What's new

Rotten stem

madalasatori

Veteran
I have an ice cream cake plant that has a severely rotten stem. It’s so bad that you could just crush it with your fingers.

For some crazy reason though, the plant is thriving and continuing to grow as normal. The actual stem however doesn’t seem to be growing or doing anything.

The rot is just above the surface of the medium.

Now it’s almost certainly going to die but I want to give it its best chance.

Should I:

A) tape around the rotten bit and add splints to protect it to prevent it from snapping under its own weight

B) put it in a bigger pot with the rotten stem beneath the surface

I know if I put it into a pot it may cause the rot to progress however I figured if it can get some roots on the main stem above the rot then it may just live.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

MagniKhan

Veteran
Keep it dry (re-pot if necessary) and spray the stem with Neem oil. Works for me here in the swamps of Florida (just to be clear I'm a indoor grower, coco-ppk).
I use Neem all over the place for two reasons, fungus gnates and stem rot/damping off.

Be Safe,
MK:ying:

therevverend

Veteran
I use rubbing alcohol to kill the fungus, then smear a salve like neosporin on it after it dries. Keep the rot above the soil line, if you bury it in soil it will rot faster. Otherwise transplanting is fine, probably a good idea to use a lighter soil mix. Use a stake to support the plant so to keep the stalk from snapping. High humidity, soil gnats, and wet, rotting soil will cause this sort of thing be sure to check for these problems.

I used to have this problem. Keeping the soil too moist is the issue. Feed your young plants from the bottom. That should help. You can also check out Organocide's Plant Doctor fungiside.

madalasatori

Veteran
Miraculously the plant survived and is now 2 weeks away from harvest! I will try ad get pics of her.

Its remarkable - the stem was completely rotten through so I strapped it up with cable ties and waitied for her to die. It seems that new stem has grown around tge rotten bit, if that makes sense? Most of it still looks rotten as hell, after all dead matter doesnt come back to life afaik

T

Teddybrae

Fusarium!

Outdoors I 've had it already (it's just summer here) and lost a plant. Too much moisture retained in the mulch of leaves. Strip off leaves. Very lightly dust hydrated lime over surface of pot to alter pH away from fungus preferred range.

Latest posts

Latest posts