What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sunshine powered grow

VI-guy

So my partner and I have been preparing for the outdoor grow season, aquiring a few diffrent strains, we have 50 white rhino, 50 blueberry, 25 and 30 of a couple other strains I cant think of at the moment

I constructed a veg room in the shop, approx 8 x 4 by 5ft high.
scrap 2x4 framing and some black and white poly.

Currently I only have a single 400 watt mh over the table, I will be getting another very soon as well as supplementing with cfl's.

I plan on keeping the strongest healthiest 2 plants of each strain as mamas in veg in the bonsai style

That will ensure good clones for setting up the 3k indoor room in mid summer.

I plan on vegging in 2 or 3 gal pots under 24 hr light, until first week of july and then transplanting into 5 - 10 gal pots when we put them outdoors.

The photo period diffrential should force flowering, the rhino is done at 63 days, the blueberry at 65 to 70

So hopefully everything will finish mid to late sept.

I will post a few pics of the babies and veg room soon.

The rhinos were cut 2 weeks ago and have scince been put in beer cups with holes drilled for drainage

the others should be showing roots in the next week.

on you mark get set gro

H

hulkbogan

Much better strategy than you previous idea.

Only thing I would change is the transplant into bigger buckets as soon as you put them outside. You don't want to be up potting into a bigger container when the plants are starting to flower. It will slow them down and they won't finnish on time. I would put them outside in the containers they are already in.

I'll keep my eye on this one :)

VI-guy

So should i transplant early into 5 gals and flower in them? dont have room to veg that many plants indoors in 10's?

VI-guy

So I expanded the veg room to accomodate the successes we've had with the clones.
It is now about 13ft by 6ft x 5.5ft high. with two 400w metal halide, and will be four once the girls get a little bigger and more spread out.

The first batch of clones (white rhino) were put into cups about 2 weeks ago and most are thriving, there are a few slow ones but that is to be expected.

I just put 15 of the second batch that had rooted into cups tonight and they are a mix of blueberry and another strain I cant think of the name at the moment.

The clones we'rent doing too well for a few days and then I realized that the lid of the dome was askew and it was losing moisture. new lid and some tlc and they are back to good health.

A few pics of the veg room, I apogize for the quality as the pics were taken with my blackberry and the ballasts affect the camera.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

H

hulkbogan

The polecat is great and will finnish in time. You can put those out in June and they should be done late sept.

VI-guy

Girls are doing good, I decide to put 4 of the bigger sized 8-12" ones into my mini cab and flower them off early get a nice taste of whats to come and some curing practice.

I started pinching/supercropping today just about 10 plants as an experiment, wait a bit and see how that goes.

will post some more pics in a few days.

I am feeding every second watering with General, Floragro, floramicro, florabloom 3, 2, 1 tsp respectivley per gallon.

Can anyone recommend how soon I should be transplanting up to 1 or two gallon pots?

Last edited:

VI-guy

Also I am running into the dilemma, that scince I am going to veg indoors until july, I would Imagine these girls are going to get quite large, I think the biggest I could fit them all in my room would be in 1-2 gallon pots. and I intend to transplant them into 5 gallon pots when I move them outdoors, will that set them back that much if its very careful gentle transplant?

VI-guy

So I went and did some maintence in the garden today, watered, fed, transplanted 8 of the biggest plants, and not to soon either, they seemed to be not growing as rapidly as they were before, and when I pulled it out of the cup it was pretty clear why.

I put another 25 blueberry clones into dirt, and took 25 cuts of blueberry and polecat to keep the domes full.

Sold off some of the rhino dude to fears about its lack of tolerance for rain, and generally not being a great outdoor plant in this area anyway.

Though I will keep 25 or so, and plant them under trees where they will get less sun, but hopefully get less rain too, they are more of an experiment anyway.

Also did a good pyretherine bombing after I noticed some spots on new leaves, hopefully this will end the little bug issue.

Heres a few new pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

H

hulkbogan

Is that dirt on the ground? I would poly the ground if you can, and keep bombing them with neem or something to kill the mites even after they look like they are gone.. they will come back .. we have evil mites on the island.

i would use the double potting method that BOG recomends in his book BONANZA OF GREEN the plants dont get any stress from this method!!!!!!!!!i use this method all the time and it has NEVER slowed any of my ladies just my 2 pennies drelow51\50

mites suck time for a pyrethin bomb them neen oil from then on and u should be good to go ...i spay the neem eveen if i no longer see bugs anymore better safe then sorry

VI-guy

Update update update....

Well it's been a while scince I posted so I figured I would let you guy's know how things are going.

The White Rhinos are getting huge, I have been pretty agressive with pinching, with the hopes of having really bushy plants and it seems to be paying off so far.

The Blueberries and Polecat are a few weeks behind due to the order that we recieved our clones.

I had some ph issues when I forgot to lime the promix for the first couple waterings. but have scince dealt with the issue.

The weather here on the island is starting to freak me out, as our summers can be pretty unpredictable. Last year was epic, but if things don't start shaping up it could be a bummer.

With that in mind I am constructing a greenhouse for the rhinos, scince they are late finishers and dont like being wet. the roof will be 6mm poly which will let in enough light if the weather get bad, also this will give me the option to throw a black tarp over the whole greenhouse and light er up to supplament. also the roof will be easily removable on sunny days to allow full light.

I don't have my hopes too high for the weather but at least this should give some decent harvest if summer sucks.

My partner has decided in his infinent wisdom to put a bunch of plants out already, so we will see how that goes for him, hopefully he doesn't get too eager and put anymore out.

Lastly, If you remember a few weeks ago, I put 4 of the runty white rhinos into the cfl cab to flower off just for fun and to get an Idea of the product.

They are budding along pretty quickly, and I have started tying them.

Pics to follow

Cheers