What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

George Floyd killing

armedoldhippy

Veteran
has anyone not seen the video besides me? just curious. BUT...i'm interested in opinions on a twist on this situation. what are your thoughts on this tragedy if participants had swapped positions? what do you see occurring if a black LEO had knelt on a white mans' throat until he died slowly in front of a crowd of angry white people? let's hear it...

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
has anyone not seen the video besides me? just curious. BUT...i'm interested in opinions on a twist on this situation. what are your thoughts on this tragedy if participants had swapped positions? what do you see occurring if a black LEO had knelt on a white mans' throat until he died slowly in front of a crowd of angry white people? let's hear it...

im confused: have you seen any of the four videos of different angles of this murder?
3 cops had George pinned while one stood guard.

Bro, man - this is a false equivelency.

white people havent been under oppression or enslavement since 1625.

it really isnt relevant to both sides this situation

none of this would even have happened had they just arrested the cops involved. thats the only thing the city asked, lock em up under charges of... anything really.

just taking chauvin into custody would have satisfied the people.

there are four civilian videos and four police videos of this event. the videos ive seen warrant at least a manslaughter charge for ofc derek chauvin whos had 4 incidents of lethal force on his resume w mpd going back to 2001

16 infractions in all

hell even klobuchar declined to prosecute the guy

the lookout guy , he's had multiple brutality reports in his career as well: kinda odd for a guy that looks hmong or SE asian is a racist cop too...

Mr. J

2 of the 4 murderer cops weren't even white. This is just more shit pushed by the media so they can get the race war they've been hoping for.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
white people havent been under oppression or enslavement since 1625.

- I beg to differ Boyd -

A new study suggests that a million or more European Christians were enslaved by Muslims in North Africa between 1530 and 1780 – a far greater number than had ever been estimated before.

In a new book, Robert Davis, professor of history at Ohio State University, developed a unique methodology to calculate the number of white Christians who were enslaved along Africa’s Barbary Coast, arriving at much higher slave population estimates than any previous studies had found.

Most other accounts of slavery along the Barbary coast didn’t try to estimate the number of slaves, or only looked at the number of slaves in particular cities, Davis said. Most previously estimated slave counts have thus tended to be in the thousands, or at most in the tens of thousands. Davis, by contrast, has calculated that between 1 million and 1.25 million European Christians were captured and forced to work in North Africa from the 16th to 18th centuries.

Davis’s new estimates appear in the book 'Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800' (Palgrave Macmillan) by Robert Davis

“Much of what has been written gives the impression that there were not many slaves and minimizes the impact that slavery had on Europe,” Davis said. “Most accounts only look at slavery in one place, or only for a short period of time. But when you take a broader, longer view, the massive scope of this slavery and its powerful impact become clear.”

Davis said it is useful to compare this Mediterranean slavery to the Atlantic slave trade that brought black Africans to the Americas.

Over the course of four centuries, the Atlantic slave trade was much larger – about 10 to 12 million black Africans were brought to the Americas. But from 1500 to 1650, when trans-Atlantic slaving was still in its infancy, more white Christian slaves were probably taken to Barbary than black African slaves to the Americas, according to Davis.

“One of the things that both the public and many scholars have tended to take as given is that slavery was always racial in nature – that only blacks have been slaves. But that is not true,” Davis said.

“We cannot think of slavery as something that only white people did to black people.”

During the time period Davis studied, it was religion and ethnicity, as much as race, that determined who became slaves.

“Enslavement was a very real possibility for anyone who travelled in the Mediterranean, or who lived along the shores in places like Italy, France, Spain and Portugal, and even as far north as England and Iceland,” he said.

Pirates (called corsairs) from cities along the Barbary Coast in north Africa – cities such as Tunis and Algiers – would raid ships in the Mediterranean and Atlantic, as well as seaside villages to capture men, women and children. The impact of these attacks were devastating – France, England, and Spain each lost thousands of ships, and long stretches of the Spanish and Italian coasts were almost completely abandoned by their inhabitants. At its peak, the destruction and depopulation of some areas probably exceeded what
European slavers would later inflict on the African interior.

Although hundreds of thousands of Christian slaves were taken from Mediterranean countries, Davis noted, the effects of Muslim slave raids was felt much further away: it appears, for example, that through most of the 17th century the English lost at least 400 sailors a year to the slavers.

Even Americans were not immune. For example, one American slave reported that 130 other American seamen had been enslaved by the Algerians in the Mediterranean and Atlantic just between 1785 and 1793.

Davis said the vast scope of slavery in North Africa has been ignored and minimized, in large part because it is on no one’s agenda to discuss what happened.

The enslavement of Europeans doesn’t fit the general theme of European world conquest and colonialism that is central to scholarship on the early modern era, he said. Many of the countries that were victims of slavery, such as France and Spain, would later conquer and colonize the areas of North Africa where their citizens were once held as slaves. Maybe because of this history, Western scholars have thought of the Europeans primarily as “evil colonialists” and not as the victims they sometimes were, Davis said.

Davis said another reason that Mediterranean slavery has been ignored or minimized has been that there have not been good estimates of the total number of people enslaved. People of the time – both Europeans and the Barbary Coast slave owners – did not keep detailed, trustworthy records of the number of slaves. In contrast, there are extensive records that document the number of Africans brought to the Americas as slaves.

So Davis developed a new methodology to come up with reasonable estimates of the number of slaves along the Barbary Coast. Davis found the best records available indicating how many slaves were at a particular location at a single time. He then estimated how many new slaves it would take to replace slaves as they died, escaped or were ransomed.

“The only way I could come up with hard numbers is to turn the whole problem upside down – figure out how many slaves they would have to capture to maintain a certain level,” he said. “It is not the best way to make population estimates, but it is the only way with the limited records available.”

Putting together such sources of attrition as deaths, escapes, ransoming's, and conversions, Davis calculated that about one-fourth of slaves had to be replaced each year to keep the slave population stable, as it apparently was between 1580 and 1680. That meant about 8,500 new slaves had to be captured each year. Overall, this suggests nearly a million slaves would have been taken captive during this period. Using the same methodology, Davis has estimated as many as 475,000 additional slaves were taken in the previous and following centuries.

The result is that between 1530 and 1780 there were almost certainly 1 million and quite possibly as many as 1.25 million white, European Christians enslaved by the Muslims of the Barbary Coast.
Davis said his research into the treatment of these slaves suggests that, for most of them, their lives were every bit as difficult as that of slaves in America.

“As far as daily living conditions, the Mediterranean slaves certainly didn’t have it better,” he said.

While African slaves did gruelling labour on sugar and cotton plantations in the Americas, European Christian slaves were often worked just as hard and as lethally – in quarries, in heavy construction, and above all rowing the corsair galleys themselves.
Davis said his findings suggest that this invisible slavery of European Christians deserves more attention from scholars.

“We have lost the sense of how large enslavement could loom for those who lived around the Mediterranean and the threat they were under,” he said. “Slaves were still slaves, whether they are black or white, and whether they suffered in America or North Africa.”

https://news.osu.edu/when-europeans...as-much-more-common-than-previously-believed/

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
gypsy, this is (was) the USA.
we were founded by puritans - british (and a small contingent of dutch) protestants so conservative and unpopular in england and western europe, they fled to jamestown.

yall didnt like them either and they were persecuted enough to bail!

they brought with them their uniquely british form of racism
and after stealing from and killing the indigenous
started importing slaves as well.

we owe everything in this republic to those colonists.
this super rightwing capitalism is baked into the very fabric of this country bro

I cant relate to slavery in the mediteranean basin bro and its not relevant here in this thread as i can see it.
it is a fascinating topic that perhaps needs its own thread tho.

this one heres bout did you see the video(s) and (maybe not intentional) bothsideisms of aoh

i say that because #mealteamsix neckbeard div.1st rifle company didnt have tear gas and rubber bullets fired on them in the capitol building the week before. when they were armed and suited up.

bothsideisms isnt going to divert attention away from cops who need to be in custody right now.

its literally all they asked, "arrest him now, we'll go home" is the second most common chant from any of these protesters footage (#1 no justice no peace no racist police)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes Boyd - I know the history of the bloody colonization of the America's - when England had the reformation - made worshiping the Holy Roman Emporer (Pope) illegal - and treated the Catholics like wanted criminals - forcing them to convert to The Church of England - or flee - or be killed - because Henry the VIII was so pissed off at the Pope for not sanctioning his divorce from Catherine of Aragon - that he formed his own style of Christianity - to control the people with (The Church of England) - So many fundamentalist Christians crossed the Atlantic to settle in the new world - and many followed, thousands of them caucasians in indentured servitude (a form of slavery) - from these shores -

- All Abrahamic religions have had their slaves over the centuries - the Christians - the Jews - and the Muslims - for they are all supremacist and racist religious ideologies - that think they are better in some way or another from other men/women - just because they pray to a particular god - that others do not - The Muslims still practice and promote slavery to this day - since their prophet Mohammed was a slaver/warlord - and is considered perfect in Islamic eyes - so many Muslims follow his lead - even here in the UK with their grooming gangs preying on white English girl children - by the thousands - who they trap and sexually enslave -

- Like I have said in another thread on this topic - humans are still tribal - to a lessor or greater degree - and tribes go to war - because they can't live with each other without expressing their barbarity to each other - or even amongst themselves -

- Take a look at the violent crime statistics by race - in the USA and the UK - and you might see something there that gives you a big clue as to why this whole debacle - could light the fuse of an enormous race war in the USA - and the UK - and throughout Europe -

gypsy, this is (was) the USA.
we were founded by puritans - british (and a small contingent of dutch) protestants so conservative and unpopular in england and western europe, they fled to jamestown.

yall didnt like them either and they were persecuted enough to bail!

they brought with them their uniquely british form of racism
and after stealing from and killing the indigenous
started importing slaves as well.

we owe everything in this republic to those colonists.
this super rightwing capitalism is baked into the very fabric of this country bro

I cant relate to slavery in the mediteranean basin bro and its not relevant here in this thread as i can see it.
it is a fascinating topic that perhaps needs its own thread tho.

this one heres bout did you see the video(s) and (maybe not intentional) bothsideisms of aoh

i say that because #mealteamsix neckbeard div.1st rifle company didnt have tear gas and rubber bullets fired on them in the capitol building the week before. when they were armed and suited up.

bothsideisms isnt going to divert attention away from cops who need to be in custody right now.

its literally all they asked, "arrest him now, we'll go home" is the second most common chant from any of these protesters footage (#1 no justice no peace no racist police)

h.h.

Veteran

White or black, I think I’d be on the ground with a taser attached to me. How can anybody watch somebody die like that without stepping forward?

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That murderer had his knee on Mr Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds,but the worse part is for the last 2 minutes and 53 seconds the victim was non responsive.
How the fuck is that not an intentional murder

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- premeditated murder I reckon - the cop worked with the guy he killed - historical animosity -

That murderer had his knee on Mr Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds,but the worse part is for the last 2 minutes and 53 seconds the victim was non responsive.
How the fuck is that not an intentional murder

St. Phatty

that's exactly what happened on 9-11

except it was 2900 Gentiles that were sacrificed

by Israel.

Americans are stupid enough not to realize, they ARE George Floyd.

igrowone

Veteran
Saw a video on Twitter from a US news channel, apparently they knew each other, they had worked the door together at some club 17 years ago.
had not seen this
damn! defense on this charge looking mighty thin
i feeling a jury selection that will not deliver a surprise verdict
however, you never know what new info will pop

Badfishy1

http://archive.is/RLGj6

-Dies from strangulation
-no signs of asphyxiation

Pretty interesting for sure. Also interesting to see the cities being burned to the ground are financially stressed cities. Declare ‘state of emergency’, stick hand out for sweet taxpayer Benjamins, rinse and repeat waiting for next divide and conquer viral video. When all else fails blame drumpf

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Watching and filming a guy get murdered for the YouTube bucks while not stopping it. Wish people would ignore colour on this one. Cops murdered a man, witnesses wanted to cash in. Sickening.

Latest posts

Latest posts