort.. low lights... natural shadow indoors from window, and a small light bulb in the roof too signal veg, temp 24-27, 70-80 % RH. Im still not happy about the result.. still under 50 % success.. Next to them SSH rooting easily...

Some molded, some maybe damping off ok.. change medium from compost ( I KNOW bacterias, but SSH and BK LOVED IT!), organic potting soil ( I still know!), sand and even perlite.. Same results these mom is different and I could not put my finger on it..
I have even tried to use bleach too see if something happend, not a lot..

Until I maybe did, not sure though time will tell, I smoked a joint and took a feel on my plants. SSH and BK had stiffer stems. Stems felt more "waxy", Rought on the surface..

The other mom was slick and smoooth on the stems. NO friction when I slide my thumb and pointingfinger up and down the stem.. The stems are also more "sloppy""floppy". Bend easily.

In flower the BK and SSH stands easily more up right too.. same medium same bed same same same....

I have added silica (could only get rhino skin at the moment of purchase) still quite the same...

More silica???

I know some plants root a lot better with silica..

Anyone with experince of a mother like this???

Im thinking to buy some cloners from nutriculture, but I dont want too to be honest.. BUT everybody loves this mom so I need her..so help will deeply be appricated!

Veggia farmer

Forgot. The mom is a cross between at least grand daddy purple, bubblegum and an unknown banana strain. A friend of a friend crossed it and i ended up with 4 seeds:) More seeds made from them too!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Clone-ability is a trait that I factor into my keepers. If I can't make clones consistently with a certain plant, it's not likely to stay around to be a Mum, no matter how good it is. I think some phenos just don't take to cloning like they 'should'. They are not cut out to be Mums. I mean, cloning is not rocket science. That's one way to look at it.

Veggia farmer

If you have an extra cut or two, you could try rooting cuttings
in water.

have many cuts of this one, so no problem. You find rooting in water is easier for some moms? What are your perspective of using that method?

The wife laughs about this. She always use just water on non cannabis plants cant figure at what Im messing around with. She has great success btw.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
in water probably he meant a bubbler or aerocloner

also try root her in pure perlit, use different rooting stuff iba or naa raise humidity up to 85-90% rH for 4-5 days in closed propagator.

Maple_Flail

bump up your sulfer and boron content. if that doesn't help...

spend more time building a heram to clone from.. like if three root.. two go to the tray one goes back to the veg room to become a secondary or greater mother.

or bring her back to your friend to line work it so its easier to clone with higher success.

whens the last time you've given her proper sunlight? hows the internode stacking.

for my "bratty" mothers like this I generally train til the majority of the clipping have 3 rooting spots + the 45* at the end. LOTS of veg time to do this if they are not stacked yet.

Veggia farmer

Clone-ability is a trait that I factor into my keepers. If I can't make clones consistently with a certain plant, it's not likely to stay around to be a Mum, no matter how good it is. I think some phenos just don't take to cloning like they 'should'. They are not cut out to be Mums. I mean, cloning is not rocket science. That's one way to look at it.

I get that some phenos are easier to root and so on. Im with you a long way on that subject, but for me and my situation its no way Im tossing this one out. I have never seen so frosty, sticky buds like this pheno. The aroma and taste is also quit impressive. The yield is nothing to brag about. And hey, my friends would hate me if I told them its gone, I like friends;)

So Im keeping it no matter what. But can I make it root like other strains with out buying extra equipment like these cloners..?

Veggia farmer

also try root her in pure perlit, use different rooting stuff iba or naa raise humidity up to 85-90% rH for 4-5 days in closed propagator.

OK ok, thats the thing I wonder If i could go another routh than this stuff, its expensive!

Tried pure perlite, have some In that now. Im not so impressed at the moment to be honest, I know a lot of folks love the perlite.

Have just a small dome at the moment. Im setting up a "small" clone factory. Planning and experimenting which routhe to go down.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
it s cheap to make a bubbler replica with almost everything around in homes

in this link o rama thread i think you can find some interesting alternatives

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Propagation
[/FONT]

Veggia farmer

bump up your sulfer and boron content. if that doesn't help...

spend more time building a heram to clone from.. like if three root.. two go to the tray one goes back to the veg room to become a secondary or greater mother.

or bring her back to your friend to line work it so its easier to clone with higher success.

whens the last time you've given her proper sunlight? hows the internode stacking.

for my "bratty" mothers like this I generally train til the majority of the clipping have 3 rooting spots + the 45* at the end. LOTS of veg time to do this if they are not stacked yet.

Boron and sulfur? I will check into that!

I have 8 or 9 mothers now, so i can take some clones at the moment. Fred has "talked me into" "numbers dictate yield" so I want a bunch every week...

The friend of a friend is someone I will maybe meet some day.. :/

I took one mother outdoors last week to see if that will help, planning on planting her in native soil this week maybe. See what happens..

The mothers indoor has gotten a wide range of light intensity but I cant say that this or this is better, cant find anything to hold on to. Right now I have 3 in 60-70 L buckets with compost in bottom and clay soil and organic potting soil on the top, 4 in 25 l with clay soil and potting soil, mixed soils. These mothers are under 250 w hps. They are all very short... Bushy.. internode spacing is 5-7/8 CM maybe.. can check later!

Its not a new mom. Sprouted her from seed two years ago I think.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
welcome.

oxygen - humidity - temperature you need to find the right ratio for her, everything else are secondary things until there are no roots to feed up herself

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I agree with whipedmeat to give the aerocloner/bubbler a shot. That helped me out when I was having problems dialing in my cloning, cause they are basically set it and forget it. Didn't have to worry about keeping the leaves humid and everything put in mine cloned eventually. My dislike came from having to clean it after each batch of cloning with bleached water because it was a pain to get in/out of my grow area. I kept breaking airstones too. Eventually I settled on rapid rooter cloning plugs and those work great for me, but I hate to say go buy another thing to try, especially if it doesn't work. If you have an aquarium or other pump that can run 24/7 I would definitely try going the bubbler route.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
have many cuts of this one, so no problem. You find rooting in water is easier for some moms? What are your perspective of using that method?

The wife laughs about this. She always use just water on non cannabis plants cant figure at what Im messing around with. She has great success btw.

Just plain water in a small glass container, like a salt shaker:

picture.php

Sam's thunk, maybe two weeks, 99% strike rate.

Veggia farmer

Like that way dropped cat! Will try that too!

To be honest I got restless and manage to get discount on those cloners from nutriculture since I needed something else from the store too. Hope it will help. Need some more later I think, I will hopefully build those myself! Prepping for winter projects ;)

Is it another recommended way of cleaning these cloners without bleach? I will use if needed, but just like to use more natural stuff if I can.

If not this doesnt help maybe I try the red wine, lol.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
can use power wash steam cleaner too, but chlorine evaporates without residue
those tools must be disinfected someway regularly.
and don t forget to change the water in the glass if you do not use airpump

Latest posts

Latest posts