What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED choices

delerious

I've been looking to get an LED to replace my 600W HPS in a 4x4 - wish I started before Black Friday. I can't make up my mind, so I'm looking for some opinions on my choices. Spider Farmer SF-4000 is cheaper than my other choices, but the warranty isn't inspiring (90 days free, pay ship + repair after 1 yr.) Growers Choice ROI-E680 at 680W is really too much and the controller is over $300 Optic LED Slim 600H has dimming, uses LM301H and Cree XPE. It also has a 10 yr. warranty, but I don't see much as far as reviews. Scynce LED Raging Kush at 690W it's probably overkill, but I like the dimming and spectrum control, not too crazy about using phone and I'm really stretching the budget. California Lightworks SolarSystem 550 might be a little small at 400W, but I can adjust my grow space down. The controller is priced a little more reasonably ($850 for light+controller). I almost grabbed a 480W QB light for $343 on Amazon, but I'm not too crazy about buying something that would have to be shipped to China for repair. Dimming is a big plus, but I'd rather have 1% steps than 20% - 25% or turning a screwdriver to adjust. The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the ability to adjust the spectrum based on growth stage (seedling, veg,flower).

BuzzBob56

:lurk: All excellent questions and points to ponder. I, too, am on the LED Learning Curve.
Hopping onboard for the discussion!

JJ Lowe

Check out timber grow lights. We just finished our first full run with 3 of the fatty vs and were really pleased.

Koondense

Veteran
I was just going to mention ChilLed.
Anyway, as almost always with questions like this, some info about the budget is missing and would be of great help for finding a decent option for your money.

Cheers

Sava

here's a custom QB 200wt design. as fas as i know he use lm301b 4000k + osram oslon 660nm.
here's a pic

size - 2 ft x 1 ft. price is around 250 for a panel

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Industry standard appears to be Phillips but man are they pricey. I like my mars ts but wish I could add a little more red.

delerious

I was just going to mention ChilLed.
Anyway, as almost always with questions like this, some info about the budget is missing and would be of great help for finding a decent option for your money.

Cheers

Thought I mentioned it. $1300 is the absolute most, 1000-1100 will keep me out of the doghouse, but require small sacrifices.

Just checking to see if code does new line here because enter key doesn't seem to work for my posts.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Is DIY an option? You can build some amazing lights with that budget. :D

Main points to consider are spectrum and quality. Spectrum defines yield, physical growth structures, terpene and cannabinoid production and harvest times. Quality defines lumen/watt efficiencies, durability and reliability differences in the equipment.

Lots of knock off, cheapo LEDs have the wrong spectrum or too much far-red. You want to look for a spectrum closer to CMH, which still produces HPS style flowers. You'll get max flower bulk, while still producing great resin/terpene yields.

No idea who the top end LED lights are now, but there are a few relevant threads on here about them. Though not 'top-end' equipment, I know the new TS series of Mars Hydro lights work quite well for cannabis. 15+ years of HID, and I'm definitely impressed with the output of their TSW-2000.

Bottom line, be sure you research how well a light works with cannabis before purchase. :) Best of luck.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A 240w QB set is about $100 with a mightly postage cost of $40 more. One with reds cost maybe $10 more, and they can provide the main head in two halves for another $10, which is nice for spreading the love. So for that $340 you can have 4 of the 135w QB heads, running off a pair of 240w meanwells. All fitted out with LM301h and 660s. LM301h is version 3, but you can still get version 2 with the LM301b. You can't get version 1 though, unless buying old stock from slow moving supply chains. Where you likely can't get the v3 which is over 12 months old.

Koondense

Veteran
Thought I mentioned it. $1300 is the absolute most, 1000-1100 will keep me out of the doghouse, but require small sacrifices.

With 1300 you can buy almost anything, but still there are great lights for less than 1000$.
My pick would be the ChilLed Logic(1000$).
For less money it's best to just get 3x QB deep red 250W kits(approx. 400-800$, depending on your location).

Cheers

indagroove

Veteran
I'm surprised no one has mentioned HLG, a USA company who makes true QB's, not knock offs.

Get 4 or 5 of these QB96's with heatsinks for $70 each, then a driver or two and wire plus some hangers and you're good to go for under $500 all done.

https://horticulturelightinggroup.c...s/products/qb96-elite-v2-quantum-board-engine

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot (41).jpg
    Screenshot (41).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 32

hayday

Veteran
HLG has alot of cool stuff that will get you over the gpw barrier. It ain't the cheapest but it is good.

Cantharellus

HLG is now using an inventronics driver on the 550 rspec that has a knob installed for dimming. You can dim it down however you want lowest is 50 %. I saw a post from one of the owners that said this was a more reliable power supply . Access is limited so reaching up and turning a knob is perfect for my application. Warranty is the same on the inventronics as the meanwell.

indagroove

Veteran
HLG has alot of cool stuff that will get you over the gpw barrier. It ain't the cheapest but it is good.

They are having sales on their V1 kits now, making way for the new tech that is dropping soon. The V1 stuff is actually a pretty good price, made in the USA, warrantied, and upgradable with the new boards down the line if you like.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I've been looking to get an LED to replace my 600W HPS in a 4x4 - wish I started before Black Friday. I can't make up my mind, so I'm looking for some opinions on my choices. Spider Farmer SF-4000 is cheaper than my other choices, but the warranty isn't inspiring (90 days free, pay ship + repair after 1 yr.) Growers Choice ROI-E680 at 680W is really too much and the controller is over $300 Optic LED Slim 600H has dimming, uses LM301H and Cree XPE. It also has a 10 yr. warranty, but I don't see much as far as reviews. Scynce LED Raging Kush at 690W it's probably overkill, but I like the dimming and spectrum control, not too crazy about using phone and I'm really stretching the budget. California Lightworks SolarSystem 550 might be a little small at 400W, but I can adjust my grow space down. The controller is priced a little more reasonably ($850 for light+controller). I almost grabbed a 480W QB light for $343 on Amazon, but I'm not too crazy about buying something that would have to be shipped to China for repair. Dimming is a big plus, but I'd rather have 1% steps than 20% - 25% or turning a screwdriver to adjust. The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the ability to adjust the spectrum based on growth stage (seedling, veg,flower).

Check out marshydro TS3000, which can cover 4x4 flowering area. :tiphat:
http://bit.ly/2T2HFWb

delerious

Is DIY an option? You can build some amazing lights with that budget. :D

Main points to consider are spectrum and quality. Spectrum defines yield, physical growth structures, terpene and cannabinoid production and harvest times. Quality defines lumen/watt efficiencies, durability and reliability differences in the equipment.

Lots of knock off, cheapo LEDs have the wrong spectrum or too much far-red. You want to look for a spectrum closer to CMH, which still produces HPS style flowers. You'll get max flower bulk, while still producing great resin/terpene yields.

No idea who the top end LED lights are now, but there are a few relevant threads on here about them. Though not 'top-end' equipment, I know the new TS series of Mars Hydro lights work quite well for cannabis. 15+ years of HID, and I'm definitely impressed with the output of their TSW-2000.

Bottom line, be sure you research how well a light works with cannabis before purchase. :) Best of luck.

I thought about DIY - been following growmau5 a few years, but I'm getting older and eyesight isn't what it was, fat clumsy fingers are losing their grip along with stuff that's expected once you pass 60. I'd rather have a unit that's more or less plug-n-play that I can use a warranty with if something goes bad.

I'm going to have to wait longer than I wanted because my car broke down and I'm not sure what the damage is going to be until the mechanic gets a chance to look at it :(

Thanks