What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali China

Ravel

It definitely doesn't smell like cat piss. But there is a smell of some sort of lemony cleaning agent, lemon pledge? The smell is starting to go away after leaving them out of the jars for the evening.

Edit: it's definitely not a BAD smell, just very strong. I've heard ammonia described as "gross" and there's nothing gross about this.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Ravel strong citric lemony terp profiles are quite rare within the different Kali China lines and phenotypes. Wish i could smell the one you comment, each person appreciates and put words to smells in a different way.

Ravel

Hi @Ravel strong citric lemony terp profiles are quite rare within the different Kali China lines and phenotypes. Wish i could smell the one you comment, each person appreciates and put words to smells in a different way.

So the strong citrus smell is almost totally gone from all three plants. The one that smelled the strongest has turned from lemon pledge to the mandarin cream smell you mentioned. It's a really sweet, gentle, comforting smell.

Love the Kali china. Ran packs a few different times. First time I had more squat fast flowering incensey plants. Mango, cream, incense and exotic wood smell. Was very complex and different than anything else I’d grown until that point. Very fast finishers with two of them being fully mature with a good bit of amber at 52 days. I was very surprised. Second pack of seeds a few years later must have been a different version of Kali china as the plants were all taller and longer flowering than the first and slightly less trichomes. A bit More on the Sativa side of things effects wise. I enjoyed it as did my friends. My girlfriend preferred it over the short fast ones.. but I personally really loved the short fast green ones. They were magic for me. Which line will I have best chance to run into these phenos?

I've checked all the buds over and they all look perfectly healthy, and they're all quite dry at this point. I put them back in the jars and they still have an INTENSE citrusy almost chemical smell.

I've heard that poorly dried weed has an ammonia smell, my problem is I have no idea what ammonia smells like haha.

I actually had a Dutch Passion "Durban Poison" that smelled a lot like this in the jars so I'm hoping it's just the nature of the plant.
That intense citrusy chemical smell. I used to get that when I jarred too soon. That smell can take over very fast in barely a day. Very frustrating I know. I never saw any visible mold or mildew growth either. The craziest thing some years back when I first started in a tent I had very high humidity and wasn’t tending the plants as I should have been. Well, wouldn’t you know that smelll you describe took over the LIVE plants that were finishing still. This was totally new to me and pretty devastating. Keep that humidity in check with good air flow especially at end of flower.. you know the deal. Just be on top of it drying for sure . Jarring/bagging too early causes this lemony/citrusy chemical smell and all strains will take on this same exact smell. Flavor will be not too nice. I’ve had mold before. I’ve smelled rotted buds. I never really understood the lemony chemical smell that never showed signs of mold. Happened damn near overnight and the smell just stings the nose. I remember I let the plants with that smell finish for a few week after I noticed it and the smell intensified. Never a sign of mold. Buds looked beautiful. Same smell as the early jarred bud smell. As a result of this happening to me I overdried many following harvest out of fear. I still keep my humidity as low as possible during most of flower years later. That damn smell. It was a dark time in my growing experience . Lol. Shit happens man. Keeps you on your toes

Last edited:

StickyBandit

I let my Kali China clones go because the family weren't super impressed with it. Big mistake! Now the wife really likes it and wants more and the jars are nearly empty :(
She says it's her favorite morning smoke. Strong yet clear and active
Obviously it needs a month or two on it before starting to mature into something special!
I still have a couple of beans left anyways :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag JumpinJimmy :) Glad you and your close circle have been enjoying so much with Kali China!

Although Kali China is currently quite stabilized for the described traits at F4-F5 breeding stage, take in consideration 6 different parent plants are involved into Kali China seed production since its reincarnation 10 years ago: Kali China elite F4 from line 21 reversed, pollinating 4 different F4 females from 2 different lines (21 and 22) and a F3 from a third, previous line, so slight variations between plants can still be found due to coming from different mothers, basically differences one could expect within same family.

The differences you comment between your 2 Kali china grows from seed sound like could be also related to genetics reacting differently to different environments, could be that case ? Please post pics of both grows and comments how were the growing variables in detail in both cases if you want to go more in depth into this topic.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to hear Kali China has become your wife's favorite for morning times after the curing @StickyBandit 🥰
Thanks for your feedback, and please keep looking for from more seeds!

I have just planted 2 kali china fems yesterday in my sip container, this is going to be the 4th round using the same soil. I did not re-amend before planting just a teeny bit of compost cause i know they tend to be a little N sensitive and i plan to add amendmends whenever i see that they need it.

Germinated 2 seeds and accidentally killed one of em and had to plant a new one so the one on the right is about a week behind. Looks like i have 2 different pheno's looking at the leaves as they were fed the same diet (just good ol soil). I have topped them above node 4 and removed node 1 and 2 this just gives me a very easy structure to work with and has proven very helpful in my small grow box ( less than 120cm high, 80cm wide and 40cm deep) and it eliminates small lower buds plus they just grow so symmetrical.

Now that i'm reading more of earlier posts i'm kinda regretting i planted them in summer time because it can get hot in there so i hope i can do them justice and find the creamy mango that i'm looking for! I hope to keep this one in the garden cause i'm a sucker for unique tastes and the creamy mango mandarin just sounds delicious. I hope to make some crosses aswell just for funsies.

Don't mind the plastic in the picture i peeled it back to feel the soil, it's there for water retention.
IMG_20230623_061302.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag @DennisBlackMagic :D thanks for choosing Kali China for your current summer indoor grow. It's a very suitable strain for small spaces. Although we are not yet there, for best quality results try temps don't go higher than 25ºC during flowering. The light coloured one should come from F3 mother while the bigger darker one from F4 mother.

Happy growing!

Welcome to ICMag @DennisBlackMagic :D thanks for choosing Kali China for your current summer indoor grow. It's a very suitable strain for small spaces. Although we are not yet there, for best quality results try temps don't go higher than 25ºC during flowering. The light coloured one should come from F3 mother while the bigger darker one from F4 mother.

Happy growing!
Thanks for that that's exactly what i wanted to know! 😃. Maybe i can hold off the flowering till august so the last month of flowering would be september the temperature should temper a little by then. It's 28c and my lamp is only 10% 🙃. This is gonna be my first ace grow! I also picked up Guawi and New Catelonia although i'm afraid to flower them i think i would have to go 12/12 from seed but i'll make it work.

Very excited for your genetics!

Last edited:

Ras Kali Rasta

Here's my smoke report on my first Kali China. She was grown outdoor in soil at 27S. She finished a bit early in mid March along with a CBD#1. I'm guessing that these short flowering strains enter flowering early at our subtropical lattitude, due to the relatively short summer days.

The predominant flavour is sweet and sour. More specifically, like a Tom Yum soup with too much sugar - as if you used the white amount rather than the right amount, to paraphrase the youtube comedy character, Uncle Roger LOL. With cure, the Kali Mist incense flavour has developed in the background. Very tasty!

An aspect of flavour worth commenting on is that in a vapouriser, unlike most strains, it tastes great all the way to the end of the bowl.

The effects are euphoric, but in a calm sort of a way. Relaxing but not sedative. It gives me the feeling of my scalp and body being massaged - quite sensual, and great for migraine, pain and tension. The head is very clear and feels integrated with the body. Holistic is the word that comes to mind. Another fantastic strain from Ace.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Great, accurate description for Kali China @Ras Kali Rasta thank you very much! :smoke: Glad you like the effect as well. It's not so potent, long lasting or challenging like Panama x Bangi Haze does, but for kind, balanced, healing effects Kali China is my favorite.

Yes, early flowering strains like Kali China react faster with decrease of photoperiod and enter the flowering stage with longer photoperiods (such as 14/10) compated with longer flowering genetics of origins closer to equator which usually need photoperiods of 12/12 (or lesser ) to induce flowering.

Ras Kali Rasta

Great, accurate description for Kali China @Ras Kali Rasta thank you very much! :smoke: Glad you like the effect as well. It's not so potent, long lasting or challenging like Panama x Bangi Haze does, but for kind, balanced, healing effects Kali China is my favorite.

Yes, early flowering strains like Kali China react faster with decrease of photoperiod and enter the flowering stage with longer photoperiods (such as 14/10) compated with longer flowering genetics of origins closer to equator which usually need photoperiods of 12/12 (or lesser ) to induce flowering.

Thanks, dubi. Another observation and question if I may. She wasn't very frosty. I know you recommend cooler temps for the second half of flowering indoors. Do you think that Kali China might be more frosty or otherwise better if vegged indoors and put outdoors into the cooler months to flower in my subtropical climate?

Tranquilidade

1+ year cure Kali China. Still haven't figured out the phenomena of this strain. Certain lesser-known attributes include being ideal for engaging in music, dancing, and expressing oneself creatively in general.
It possesses a certain distinctive funk that I adore, yet I find it difficult to articulate exactly what that is.

kc.jpg

As i was pretty busy the last 10days (went to a festival for a few days and went on holiday straight after) i left the girls untouched and they grew out of control pretty much. Didn't do any training after initial topping so they are not as symmetrical as i would like them to be. But on the positive side they look super healthy and i really enjoy the shape of them, the one on the right (f3 mother) is outgrowing the left one (f4 mother) as expected, but don't forget she's a week younger 😁. Because of this i had to do some topping, snipping and bending and eventually snapped the big one's stem in half. I taped it together and used a tie-wrap to close the wound, and covered it in honey. The pictures i added are from before defoliation, after defoliation, the wound, some bonus pics of a healthy soil and how she bounced back this morning. It looks like i might get in trouble in flower cause theyre getting big so i'm going to flip tomorrow when i get back home giving her time to adapt to her new form.

@dubi would 13/11 be recommended to reduce stretch? Not that worried about the left one but i am about the right.
Oh yeah i need to make a screen ASAP. 😅

Attachments

• IMG_20230722_085541.jpg
    IMG_20230722_085541.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230722_090311.jpg
    IMG_20230722_090311.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20230722_090216.jpg
    IMG_20230722_090216.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20230721_214851.jpg
    IMG_20230721_214851.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20230721_195747.jpg
    IMG_20230721_195747.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230721_195757.jpg
    IMG_20230721_195757.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230721_212054.jpg
    IMG_20230721_212054.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20230721_212125.jpg
    IMG_20230721_212125.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20230721_195242.jpg
    IMG_20230721_195242.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20230721_195301.jpg
    IMG_20230721_195301.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 98

Common Sense

Congrats on your nice looking Kali China grow @DennisBlackMagic . I very much love the multifaceted effects she has - but always very kind - and need to plant her again ASAP, since I am about to run out of her flowers. I've grown her twice and think you will be okay if you switch her to 12/12 now (maybe with a little bending here or there). She does not strech a whole lot. Her short flowering time is consistent, so I think there is no need to go 11/13. I don't think that will make a big difference in stretching.

Thanks for your kind words @Common Sense . I'm very happy with how they're performing so far. She definitely seems interesting i can't wait to smoke her especially after all the detailed reviews i have been reading 😁 I made a screen today and after some bondage i feel more confident in controlling their height. Canopy is manageable now. Flipping to 12/12 after a night's rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_191234.jpg
    IMG_20230723_191234.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230723_144332.jpg
    IMG_20230723_144332.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 82

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks, dubi. Another observation and question if I may. She wasn't very frosty. I know you recommend cooler temps for the second half of flowering indoors. Do you think that Kali China might be more frosty or otherwise better if vegged indoors and put outdoors into the cooler months to flower in my subtropical climate?

In our experience, Kali China prefers for best resin production outdoor temps in flowering between 15-25ºC and indoors 20-25ºC, higher than that makes more bio mass, bigger buds, but not so frosty. Also depends on individual, although in average higher yielding, brown expressions are usually not so resinous, while the purple expressions of lower yields are usually the most resinous.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @DennisBlackMagic They indeed look healthy and happy despite your absence. Being Kali China a hashplant indica, this genetics deal quite well indoors with long dry periods, better than most strains.

Kali China doesn't stretch much in early flowering, looks like you have them under control so i wouldn't worry much about it. 12/12 flowering schedule works great with this strain.