What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Preservation of an Afghani Landrace from 25 year old seeds

TheHatman

picture.php

INDEX

[Last Update: 2020-03-06]

>> Prolog
>> 1st Chapter: The Purity - An old Afghan Landrace
>> 2nd Chapter: There´s life in the dog! - The Germination Process
>> 3rd Chapter: Leap into the Life (Part I) - The Beginning of the Growth
>> 3rd Chapter: Leap into Life (Part II) - Your Support Methods
>> 3rd Chapter: Leap into Life (Part III) - From living Dead to living Beings
>> 4th Chapter: Tour de Cannabis - Race of the Growing Oldskool Afghanicas (coming soon)

PROLOG!

Hello everybody on IC, hello friends of cannabis!!
Before I explain, what this report is about, a few introductory words: Until now, I was exclusively active in a german forum.
Now I want to break down (my) borders to see whats going on in the whole world of cannabis. Thats the reason why I registered on IC.

I haven´t had enough time or I was too lazy… but now I gave me a kick to show and tell you what I do for long years.
Now its day X (do you say it in this way in english?!) :)
Because I think it's important to know a little bit about the breeder and its philosophy, a few words about me first: I am a hatman!
Stop: The Hatman (the one and only) ;-) I grew up in Berlin (west) in Germany, best place to be when you´re a german indoor grower.

I´m almost 40 years old and 27 from it I´m breeding cannabis, and I´m doing that with much love. First I had my first footsteps with
growing sunflowers. But when I was 12 years old, I popped my first cannabis seeds - ohh I love this beautiful Afghani leafs

since I was this young boy. By the way I didn´t smoke weed these days :)

So, since mid of 90s I´m a breeder of passion. I would say I´m more addicted to breeding then to smoking weed, so I always
mess around with genetics - you know what I mean ;-)

My preference in cannabis genetics is to work with pure varieties (especially landrace strains) or very stable IBLs.
My big goal is to preserve my (and other) oldschool landraces and its maximum of genetic variation. Based on this I´m working on

a few killer IBLs the next years (but I tell you more about in another thread I´ve planned). Great F1 hybrids, are okay when they are special.
But I´m not a fan of these multihybrids with names like „Megablast 10XL THC-Tsunami X nuklear-bomb-resin“ as well as feminized or auto.

But everybody have to do what to do. I prefer to work with genetics which I own for decades, because I know that they are pure bred.
Seldom I buy new genetics unless its the real deal: pure bred, rare and especially very old genetics with a detailed breeding biography
(if you still find sth. like that today?!).

picture.php

Photo: That´s me :D

The main focus has been on my original Afghani Landrace that I gave the name Oldschool Afghanica (I´ll decribe this variety in the next chapter).
Then I preserve oldschool Skunk genetics with its spicey, cheeze and garlic flavours (I´ll do an open pollination this winter and want to do

a separate thread here on IC). The third line is a brazilian variety - a very soft sativa, that makes you awake and creativity.

With all strains I do my breeding work (sometimes in a small or big style) since 90s: selecting and developing lines, then messed up
lines and making other great. It is like it is: a long friendship with many ups and downs :)
You´re already noticed that I like to write. So, if you don´t like to read, you have to scroll down until you get arthritis :lol:

You: „Ok you really write much hatman, but what the heck the report is about?!
Me: „It´s about how I preserved this Oldschool Afghanica from 25 year old seeds. In a couple of chapters I want to show you:

how I made it germinate; how the plants fighted for survival. This is a retrospective report, that means the variety is saved long ago.

Puh! And now I want to show you the way how I preserved it.

In between, I explain my methods and theory for open pollination, seed maturation and breeding and much more.“

I hope you´ll enjoy my thread. I´m trying to be informative as well as relaxed. Could be there is a funny pic in between a chapter,
cause it should be easy for you to stay tune. ;-)
I´m looking forward to your questions, hints or constructive critics. We all are on our way to learn more and more. Errors must be
revised and methods always can be improved. And controversy always has to be discussed!!

Finally,
I´ve to appologize for the grammatical errors and for writing wrong words. As a german guy I´m not so well versed in writing english, so be lenient. Please correct me, if necessary. Maybe sometimes I need more time before posting a chapter. Many thanx for your understanding.

I´m really looking forward to you and your participation in every way!
Soon I will start with chapter 1. It´s about pure varieties and I introduce my Oldschool Afghani

Greetings to ALL,
The Hatman
:tiphat:

picture.php

Last edited:

UFOpilot

Hello Mr.Hatman.I'm looking forward for your stories and how you do your breeding.
And your English is OK.It doesn't have to be 100% correct.As long as we know what you mean:)

gorilla ganja

You need 50 posts before you can edit your posts and send private messages.
Heads up. Trading and sending seeds is not allowed on the public forums, so you should keep such talk private.
Your English is better than mine and I have been speaking it all my life. So no worries there.

Very exciting story, looking forward to hearing more of your adventures with old landrace strains .

Peace GG

TheHatman

High guys,
Thanks for your interest! I´m glad that you´ve come here! *party*
*I´ll put a bowl of Afghani on the table for you* :joint:

The next days I´ll

TheHatman

The next days I´ll
ohh you see.. it would be much better when I finally get

that I can edit my posts.

Taking a seat. Great intro by the way!
Welcome Dany!! Nice to hear that you like the intro!!

Welcome to you all others. Great to see you. :)

I like to much the old genetics
#metoo :D

Most of varieties today are all the same shit..
Like this: [(a x b) x (c x a)] x [{e x (b x f)} x d x a]

=D

Your English is better than mine
As long as we know what you mean:)
Thanks! I´m very glad you understand me. I use google for words I don´t know (it´s not unusual isn´t it? :D )

trading and sending seeds is not allowed on the public forums
Thanks for say it. That will not happen.

The next days I´ll post the first Chapter that´s about the old Afghanica.

See you later !!

KITCHA

Veteran
If your Afghanica has leaves like in your first post I'm all ears! Found something similar recently in a Chem91 cross that has a recessive Ghani trait and love it!

TheHatman

If your Afghanica has leaves like in your first post I'm all ears! Found something similar recently in a Chem91 cross that has a recessive Ghani trait and love it!

Welcome to my thread KITCHA :)
Yes, the photo of the leaf in my first post is taken from one of my oldschool afghanica plants. Currently I have open pollinated this genetics in a second run.

There are a few phenotypes/genotypes in relation to the leafs, the color and growth traits. Next to a thinner one, and one with double jags, there is one genotype that has exactly this typically afghani leaves and another with overlapping leaf fingers. By the way the narcotic body effect is the same at all types.

It is common for landraces to have a large genetically variation. My primary goal is to preserve this variation. The project after that deals with breeding one or two IBL including the wide leaf pheno.

TheHatman

picture.php

On this photo, I made this day, you can see two of phenotypes (I just grow these ones for my cats as cat grass :biggrin:). But I don´t want to say more, because first I want to show you, how I rescued the variety from this very old seeds ;-)

I´ll post the next chapter these days about the traits of my affie. Stay tuned :)

greets
hatman

TheHatman

Awesome! Have you ever bred the skunk and afghan together?
oh I love it :)

Yes, I played a lot with this genetics in the last 20 years. The affie harmonizes well with all types of my old lines of skunk.

I´m going to report it in another thread I´ll start in january or february 2020.

Greets,
hatman