What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethical Questions

slickute

1. I failed a pre-employment piss test after they had already told me I was hired.
I actually thought I might pass as I smoke less than 7 grams a month. I don't like the idea of subsititution. That's dishonest!
Should I apologize for wasting their time and find other employment? Should I insist on being tested again and sub??
Wouldn't the lab suspect subbing if it is impossible for the second test to be 100% clear so soon after the first?

2. This has been very up-front and I am exposed to my family.
My mother in law is very excited about the new job!

This is the toughest issue:

I need advice on how to discuss this with my 13 year old son???

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
This Sucks

This Sucks

I am sorry slickute

when would you need retest?
I'd at least try again.
Don't smoke and drink lots of water I heard Cranberry juice helps.

Hope someone has better advice on the testing.

I told my 10 year old when he asked what I was growing.
I told him the truth, he is very cool with it. Then he and his mom and me talked about drugs and it's fine.

I hope you try again, they want you, it's just a friken test stoping you.

slickute

Retest would be Wednesday

Retest would be Wednesday

But, without subbing I'b be sure to fail again.
It's a really great job. Kinda tragic. I was a fool not to anticipate the test. Best I could have done would have been refuse to take it. But then I wouldn't have got the job either.

The pirate in me says "go sub" and then quit smoking and/or be ready to sub anytime the random test comes around.
The old hippie in me says "Subbing is dishonest and I don't want to quit"!

My Mother-in-law and my son know I have been offered the job.
What possible excuse can I give them for not taking it. Besides just blurting out I failed the drug test?
What a tangled web... and I don't want to decieve anyone!!!
Just be my discreet old self.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
This sucks big time
I feel for you.

Perhaps your right in being honest.
I mean if your going to fail a 2nd time why waste their and your time. Talk to them perhaps they would understand. I don't know the circumstances. I worked for a Univeristy they where ok with THC.

Better to be true to yourself.
If you loose it for Cannabis then what better reason?

filter xp

They also make drinks that allow you to pass the test. I have witnessed friends smoke up the day before, successfuly drink this stuff and pass the test. You did say you wanted to avoid substiution though.

You wanna talk ethics though? You have to watch everytime you smoke up...you could be the most responsible smoker like you said...less than 7g a month. But you wont get the job because they test you.

The guy right after you could get drunk every fuckin day before work, yet he'd pass the test and get hired.

One day....one day...

G

I have a buddy passing FAA medicals right now with synthetic urine packs that he subs during the test.

He past for the last 4 years that way. It has a little temp. gage right on the side of the pouch that reads green when the temp is right. The update the formula about every 3 or 4 months to keep ahead of the testing agencies.

Pre-employment you could do something but random that would suck

Tex

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
The Truth Works Best

The Truth Works Best

:) In this short life (51 years) the hardest and most often repeated lesson I have been working on is honesty. Everytime I lie, or bend the truth I get in trouble, maybe not then, but always later... My advice, not only for honesty, but to educate your son properly, is to be honest. Tell him that marijuana is medicine, as well as a way to get "high." Teach him to be responsible with drug use, and that he should not abuse his body. Teach him the truth, it will set him free. If you are relying on the educational system, and others in your family to instill a sense of ethics, responsibility and morals, then you are missing the biggest chance you have in your life to teach some one else about truth, freedom and responsibility. And you might do a better job of it!!!
:)
Someone obviously did this for you, as you ask the right questions, so now you can pay it back, pay it forward, pay it sideways or what ever you want...
:(
I'm sad about the drug test, and wonder if you are in California? I just recently got my medical prescription to use and posess cannabis - the sherriff in Lake County told me it's for real, and not to abuse it, just use it as my medicine.
:)
Drink lots of water and cranberry juice and try again, but stay true to your beliefs, and always speak the truth. It may hurt now, but lying will stab you in the back later and it would be far worse...
;)
Meanwhile, Peace and Best Wishes,
Payaso/Chris

slickute

Payaso,
Thank you very much. I appreaciate all the fine advice, from yourself and the others. It does reinforce my current line of thinking.
Monday I will call the lab and see if they will tell me my score. If it was low or close I will try again. If I was not close to the 15ml cutoff I won't waste their time or mine.

Now I have to fiqure out what to tell my Mother-in-law?? I will probably tell her they offered me far too little money.

G

guest123

i cant believe they rate your ability to do the job on whether you take soft drugs like pot thats ludicrous ... have they outlined why it is so ?? does it make your mind stagnate , or perhaps one cant think , or needs to runoff and have a "hit ' of pot every 5 mins .. cant get up in the morn from being stoned the night before .. im guessing you live in the "free" country of america ???

slickute

Hightower and Franken

Hightower and Franken

Wallyduck,
As filterxp so cleverly pointed out. I could get raging drunk 24/7/365 and still pass the test. After all it's a free country.
And I, by choice live in the second most Republican State in the whole of the USA. Love it or leave it right? No, love it and start a revolution!!!
I read Jim Hightower's rant off at the Bush Administration,(Thieves in High Places), and I will finish Al Franken's book, (Lies), in bout twenty minutes. I 'm on the last chapter. Then it will be time for a phatty. Civil disobedience is a right, a duty and a pleasure!

Tomorrow I will find a job in the Sunday News, I am a very competent chef, (not a very good speller), there are lot's of Jobs that do not insist on piss testing in the foodservice biz. But if I can I will hold on to my respect for myself and I won't try to fool anyone with phony piss.

Roll another one.
As someone much more intelligent than me once said: Pot will get you through times with no job. Better than a job will get you through times with no pot!

SurferDudeVB

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?!?!

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?!?!

You work in the foodservice business and they gave you a piss test. Thats absurd!! I have been cooking at the same restuarant during the summer when home from school for the past 5 years never once been pissed tested and probably wont ever be. Piss testing in the food service buisiness is like piss testing at a Grateful Dead concert. Almost everyone I work with smokes and no one seems to care. The manager smokes, the head chef smokes, the line cooks smoke, the waitresses smoke, the bus boys smoke. I have even cuaght the owner and manager smoking together. And this isnt a small time restuarant owner. This guy owns about 7 restuarants in the local area. That is absurd you got tested to be a chef. I would think it would make you a better chef cuase youve got the munchies all the time. Thats what me and the line chefs always joke about. We sit and eat fries and fried shrimp and the suck as soon as they come outta the fryer.
SurferDudeVB

Hey Surferdude.......

Hey Surferdude.......

..........My friend works as waiter in a fancy retaurant on the water he said his job is like you described with every waiter/waitress manager, owner etc... all smoking at work in kitchen. Would you like some RED WINE to go along with my RED EYES sir? LMFAO:p

It just shows management's inability to judge character. Pot may be illegal, a petty misdemeanor in Minnesota, but cheating on taxes is a felony. How many businesses do that?

The only way I'd piss in a cup is if the person hiring me lays on their back and holds the cup in their mouth. I'd happily fill it.

JohnBudd

George Bush's America

George Bush's America

Welcome to the US. Where grown men have to hide, lie and sneak around to enjoy a flower, which in my mind does much more good than not.
Honesty is great, but money makes the world go round. I semi-sell my soul for 8 hours daily to enjoy my free time with wife and daughter.
I have used an additive called "Clear" more than once.....and now enjoy the job/freedom I have always wanted.
Shave your body so they can't do a hair test(just kidding?) get a good additive and get the great job man!!!
My opinion.