What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mama / Clone room advice

VI-guy

I am getting a basement setup underway pretty quickly and am looking for some advice as to how to best lay it out.

Going one room at a time so far, I am a big fan of utilizing vertical space where possible.

My mama / propagation room will be 40" x 6ft x 7ft 4in high.

The plan is to Have the bottom 2/3 so 58" be the home for my bonsai mamas, I will have a single 400 watt m/h in an air cooled reflector mounted to the bottom of a shelf. I will also supplement the spectrum / lumens with a few corncob LED lights as I got a smoking deal on some that are 45 watt / 5000k / 5400 lumen, so I think 4 of these in the bottom section as well should give plenty of light to keep my mama's happy. Im hoping to be able to keep 12-15 of my favorite strains/phenos
and whatever I'm not currently flowering I will keep taking clones from the others as I maintain their size / health and supply some friends.

My goal is to be able to keep my own genetic stockpile somewhat, as I find favorites.. The intention is to take a cutting of each strain / pheno that comes into my possession, keep a mama in the chamber and flower off the cuttings, keeping the best of the best.
Over time this should provide a nice stock pile of ready to go ladies.

How much light do I really need to keep bonsai mamas thriving and producing cuttings? in 16 sqft of floor space?

Also with an air cooled reflector and only a 400 watt bulb, I've got a feeling I may be able to have another shelf above with the same.
Another 400, and more mamas (Call it the apartment upstairs)

Obviously some experimenting will have to happen, fortunately a laser thermometer, PAR meter and a few other tools will be part of the kit shortly.

I'd love to see any examples of other folks mama / propagation rooms that they're willing to share.

Cheers

I like t5’s for small veg areas and t12’s for clones/keeping small plants (plus they are cheap). Less heat to deal with. I’m sure you get could a similar effect with some of the smaller led panels out there.

Latest posts

Latest posts