What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Backpack setups and tool advice for the NeuGorilla in the neighborhood

G13Fan

Hi Frens ! NE Ohio here I like action so now I am going to become a city spot grower outdoors. Our plants are all set for June 1st plant date . 1st time outdoor guerrilla attempt. 2nd year grower outdoors but got to babysit my 2 plants last year. I learned a lot then and want to learn about the real action out in the jungle. I want to grow some Wonkatrees! I ordered Night Vision Headgear, well reviewed fly fishing waders https://www.landmsupply.com/hodgman-caster-neoprene-cleat-bootfoot to keep water and ticks off me (lyme). Have many good strains in 7x7 pots now about to cut them down short a second cut to 4 main colas. Been working on this plan since last spring buying seeds all year and studying massive outdoor thread and others. Been working with my personal stash grow plants very hard since late Feb from seed. Wondering what tools are the best for when the plant happens. I think about roots to cut through when digging and also chopping weeds down. With carrying so much thru the forest what tools have become the best lightweight shovels picks cutting tools ? What has worked and what has not? Whats the recommended arm covering and gloves? Do you wear a face cover? I have to do everything at night there are so many people everywhere all over. Every road every turn nothing but people or farmers fields who watch everything like a hawk( I don't blame them). People people people and cruisers!! I can't drive too far with them in my car of fears of them sending a team to the house if I get pulled on the way. What is the best strategy with this? Travel with live plants is where it all makes or breaks in my mind. That is the real juice.No turning back when you leave the driveway. Crazy story I have traveled with a whole truckbed full of plants it's not fun. Seen a ton of them on the way over after usually seeing none. When I got there finally I park and hopout open the lid about to unload, then the 5-oh pulled up and parked 2 of them looking at me within 50 feet( OF COURSE !)I had the glass lid open but not the tailgate (thank God) few leaves sticking out the bed cover. I close the lid tried not to look panicked and went in the house ! They passed by and didn't stop but mugged in the house real slow. Crazy always when you are in the hottest spot the boys roll up you always got to be ready rule 1 .

So back on track What is the ultimate tools set for the gorilla and also what else helps carrying things through the woods? Thanks in advance ICMAG!!!!

Night Vision seems critical now with the amount of cameras and people.

I found these goggles after many hours of looking and thinking about it.

NVG Night Vision Goggles IR Infrared Technology

search this on fleabay if interested more

The reviews were all good and the price was reasonable. I am looking forward to my first time in the weeds prepping sites at night. I plan on getting a IR torch as well for more visability. Anyone have any exp doing night work in the wild? I wonder what tips you all might have exp with mosquito control out there they tear me up ! Would netting over the face be too fragile out in the weeds. I worry about running into the Dogman too ( I know I know). The juice is the action tho so I'm doin it like metal gear solid snake rite where it's least expected hence the NV Goggs. Buddy will drop me off out of the van at 3 am il go into the woods and prep a spot. He will come back in 1 hr .What could possibly go wrong?!! (joke) Loving this sheet already!

Big Eggy

Veteran
I guess my first question would be is how many plants do you plan on growing at each site and what size are they.. have they been vegged indoors?

If you expect to have to cut through roots a folding pruning saw will be a good investment. Over this side of the pond spear and Jackson or felco would be good choices for quality but cheap ones would last a few seasons.

Are you gonna need to amend the soild?

therevverend

Veteran
You get credit for having big balls but guerrilla growing in the city is dangerous. My best advice is to stick to indoor gardening, it's got it's own perils but it's much safer. Even in the city there are green spaces and areas that can be planted out but there's eyes everywhere. I'd want to know my planting area, spend time walking it and planning in the winter when all the vegetation has died back. I'd also want to know what it's like at harvest time, water levels, people and animals, land use can change quite a bit in a few months. If you haven't done any of this I'd be leery going forward. Water is the number one priority, you don't want to be hauling water twice a week. If your plants dry out and die the first time the temperatures hit 80 F it's a waste of time. If it's too wet and the roots rot likewise you're fucked. Plan your planting day around the weather, choose a week of cloudy rainy weather so they don't get burned or dry out. It'll give them time to get their roots down into the water table.

A safe place where you can park, load and unload your car is important. I X'd many sites simply because I couldn't get my car safely off the paved road, into an area that wasn't visible. Your drop off, pick up, load/unload is sketchy. I'd switch my spots up, using only one spot for everything is risky. You don't want a pesky concerned citizen sticking his nose in because he thinks you're dumping trash or a cop rolling up to check for a stolen car. On this subject it's good to have a believable story and don't use bird watching, they've heard that one before. Having a fishing license and a pole works better.

I liked a big backpack with buckets stuffed in it, your young plants won't be smushed that way and neither will your harvest. Water is an ally, if you're going in up to your armpits you know people won't be following you to your patch and you won't leave a trail. Boxes full of seedlings float.

The less tools the better. The folding saw is necessary along with a pair of hand pruners. A mini shovel, half length works good. Or a big shovel tossed out of a van into the bushes. You can make a cache near your patch. If you're having to bust through roots and chop through weeds your presence will be obvious. Leaving the weeds but selectively pruning branches to allow direct sunlight to your patch is best. You'll have to come back in a month to clear out the new growth. Granulated slow release concentrated amendments and lime do a lot with a little. Don't blaze trails or remove too much vegetation. Night vision sounds good but it also stand out. We've got our own night vision if you don't stare into lights. Use all your senses, smell, ears, sense of direction, footing, anything can save your ass. I like the very early morning, crack of dawn. You get natural light and most people are still asleep. Everything is quiet and still so a branch cracking stands out.

Mosquito control? Bug bites and plant allergies are the last thing you should worry about, they're badges of honor. I'd avoid anything that gives you a strong smell. If you do your job properly you'll be covered with mud from head to toe. So a clean change of street clothes and shoes when you're 10 feet from the car is a good idea. Stay safe, that's the number one priority more important then all the ganja in the world..

Mr. J

Good luck with that. I'm going to go ahead and predict that between thieves and cops it's all gonna get ripped before you get to harvest but I hope I'm wrong. I'm usually right though.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Better advise form the guys above... I live very rural and its still tough... I know people have been up at my site with my humble two plants... I live in a pretty laid back area so lucky for me no cops yet.. Will I get ripped come harvest... Only time will tell.

Lotto

Go slow. Use a three week planting window. End of May thru mid June. A few plants, followed by a few more. Check each successive planting for damage. Do not ammend the soil. Too much of an invitation to critters, especially deer. Do not clear the area. Do not prune with a tool. Find a spot, sink a plant and leave. Use a small backpack with a folding shovel. Wrap your plants in newspaper. Coincide your plant out with a rain.
Maintenance, feeding and evaluation can be performed later. If plants survive, downed limbs and branches can be used for concealment. Humans, weather, deer and digging critters are your biggest obstacles. You're new to this. Don't expect the world. Plan on being disappointed. If plantings can't be monitored safely, stay away.

Stdane

Good sound advice Lotto, also get a feel on the area, where are the nearest water source and dont gps the spot, infact when you're out there dont carry your phone with you. Good luck and stay safe....

therevverend

Veteran
Another piece of advice; avoid the fish sauce. It'll attract every rat, possum, raccoon, cat, dog, and other varmint within 5 miles. I left my bag of fish bone meal out in the yard a couple weeks back. Next morning a rat had chewed a hole in the bag. I put it in a plastic box a few days later outside next to the garage. Another rat hole.

On the other hand concentrated blood meal is a good one for keeping the vegetarians away. Rabbits, deer, hate the smell of blood and piss. Bone meal is a good one but bury it deep. Anything that has a chance of attracting rascals should be buried at least six inches. Even so if a dog or bear wants it they get it at the price of your plants.

I liked swampy areas with natural fencing. Deer will eat any ganja plant they can reach but they probably won't swim for it or crawl through sticker bushes and tight bramble. I would belly crawl into a thicket in a swamp, sawing a branch or two to make a path wide enough to squeeze my body. Concealed the cuts on the branches with dirt. Every footstep, every broken branch, every shovel-full of dirt has to be concealed. Smoothed out, buried with leaves, I like cloudy weather and rain because it erases trails and mud.

It's a risk but it is possible to grow in urban areas. I knew a guy, now deceased, I remember his calves. His calves were like most peoples' thighs. Huge viking guy. He grew in the bay area, in the green areas created by the on/off ramps on the freeways. Thousands of commuters would pass by his passes every day, unaware his huge ganja plants were concealed by a thin row of trees and weeds. He had a long sword hung up over his door. You put your neck on the line every time you entered his house.

G13Fan

Wow ya'll thank you even after reading massive outdoor thread and taking notes I still just learned a ton of great tricks. I do feel like I can get away with it I have a solid plan and help to get them out there. I decided to go outside the city to the remote spots I know. I plan on doing the dig and drop method and not amend the soil for now but will look over all suggestions carefully. I have also chosen lowland black dirt areas where water is easy to tap root down to. 1 or 2 plants a drop site hidden and I plan on once every 2 weeks get dropped off by partner on side of the road for water and trim nutes check ups. I want to try it and I feel I am smart enough to get in and out without detection. Reminds me of playing metal gear. Thanks for all the comments you all are brave smart people . This should be a hoot. I have the plants set for June 1st sunlight schedule for planting and will go after that date on a random times and days. All this to grow a flower that harms nobody.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
you are getting a lot of great advice here!
if you can walk, casually walk through the area to get a feel for what its like; just look and listen
once far away from the main trail, drop a few coin in the vicinity of where you would like to grow

therevverend

Veteran
carry a compass

or you might end up walking much further than planned.

When I was young and stupid I went with a couple friends at night to harvest a couple plants. Of course we got turned around and lost. Luckily there was a large orange harvest moon in the east that I'd noticed earlier. I knew the plants were west so we went straight towards them.

Unfortunately for me there were also huge blackberry patches to the west I had to wade through. I'd been in a car accident a couple hours earlier. It'd gashed a hole in my chin that I could see my teeth through. I had to wrap my coat around my head and walk backwards through the blackberries. Still have a scar on my chin. I earned my share of the ganja that time.

I could see someone bringing a compass and forgetting to bring a flashlight. Always pay attention to your surroundings, the moon, stars, landmarks..

If there's one amendment I could choose out of all of them I'd bring lime. Epsom salts are another good one, the soil is almost certain to be depleted. I would always bring it in a bag along with my slow release granulated stuff. I went organic so stuff like alfalfa meal, sunflower meal, bone meal, and the rest was critical. You could also get straight up chemical, I wouldn't use stuff like Osmocote because I don't like the manufacturer. I'd get the straight up chemicals themselves. You can get Urea from amazon, 45-0-0, all sorts of other shit online. It's been said already but I never had problems with bonemeal but I'd bury it deep. At least 6 inches and more like a foot or more. If you add the fertilizer on your first trip you won't have a lot of work on later trips. I'd make 3 or 4. One to plant out, one to remove males and fertilize, maybe one mid flowering to add flowering fertilizer and look for hermaphrodites, and harvest.

zzzybil

GEEZZZZZ

GEEZZZZZ

I HOPE you can call me Al don't meet his waterloo .......:blowbubbles:......... that wasn't too bright bubba

G13Fan

Awesome advice all. I found the perfect spot where I can park with no people around in the middle of nowhere and if a cruiser rolls by I look just like another car in the service lot. I also can see the headlights coming at least 2 min before the car could even get near my car. I also have the NV goggles that will help although it is like looking thru a zoom lens with them on and difficult to walk still will be a good way to see without using a flashlight as it is easily turned on and off. I think I can weave into the background in the plant zone and also be able to come back when needed to fert /nute . I will bring a bag of bu's blend with me and enough to amend a small hole. I will have to learn how to add lime and epsom as I would not know how much to add. More research ! It's endless here ! The plants are in 7x 7 containers and have a massive root ball built up. I really am looking forward to the plant, I am getting nervous and planning non stop 5D chess and will update. I been thinking about this project and working on this for so long now , I am noided as it comes time for go but the juice is the action !!I def got the butterfly's got to do it absolutely perfect. I do my other IRL work like this too so the pressure is what I am used to and VERY good when under it . You know when it's time to drive with em it's like a ticking time bomb you have to defuse by arriving at destination. The time is coming to put em in ! All advice has been amazing and thank you so much .

Last edited:

G13Fan

When I was young and stupid I went with a couple friends at night to harvest a couple plants. Of course we got turned around and lost. Luckily there was a large orange harvest moon in the east that I'd noticed earlier. I knew the plants were west so we went straight towards them.

Unfortunately for me there were also huge blackberry patches to the west I had to wade through. I'd been in a car accident a couple hours earlier. It'd gashed a hole in my chin that I could see my teeth through. I had to wrap my coat around my head and walk backwards through the blackberries. Still have a scar on my chin. I earned my share of the ganja that time.

I could see someone bringing a compass and forgetting to bring a flashlight. Always pay attention to your surroundings, the moon, stars, landmarks..

If there's one amendment I could choose out of all of them I'd bring lime. Epsom salts are another good one, the soil is almost certain to be depleted. I would always bring it in a bag along with my slow release granulated stuff. I went organic so stuff like alfalfa meal, sunflower meal, bone meal, and the rest was critical. You could also get straight up chemical, I wouldn't use stuff like Osmocote because I don't like the manufacturer. I'd get the straight up chemicals themselves. You can get Urea from amazon, 45-0-0, all sorts of other shit online. It's been said already but I never had problems with bonemeal but I'd bury it deep. At least 6 inches and more like a foot or more. If you add the fertilizer on your first trip you won't have a lot of work on later trips. I'd make 3 or 4. One to plant out, one to remove males and fertilize, maybe one mid flowering to add flowering fertilizer and look for hermaphrodites, and harvest.

Wow so sorry that happened to you that sounds liek a terrible night . I know that bud was the best you ever had tho and good you healed up almost perfectly. Thanks for the great words of advice will do as suggested one and all.

you are getting a lot of great advice here!
if you can walk, casually walk through the area to get a feel for what its like; just look and listen
once far away from the main trail, drop a few coin in the vicinity of where you would like to grow

That's awesome advice thank you for commenting all you ICMAG heavyhitters. I came here for a reason .

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Hi Frens ! NE Ohio here I like action so now I am going to become a city spot grower outdoors. Our plants are all set for June 1st plant date . 1st time outdoor guerrilla attempt. 2nd year grower outdoors but got to babysit my 2 plants last year. I learned a lot then and want to learn about the real action out in the jungle. I want to grow some Wonkatrees! I ordered Night Vision Headgear, well reviewed fly fishing waders https://www.landmsupply.com/hodgman-caster-neoprene-cleat-bootfoot to keep water and ticks off me (lyme). Have many good strains in 7x7 pots now about to cut them down short a second cut to 4 main colas. Been working on this plan since last spring buying seeds all year and studying massive outdoor thread and others. Been working with my personal stash grow plants very hard since late Feb from seed. Wondering what tools are the best for when the plant happens. I think about roots to cut through when digging and also chopping weeds down. With carrying so much thru the forest what tools have become the best lightweight shovels picks cutting tools ? What has worked and what has not? Whats the recommended arm covering and gloves? Do you wear a face cover? I have to do everything at night there are so many people everywhere all over. Every road every turn nothing but people or farmers fields who watch everything like a hawk( I don't blame them). People people people and cruisers!! I can't drive too far with them in my car of fears of them sending a team to the house if I get pulled on the way. What is the best strategy with this? Travel with live plants is where it all makes or breaks in my mind. That is the real juice.No turning back when you leave the driveway. Crazy story I have traveled with a whole truckbed full of plants it's not fun. Seen a ton of them on the way over after usually seeing none. When I got there finally I park and hopout open the lid about to unload, then the 5-oh pulled up and parked 2 of them looking at me within 50 feet( OF COURSE !)I had the glass lid open but not the tailgate (thank God) few leaves sticking out the bed cover. I close the lid tried not to look panicked and went in the house ! They passed by and didn't stop but mugged in the house real slow. Crazy always when you are in the hottest spot the boys roll up you always got to be ready rule 1 .

So back on track What is the ultimate tools set for the gorilla and also what else helps carrying things through the woods? Thanks in advance ICMAG!!!!

Night Vision seems critical now with the amount of cameras and people.

I found these goggles after many hours of looking and thinking about it.

NVG Night Vision Goggles IR Infrared Technology

search this on fleabay if interested more

The reviews were all good and the price was reasonable. I am looking forward to my first time in the weeds prepping sites at night. I plan on getting a IR torch as well for more visability. Anyone have any exp doing night work in the wild? I wonder what tips you all might have exp with mosquito control out there they tear me up ! Would netting over the face be too fragile out in the weeds. I worry about running into the Dogman too ( I know I know). The juice is the action tho so I'm doin it like metal gear solid snake rite where it's least expected hence the NV Goggs. Buddy will drop me off out of the van at 3 am il go into the woods and prep a spot. He will come back in 1 hr .What could possibly go wrong?!! (joke) Loving this sheet already!

Lol you sound a lot like me. Always keep your ass some water, and something to protect yourself man. I used to live accross the border in In for almost 20yrs, man some brutal winters. It's just getting warm enough here to start growing really

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm gonna get that tote and try to get that going this week. They didn't have the one I want. Might have to check the other Walmart.....and man it's rough walking all the way to the back to find them. Ah I'm just get the 18 or something I saw there probably. Got a few clones to transplant to 5-10 grow bags, not exactly sure how many I want to run this year as I've explained

G13Fan

Got 3 of them out last night at 4 am sneaking thru the bushes. This is hard for sure and I imagined it would be. Thank God for the great advice and prep I learned on this site and thread esp. Might help me get that room full of curing bud I am bringing into my vision. Been training myself to wake earlier. Do as much as you can while the window is open. People start waking up around 4:30am, luckily that is mostly old people or men going to work. This sport is for sure Like playing metal gear in the dark but more intense. Very very dangerous for many reasons. Getting into a good spot without being detected and being able to find them again will prove to be the difficult task. Lot of wild brush to get through . This game is no joke. You better get in shape if you plan on doing this where it's risky. Speed and quick thinking are the key so far

G13Fan

Ok update , got 6 of them out in the bush in a risky but close to home location. All night time work.Dominion Diesel ,Ogre Skunk , Munson, Granny Skunk, Columbo Skunk, Skunk Crippler 1 of each. Plan on putting 2 more out keeping them in the 2 or 3 gallon Bato Buckets for now so I can move them around in case. Im real close to a airport so that's another issue making paths thru the weeds can get me made. So risky so so risky but fun! Cut clones of all strains and the plants should do well I hope ! Flowering in the summertime indoors seems like too much heat too much power use. i will only veg clones the rest of the summer indoors let the sun do the work for me just have that little risk. NV goggles are no good have to buy REAL NV glasses not the fake BS off ebay . Wasted 250 on a toy Costs 1000 minimum for something even close to be able to walk in nature with at night without falling over. I got dragonfly fat flowers going to brew teas and feed them every few nights if possible just have to not get seen and that requires patiernce and 3 am work . Thanks for all the great advice folks I am hoping this all guides me to a great little harvest.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yes, real nvg arent cheap
/and the cheap ones arent good
no matter which ones you get they will take some getting used to
if you can, get the ones with dual oculars, it helps a lot with the depth perception but still not 100%
wish you all the best man; stay safe and have a great harvest

Latest posts

Latest posts