What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Changing out all the diodes in a grow light for different spectrum

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I have a cheap Chinese LED fixture that I've never really used because the spectrum is shit. So as I was considering throwing it into the dumpster yesterday, I thought to myself that maybe I could just take out the diodes and replace them with white LEDs. That way I could use it in my mother cab.

Is it as simple as just swapping them out and calling it a day? Or will I have to replace the driver because of the different spectrum? Can I just find some diodes that have the same rating and make it a plug and play kind of scenario?

I know how to solder and stuff.

Koondense

Veteran
Can I just find some diodes that have the same rating and make it a plug and play kind of scenario?

Basically yes.
Find out what kind of driver is in the fixture(probably a constant current), what kind of wiring is there(probably combo serial+parallel).
If you know the diodes specs and find some SMD diodes with fairly similar specs, go with them and you're done.
Another way is to find out if you can put in a cob led light, should be another great option.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Cool. I only just opened it up a moment ago to begin figuring it all out. I don't see much in the way of identifiers for many things. I suppose I could now take the drivers off and see if there are markings on those.

OgDvWBh.jpg

Oh, there's also this sticker on the top:

EFmVFKk.jpg

...but that doesn't tell me much. So I'll look through the old eBay orders and see if I can find this thing. Maybe there were specs. :dunno:

Latest posts

Latest posts