What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sow seed, seed in a shot glass or wet paper towel?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
For every experienced grower who has great success sowing directly into medium there are hundreds of newbs who will fail.

I advise scuffing, soaking, paper towel under plastic until they throw off the shell then bury the bottom 2/3s in damp media.

I do it this way still myself, hundreds every year, and I don't lose any "amazing keepers" this way to the pathogens in the notoriously contaminated paper towel underworld.

MintyMick

I’ve used the paper towel, sterile water soak and the straight into soil method. I get pretty close to 100% with all of them , unless I do some dumbshit thing like break a taproot with some tweezers, or overwater a bean popped into some soil, or let them drown while floating in water because I forgot.

The methods all work. My personal favorite method is to drop it about 1 cm under the soil in a half filled solo cup, or small pot/container, that’s what I do in the wild of my only somewhat sterile indoor grow.

And that’s just like, my opinion, man.

And I mainly like that method because I’m lazy, and the only additional step I need is to fill the cup up a bit more with soil as the seedling stretches...

So just like the other methods, it’s the right one, just like the others are also correct.

It’s more of a personal preference regarding what the fuck works best for each person.

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I’ve used the paper towel, sterile water soak and the straight into soil method. I get pretty close to 100% with all of them , unless I do some dumbshit thing like break a taproot with some tweezers, or overwater a bean popped into some soil, or let them drown while floating in water because I forgot.

The methods all work. My personal favorite method is to drop it about 1 cm under the soil in a half filled solo cup, or small pot/container, that’s what I do in the wild of my only somewhat sterile indoor grow.

And that’s just like, my opinion, man.

And I mainly like that method because I’m lazy, and the only additional step I need is to fill the cup up a bit more with soil as the seedling stretches...

So just like the other methods, it’s the right one, just like the others are also correct.

It’s more of a personal preference regarding what the fuck works best for each person.

View Image
You win One Internet.

I've tried just about everything mentioned in here. But I'm a busy/lazy fuck and will drown a fish or dry him out like a Ritz Cracker. So at this point in my life, the only thing that works for me (near 100%) is:
Soak/Paper Towel-->Peat Pot/soil-->Water in the bottom tray. I just keep water in it. No measuring necessary. I can't even imagine watering 500 seedlings manually.

I'm rolling the dice on Blumat for my 2 tiny indoor plants.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Thanks all for the input,
Now I'm wondering of cantainer and size for them.
On hand i have Peat pots. And 4 or 5 inch plastic containers, Would that be to big?

In the past I've started seed in peat pots they are about 6 oz if filled with liquid I'm guessing, and just transplanted the cup whole into a bigger container, the roots grew through the peat. And i didn't bother trying to pop the plant out first

Thanks again yall

mexweed

Veteran
I drop seeds into a glass of ph'd water and in 12-24 hours press on them to get them to sink, I leave them until they crack and the tap root appears usually within 24-48 hours, then they go tap root down into rapid rooters soaked in 1/3 strength mother earth, once the root pokes out of the bottom they go into small starter pots, never thought the paper towel thing worked too good it molds very easily especially when so many of the guides also recommend a heat mat

PDX Dopesmoker

I float the seeds on a shotglass of water until they sink and let them stay submerged for half a day, then I transfer them to a wet paper towel. When they crack and are showing like 1/4" of sprout I put them in dirt.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Tap water soak for me, seeds less then 5 years old properly
kept. Tails in 18 hours.

Paper towel method subject to air born pathogens, in my humble opinion.

Strait to medium is interesting concept, tried it a few times in
the coco with questionable results.

Soil is good, old school method.

PDX Dopesmoker

Tap water soak for me, seeds less then 5 years old properly
kept. Tails in 18 hours.

Paper towel method subject to air born pathogens, in my humble opinion.

Strait to medium is interesting concept, tried it a few times in
the coco with questionable results.

Soil is good, old school method.

I might have run into that problem once or twice, but most of the time I get near 100% sprouting. I don't mind it when the weaklings die young, I have enough seeds of my own and don't want to end up breeding a sissy plant. Better they die young than turning out to be weak to the elements in October.
But if I have a one-of-kind that needs to sprout maybe I'll play it safer in the future. I got lucky on two of those this spring using paper towels and one two years ago, but now I bred all them and they're in the "plenty to spare" category.

doams

ive got best results by putting seed straight into coco.
seed is placed on its side into little hole covered with thin layer of coco that creates a dome with no coco touching seed on upper side of seed.
just one side of seed is touching coco

seed just lie down on its side and its gently pushed into coco inside a tiny hole/dome.

important thing also is let it germ @room temps not with lights on

coz lights will warm up coco and seed will often fail to even crack. this way it pops up after 3-4 days every time unless its doa from the start.