What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Way to Vent Heat to Keep Temps Low?

Apologies for the awkwardly worded title, and, the search results I found weren't any help...so...

Here's the set up:
3ft x 4 ft grow space with a 3X3 flood table. The space is approx4 ft high.

400W HPS worth dimmable ballast

Dayton exhaust fan. 120ish CFM running constantly.

The ambient temp inside the space is 80-85 with the light on.

Up in the canopy, the temp is in the high 90's.

The reflector is a "W" shape with a sheet of tempered glass in place.

There is a 1 inch gap between the glass and the reflector on the sides, and a 4 inch hole in the rear of the reflector.

The fan is in the space and sucking ambient air from near the reflector's 4inch 'exit' hole, and then blowing out a 4 inch duct to the attic.

What options would be the most effective for helping to lower the heat:
1) Connecting the fan intake directly to the hood.

2) Putting fan in the attic and running inlet hose down to reflector.

3) Turning the 400W down to 75% and running at 300W. ( I like the light close to the plant due to an unreasonable fear of losing a couple lumens cuz inverse law thingee.)

I'm trying to tweak and optimize my set up and the heat has always been an issue in this spot. And I'm sucking up a lot of my expensive AC'ed air and blowing it into the attic. Is there a reasonable thermostat I could use for the fan?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well dropping to 300 has obvious repercussions, and extracting through the shade with a little more certainty to. You could also insulate the top of the shade with rockwool? to stop heat escaping that way.

You know you need a $150 240w QB though.

Edit: It's possible that extracting right off the roof could help. Hot air rises. So ducting positioned to just 'shlurp at the coffee' can be a lot better than 6" lower.
Water cooled lol

Well dropping to 300 has obvious repercussions, and extracting through the shade with a little more certainty to. You could also insulate the top of the shade with rockwool? to stop heat escaping that way.

You know you need a $150 240w QB though.

Edit: It's possible that extracting right off the roof could help. Hot air rises. So ducting positioned to just 'shlurp at the coffee' can be a lot better than 6" lower.
Water cooled lol

Yep, I'm afraid that the yield would take a hit with the lower light power, but I wonder if moving the light far enough away to keep the temps OK would be sufficient with casing as much of a yield decrease.

You sort of summed up what I was asking- it it better to vent the heat at the top of the room ( my thermometer showed the ceiling area above the light to be just slight over the ambient temps. I was actually surprised by that.), or is it better to connect to the hood and vent it...

I also wonder which reflector would give the best compromise between coverage and being easy to vent.
Do the cool kids still use the cool tube designs?