What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

poor mans setup...Deadwood!

So let me begin with saying this is my first REAL attempt at growing cannabis. I would not have made this far if it wasn't for icmag forums! i got so much advise from experiened gardeners that i felt i owed a diary to possibly help future sprouts! I also want to show people that it doesnt take thousands of dollars to have a successful garden. I have met so many growers near me that have borrowed tons of money to get a setup going and have never even grown before..im not saying a big tent with super cooled lights and all the bells and whistles isnt awsome! in fact that may be my goal...but no need to jump right in untill i know a little more about what Im doing!

My set-up: Six slot bubbleponics (DWC)-free (hand me down)
400w hps ballast with socket-free ballast -3$socket
Grow lamp for said ballast-30$
40w t-12 fixture/ballast-free (hand me down)
T-12 grow lamp-20$
Reflector made from an old popcorn tin cut in half
co2 tank-Free (hand me down from brewing buddy)

Nutes-general organics go box 30$
H2O2-27$
ph down-20$
Mosquito dunks-5$ (damn you root aphids!!)

That being said i will make with some pics! and get this under way... one last thing i am an electrician so wiring old ballast is easy for me i would not recommend it for beginners, it is very VERY dangerous!!!

Last edited:
As you can see by the photos my closet was not even close to clean i had a lot to learn back then!
picture.php

This is right about the time of my first visit to icmag i wanted to know what was causing the tiny brown spots on the edges of my leaves. The first thing i came across was of course ca/ma deficiency.(a big thanks and props to mynamestitch for his/her complete guide to sick plants) I started ph testing thinking nutes were getting locked out and even though my ph was a little high it shouldn't have bothered them too much. I added some Ph down and waited a couple days....looking back now this was also about they time i started noticing what i thought were fruit flys. but didnt give much thought to this because i live in an area that is know for its fruit harvests and fruit flys are very common.

Last edited:
As you can see problems just kept coming although i was still seeing great new growth. I made several visits back to stiches thread and what i figured was because i was using city water i must have nutrient lock out due to the sodium in the tap water. Also about this time i had to keep a blanket over the closet door which raised the temp which in turn gave me a nasty slimy bacteria on the surface of the water and my roots. So new water.(store bought distilled) and some new nutes and some h2o2 i thought i was back on track

Voidling

I've been trying go in coco without luck. Wish I could find my dwc setup so I could try to copy you. Are you going by their feeding chart?

ROOT APHIDS!!

ROOT APHIDS!!

after the change and a move to a cleaner more compact area i finally started to wonder about these bugs flying around. Soo back to icmag I went for another visit to stiches amazing thread and low and behold ROOT APHIDS...Everything every one said was very disheartening, i was devastated, but happy that i found out what the problem is. I went to my local grow store who has also been a huge help and they recommended mosquito dunks ground up and sprinkled over my medium..I am sad to say this has reduced their numbers but not completely killed them off. so i am very interested to hear what anyone else has to say.

I've been trying go in coco without luck. Wish I could find my dwc setup so I could try to copy you. Are you going by their feeding chart?

i have been using just over their light feeding recommendations on the bottles it works great for me so far ...I have only completely changed the water out three times but now that I am starting to flower I will do it every week or two.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
buy yourself a cheap ($18) TDS meter if you don't have one. you can get one on Amazon the goes up to 1999 ppm for less than $18. that takes the guess work out of the nutrients.

if you live in a decent sized city than your water should be ok, but i would check it.

i like to keep it as simple as possible... so,

i use the lucas formula in dwc and have never had any of the issues you brought up...

i started out doing 3 or 4 rez changes during the life cycle of a plant, but i even stopped doing that with no residual problems. just check the water level and nute level and make adjustments.

best of luck :tiphat:

deadwood

deadwood

picture.php
for those unfamiliar with this strain this is the goal...NOT MINE JUST A NICE PIC OF WHAT IM HOPING FOR

Last edited:

ripOG

Good work brotha, especially for your first grow! AYou're gonna have a couple trees in there! I'd keep an eye on some of those dead leaves and cut them off right away. I like to remove as much necrotic plant material from the grow room as possible to avoid pests. You sure you had aphids and not just gnats?