What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaves dry, brittle and folding down - HUMIDITY?

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
yeah sorry i have no experience with coco! i was talking about my soil plants! don't listen to arcticblast

ArcticBlast

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
overwatering with coco is possible if you're watering a small rootball in a big pot. I'm actually surprised that my plant is rootbound. Coco is FAST.

hazy

Veteran
haha! No sweat AB.

Have you been giving straight water the last week? That may have helped, now you should keep on with the feeding. You have a bit of N deficiency showing. Big myth around here about clawing leaves being a N toxicity. Most likely a Ca def.

things like Sulfer and Boron defs can cause dry brittle leaves.

If it was heat from being too close to the bulbs, you'd see some scorching i would think. I don't know if vertical is better, but what about getting light to the top of the plants?

I don't know on the bulbs. Dang, I need to get new bulbs soon too.

If your talking about clipping off those big fans that are bent and curled down, don't. They won't recover but are still good green leaves doing good work.

On the humidity. The humidity where I live is about 20% right now(typical, we swing from 10% to 65%). I don't have an rh meter, but my room is probably somewhat higher than that because of the wet coco, but I'm sure it's not even 50% maybe only 30%. So I don't know how much that has been affecting you.

I think you should flip them.
They look to be too big to try to wait for them to out grow the stunt.

btw, i think you pH may have more to do with your problems than your RH.

also i missed or forgot that you water multiple times a day. Once or twice with a fast growing plant is good. Have you potted them up?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I've been giving them just water with a drop of superthrive and 1ml of calmag/gal the past week. I don't think I said I was watering 5 times a day.. I water(ed) once a day only, with run off. All plants are rootbound (roots on the bottom of the pot, circling).

I switched to vertical because the plants are different heights and the branches are too thick to bend (some broke when I tried to bend them). I figure that, plus the fact that I don't have a reflector over the cooltube, would make it inefficient to have the bulb on top as opposed to the side.

Either way I just wanna get through this harvest and then re-do my setup. Perhaps switch to 2x 250w CMH if I'm going vertical, or 1x 600w and scrog.

pH could very well be the issue.. I never did trust this pH meter. I'm using 6/9 but with calmag instead of epsom salt. Though now that I think about it. I remember foilar feeding with epsom salt a few weeks back because I thought I had a sulfur/Mg def.. maybe that had something to do with it? or that + being too close to the light burned up the leaves?

J

jim_browsky

haha! No sweat AB.

On the humidity. The humidity where I live is about 20% right now(typical, we swing from 10% to 65%). I don't have an rh meter, but my room is probably somewhat higher than that because of the wet coco, but I'm sure it's not even 50% maybe only 30%. So I don't know how much that has been affecting you.

I think you should flip them.
They look to be too big to try to wait for them to out grow the stunt.

btw, i think you pH may have more to do with your problems than your RH.

^^^^+1
I've never used coco, so excuse me if this is totally off base,
but pH 5.3-5.4 for veg is too low in my experience. In hydroton
and rockwool I start them at 5.6 and drift up to 6.2 by that time
they're usually ready for flower. For flower 5.3-5.4 is okay to start,
but even that is low for the whole cycle. I agree with Hazy that you should
switch those, I'v had many plants recover from minor problems
like yours, just by the new light regimen, feeding schedule,
etc.(my flowering room is about three times the size of my veg,
so they like that too)

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
On the road to recovery!

I moved to the light to the top, about 1.5 feet away from the plants, and induced 12/12.

I fed 6/9 + calmag at pH 5.7. I borrowed my friend's pH meter (Hanna 98129) - main diff between this and my own meter is this one has ATC, Automatic Temperature Compensation. Basically it's more accurate. When mixing nutes my water is 14C.

It has been 3 days. New shoots are growing everywhere and new leaves are healthy!

Thanks all

One Love 731

Veteran
This is a ph flux. I am running 6/9 with great success, Rez recipe slightly modified for recirculating. Check out "The Recipe" in the Rez forum. This happens sometimes when I hit them with Koolbloom, Your ph is key. Water with nutes every time in coco, the plants need to get use to there environment. When mixing nutes, set the ph at close to 5.5 it will drift up slowly giving your girls a chance to get everything they need. If I ever flush because of a problem I use 1/2 strength nutes. Just mix your nutes as I said, water once a day. The trick is to find out how much water/nutes they need yet still be slightly dry on the surface when watering next. foilar feed should be ph'd at 5.5, use a drop of non anti bacterial soap as a spreader. Hazy's leading ya down the right path, just be careful who ya take your advice from. Karma, One Love

natrone23

Are you sure those leaves are getting light.

I have some tall mothers that are out growing my light

and the the branches that are above my light which don't get that much light have that exact same leaf curl, but the leaves exposed to light are just fine(on the same plant).

I have had leaf curl in the past from a nitrigen toxcity but with that the entire plant was dark green and the leaf curl was everywhere eventually burning the leaves. looked differnt the the low light leaf curl.

I bet you I'm right:biggrin:

natrone23

On the road to recovery!

I moved to the light to the top, about 1.5 feet away from the plants, and induced 12/12.

I fed 6/9 + calmag at pH 5.7. I borrowed my friend's pH meter (Hanna 98129) - main diff between this and my own meter is this one has ATC, Automatic Temperature Compensation. Basically it's more accurate. When mixing nutes my water is 14C.

It has been 3 days. New shoots are growing everywhere and new leaves are healthy!

Thanks all

Oh dam I didn't even see this post lol

Latest posts

Latest posts