What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MMA bouts and punches to the back of the head

H

HaHaHashish

In just about every single MMA fight I watch there's at least a couple of punches to the back of the head and there's usually many more punches that are borderline to the back of the head...this almost always happens when the fight is about 5 or 10 seconds from being stopped and the dazed fighter that is down is already at what would be a TKO stoppage in boxing.

I shake my head in disbelief when I see dazed and down fighters face on the ground getting hard bangs to the back of their heads. Boxing bans these punches and seriously enforces that rule and it's taught in training as they can be lethal or seriously damaging. Do you think MMA regulators should do the same before tragedy strikes.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day M

A standing punch has a lot more power than a punch from your knees .
Apples and oranges .

If a fighter aims a legit strike and the opponent changes position causing it to strike the back side of the head it is the defending fighters mistake . Not the puncher .

A standing count in boxing could be more dangerous . The stunned fighter is attacked by the fully fit fighter in a standing position .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

green404

They are banned in MMA. "Striking to the spine or the back of the head" = Foul.

In martial arts they are commonly called "Rabbit Punches"

A trained MMA fighter will try to punch someone in the temple or the jaw line from the back. A dirty fighter will punch them where the neck connects to the skull(Rabbit punch) very dangerous.. If they hit the back of the temple or jaw line they are in the clear.

MMA is a lot more extreme then boxing.. Referees have to walk a very fine edge. Too much stopping and fouls and the fans will boo them out of their career. on the other side they have to make sure people do not get killed. A lot of referees have gotten in bad raps from fighters and fans for stopping fights too early.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So let them hit the guy dozens of times on the side of the head or once or twice to the back. Your choice. I do not see any advantage either way but potentially you can kill someone from the back or so they say. Prone the punches are never that strong so....

H

HaHaHashish

When was the last time an MMA ref penalized a rabbit punch? I don't watch that many bouts but can't remember seeing that happen (wqhile I see rabbit punches in almost every bout), while in boxing the merest hint of or complaint of a rabbit punch receives a ref's warning.

If a fighter aims a legit strike and the opponent changes position causing it to strike the back side of the head it is the defending fighters mistake . Not the puncher .

i don't know what a MMA ref would rule on that situation but in my book, any strike to any illegal areas of the body should be severely penalized.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
They are banned in MMA. "Striking to the spine or the back of the head" = Foul.

In martial arts they are commonly called "Rabbit Punches"

A trained MMA fighter will try to punch someone in the temple or the jaw line from the back. A dirty fighter will punch them where the neck connects to the skull(Rabbit punch) very dangerous.. If they hit the back of the temple or jaw line they are in the clear.

MMA is a lot more extreme then boxing.. Referees have to walk a very fine edge. Too much stopping and fouls and the fans will boo them out of their career. on the other side they have to make sure people do not get killed. A lot of referees have gotten in bad raps from fighters and fans for stopping fights too early.

G`day G04

Its not the rabbit punch that I`d be worried about ...
Head kicks , they connect with the neck / base of the skull . And have a helluva lot more force than a punch .

Boxing rules have some folks brain washed .

Clarifying The Rule On Strikes To The Back Of The Head

By Dallas Winston Jan 15, 2012, 5:00pm EST
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/...rule-illegal-strikes-silva-prater-dq-yamasaki

o -- this is not another seething diatribe insisting that the rule on illegal strikes to the back of the head needs to be clearly defined in order to end the perpetual confusion. This is a reminder that the illegal strike zone has been quite concisely clarified since the ABC (Association of Boxing Commissions) published their official report on MMA's Unified Rules after their annual meeting in New Orleans in 2008.
Illegal_Striking_Zones_PIC.jpg

The back of the head as you see it and what the rules say might not be the same .

Looking at that graphic there`s a lot of real estate to land a punch on that`s perfectly legal .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

green404

When was the last time an MMA ref penalized a rabbit punch? I don't watch that many bouts but can't remember seeing that happen (wqhile I see rabbit punches in almost every bout), while in boxing the merest hint of or complaint of a rabbit punch receives a ref's warning.

I don't think I have ever seen a rabbit punching in UFC. Can you list a fight ? I have seen a couple of people get fouled from the clinch for hitting that area.
Usually the only punches to the back of the head are just stuff to keep you opponent confused. Hitting the back of someones head hard can lead to a broken hand most fighters don't want it.

IMO the best MMA referee ever is Big John/John McCarthy.

When he first started in the early 90s their was almost no rules fighters were grabbing each other testicles, biting, headbutting. He was like their needs to be more rules. lol Big John help make many of the rules we have now.

Its not the rabbit punch that I`d be worried about ...
Head kicks , they connect with the neck / base of the skull . And have a helluva lot more force than a punch .

I have seen some people get kicked in UFC fights, then the play it back slow motion, you can see the skull just wobble on the their spine~ massive, brutal whip lash. That's the kind of stuff that has permanent damage..

I was reading about rabbit punches a while back and I guess in early UFC and MMA a couple of fighter were using them and the opponents had brain damage months after a couple of people went blind and deaf from them. I guess they can ruin neurological connections.

Boxing rules have some folks brain washed .

Clarifying The Rule On Strikes To The Back Of The Head

By Dallas Winston Jan 15, 2012, 5:00pm EST
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/1...er-dq-yamasaki

Looking at that graphic there`s a lot of real estate to land a punch on that`s perfectly legal .

Good link it clarifies the UFC rules on back of the head strikes.

H

HaHaHashish

Hitting the back of someones head hard can lead to a broken hand most fighters don't want it.

You can break your hands on shoulders, elbows, foreheads, fists etc..but that's not the point, try this, give a tap to the lower center part of the back of your head/upper neck with side part of your hand (a "karate chop"). A light tap is scary, a hard punch could kill or maim.

I have seen some people get kicked in UFC fights, then the play it back slow motion, you can see the skull just wobble on the their spine~ massive, brutal whip lash. That's the kind of stuff that has permanent damage..

So true, every kick to the side must wipe out a few billion brain cells..and what about knees to the face!Damn.

B

Bird~friend

Interesting Convo' . Seen that happen Quite Often in Mma bouts.

" G'day ' M ' EB? " &%$# lol
Are you from the Middle East Hashishhaha:)?

You need to see when M.V.P fought Cyborgs husband. Shocking:yoinks: - perforated Skull. Ref: knees to the face

EB ? Was it you who Posted the x-ray Pic and have you still got it .

Last edited: