What's new

Need help building a sealed room for Co2 use

Hi there Guys!
Thanks for droping by.

I ve being growing in this room for a few years now, is in an attic and a new neighbour just moved in, first thing he has done is complain about my exaust noise and about some smell( thats with a new filter and using Ozone) usually with the filter and Ozone i can manage, but with some strains(Gelato,GG4 etc) no matter how many things I do the smell still reaches out.

I wanted to experiment with CO2 since a while now, for the obvious reason of increasing yield but also because it is apealing to me to have a grow room totally sealed that no one can see or smell ;-)

The room is not that big and as it is it is quite sealed, the size is 12,5 feet x 8,5 x 9,2 feet, and has a window that is totally sealed and the door that comunicates to the room from the house. The restb is just walls.

Air exchange right now is done via an exhaust taking the air out of the room wall, intake is passive right now.I am planning to leave the exhaust, filter, ozone machine etc installed as they are , just in case i need to evacuate air out of the room, what i will do is use an electric damper to close the extraction system while not using it

The set up i have right now is 4 lights (two Fluence Lec lights and 2 Dimlux LEC lights), I already have a good A/C and an excellent Dehumidifier,fans etc etc. So I guess what I need is the CO2 bottles, controller(with fuzzy logic) + regulator and tubes?

I ve been doing a lot of reading in the forum and found a lot of info regarding PPM, temp and Humidity. My main doubts come form the design if the room itself since I never worked with Co2.

As an example:

one of my doubts is how to deal with the smell inside the room and the possible leackage to the house, since the room is sealed my guess id everytime i open the door to the grow room the stink is going to be heavy?

Thats it for now, thanks for your help in advance!!!

Last edited:
some more questions

some more questions

Hi again

I´ve noticed many of you guys use a carbon filter as a scrubber to clean the air inside the room, if any of you could help with info regarding this?

the room itself meassures around 30 Cubic Metres, what size filter and fan would you guys recommend? would it be best to put two smaller filters+ fans instead of one bigger unit? what would be the best place it7them?

this is the controller + sensor and valves i will be getting for the set up.
http://www.ecotechnics.co.uk/evolution_co2_full_kit.htm

MedFaced

You can help manage odor, but there is no way to get rid of it. I run a tent in one of my bedrooms and it doesn’t stink using a carbon filter, but once those tent flaps open the filters become useless.

Exhaust fans in the US are rated for cubic feet per minute or CFM. I look for fans that have a cfm rating 3x the size of the space I want to exhaust. Then you purchase a carbon filter specific to the cfm of your fan.

Best place is up high. Exhaust up and out. The exhausted air will be masked very well. Regardless, every time you open up your grow space, plan for the house stinking up a little.

Not to piss in your Cheerios, I’d not worry about CO2. It works for sure, but for the majority of home growers, the cost and management aren’t worth the gains.

Bobby Boucher

S&P TD-Silent series inline exhaust fans.

Very quiet. Those standard blowers are way too mf'ing loud. I'd complain too if I lived below somebody who was using one of those

As far as smell goes, you could try growing a less smelly strain. My lavender doesn't skunk out at all. Smells more like a flower garden than a dope grow. I only ever bust out the carbon filters when I'm drying and trimming.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
The link for your controller doesn’t work on my end.

Couple months ago I bought a new exhaust fan and I am extremely impressed with it. I can literally stand right next to it and not hear it running. That’s with a max speed of 6 - it can go to 10, where it can be heard but it’s still very quiet. Great set point options for heat/humidity and fan speed. It ramps up to a max speed setting, and then down when in target range.

Here’s the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...l62MShBzO7bpmPYlz8jMA&hsa_cr_id=2946535520901

I understand the reasons you want to seal up and introduce CO2, which you will need to do in a sealed room, but it might be more cost effective to continue as you are but with newer (quieter) fans. And you might want to consider how much air you’re moving through your carbon filter, because it is possible to exhaust too fast, not allowing the filter a chance to most effectively do its job.

Exhaust fans in the US are rated for cubic feet per minute or CFM. I look for fans that have a cfm rating 3x the size of the space I want to exhaust. Then you purchase a carbon filter specific to the cfm of your fan.

Best place is up high. Exhaust up and out. The exhausted air will be masked very well. Regardless, every time you open up your grow space, plan for the house stinking up a little.

Hi there! thanks for your reply,so for what I see same rules aply as if i was filtering the air to exhaust it outside the room?what i mean is filtering the air inside the room without allowing it out, still want to build a totally sealed room

St. Phatty

A truly SEALED room is a great experiment if you're getting paid by NASA to do experiments for the ISS.

But if you're growing for personal meds or commercial, plants do better with ventilation.

I tried building a 4x4x4 cube once, 2 of them actually. Then clamped them together & grew in a Public Storage place.

One of them had a glass top, with a 400 watt HPS over that.

Got some decent personal use bud out of it. I used fermenting sugar water as the CO2 source.

A lot of work for a small amount of Herb.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with Shmavis. Especially the bit about can sizing. Oversize is better.

What is your current sizing for fan and filter?

Drop That Sound

Spray foam and then fiberglass with a nice coat of white boat paint on the whole inside of the room for the ultimate insulated cleanable sealed room. The fumes from the resin curing will really give the neighbor something to b$%&* about and probably cover up the smell for awhile too ;)

And ya you can simply hook a filter to a fan and set it in the room to scrub the air.

You don't need to get too fancy really just build a box and insulate the fan for now if you aren't sealed, especially if its more of a hum than the actual exhaust sound.

You can build an exhaust muffler by using a rigid metal duct pipe that is an inch or 2 bigger in diameter than the current ducting, and use that 1-2" rippled foam padding stuff, like in a mattress topper, etc to line it with.

Also 2 fans on a speed controller turned down are more silent and move the same amount of air as one turned up, or even a bigger one turned down. You could hook 2 filters up as well with the air moving slower through both and doing a better job.

MedFaced

Hi there! thanks for your reply,so for what I see same rules aply as if i was filtering the air to exhaust it outside the room?what i mean is filtering the air inside the room without allowing it out, still want to build a totally sealed room

Got it. We placed extra filters/fans outside of the sealed room as well as tubs of Ona. Basically built rooms inside of a room. In the sealed room we exhausted out with a timer/controller that would shut off while CO2 was released, in the dummy/veg room we had the extra fans/filters and that Ona stuff.

I have an a/c infinity fan as well. They’re quieter than the can-fans for sure, but lessor quality imo.

Asslover

Veteran
If you don’t want to waste co2 and let smell out then get rid of that intake/exhaust. Seal the room completely, no air in or out. You place a scrubber with a muffler on it in the room.
Anything short of no air in or out is NOT a sealed room...

Got it. We placed extra filters/fans outside of the sealed room as well as tubs of Ona. Basically built rooms inside of a room. In the sealed room we exhausted out with a timer/controller that would shut off while CO2 was released, in the dummy/veg room we had the extra fans/filters and that Ona stuff.

I have an a/c infinity fan as well. They’re quieter than the can-fans for sure, but lessor quality imo.

Yep already ordered Ona gel and a small exhaust for whatever odors I might get inside the house.
So, for what i gather you do vent every now and then your room?

If you don’t want to waste co2 and let smell out then get rid of that intake/exhaust. Seal the room completely, no air in or out. You place a scrubber with a muffler on it in the room.
Anything short of no air in or out is NOT a sealed room...

That is the plan, althought and since i have already the exhaust system already in place i am going to shut down just the way out with a damper that i can open/close as I need in case of major problem

What is your current sizing for fan and filter?

Hi mate I ve just see this: As a fan I use a RVK 150 L2 (720 cubic meter per hour) and as a filer I have a Can filter(can lite 6" 600 CFM)
The room is almost 30 cubic meters, is that ok to use as scruber inside the room? I could probably also use two smaller filter and fan that way i could share beeter the cleaned air??

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How old is the filter?

Not great at conversions but your fan/filter seem appropriately sized.

Fan box/muffler will kill some noise and a secondary filter should help the smell.

Question regarding tubing and using splitters for CO2

Question regarding tubing and using splitters for CO2

Hi guys i got a few total CO2 noob questions regarding tubing my room to deliver the CO2 to the plants best way possible.

I´ve found this Titan Controls Rain system laser drilled tubes that I like.

https://growershouse.com/titan-controls-co2-rain-system#

They come on 7 foot rolls, with that you suposse to make a circle that covers 1,20 mtrs and attach it the ceiling (a circle above each lamp), thats how it creates this CO2 rain effect over the plants.
I know i could probably find cheaper ways to build something similar, but it is my first CO2 system build and I do not want to have to go nuts over it, this is ready made and the fact that its drilled all over is something i like.it is easy to install and the circle thing makes more sense to me as a way to deliver the CO2 that a straight line over the center of your plants

This means that I need 4 of these circles and I need to find a way to split from the tank/regulator to each of the circled tubes, doing a search I´ve found two solutions,and I need help to see if any of both would work.

One of the spitters i ve found is used regulary in Bars so a CO2 tank can feed a few beer barrels at the same time:

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Weekend-Brewer-distribuidor-colector-CO2/dp/B01MTR6V6A/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&keywords=Output%20Splitters%20For%20CO2%20Regulators&language=en_US&qid=1578008455&sr=8-32

The other one is made for fish tanks.

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/4-way-splitter-for-co2-solenoid-regulator-p120.html

Could any of this two splitters work?

Also, another noob question, since i am building 4 lines out of my CO2 tank, do they need to be equal in lenght? question comes from not being sure if different meassures could affect the CO2.s pressure???

Many thanks once again!!

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

People put too much thought into how they are going to disperse their co2. Even without a circulation fan, co2 doesn't just sit and clump the way people imagine. It mixes with the surrounding air in a pretty expeditious manner. Factor in all the air circulation someone has in a growroom.. and boom.

Just an old growers myth.

Even if you were growing in a big ass warehouse, you could just add more fans and disperse your co2 from a single outlet or burner.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm with Bobby on this one.

One or two sources for your CO2 and use a fan to disperse it around.

You're going to need fans on anyways otherwise the CO2 will eventually collect on the floor as it is heavier than the air we breathe.

I think the myth got started when folks watched CO2 fog roll around. The fog is visible and a LOT heavier than regular CO2 gas. In a perfectly stagnant environment, the CO2 as a gas will fall to the floor and collect. But any air movement will stir it up.

Bobby Boucher

I think that kind of stratification is only measurable on a much larger scale. Much like the Coriolis effect has no measurable effect on a toilet boil.

It's true that co2 is heavier than air, but the atmospheric pressure differentials between the top and bottom of your room aren't large enough to create any measurable effect. At least, that's my understanding of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If left undisturbed, CO2 does sink lower to the ground than oxygen, although they both form separate exponential profiles (it's not like the bottom half of a volume is 100% CO2 while the top half is 100% oxygen - they both have distributions that tail off exponentially with height

ie, there will be more co2 on your floor than at your 10' ceiling, but not enough of a difference to warrant mention. If you were growing in a silo, there would be some issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience...2_is_heavier_than_air_why_doesnt_it_all_sink/.

Latest posts

Latest posts